How to "force" junk transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, I found a '97 4x4 Ram for $400. Has some work on the engine but the tranny is toast. If I bought this, it would be strictly for parts, particularly the sweet bed box in the bed as well as a few interior and exterior parts. I'm pretty sure I could get $400 worth of stuff out of it but paying for a flatbed would eclipse the benefits.

It's not driveable as-is due to the transmission. For my own curiosity, would it be possible to maybe dump some crap into the transmission to give it just enough life to travel, say, 100 miles? Doesn't have to last, just has to make it.

Otherwise, no big loss. Just curious if anyone has ever successfully "forced" a toasted tranny to go just a bit longer.

Lesnocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on what's shot.....If it's the tourqe converter is never going to move. The pump is another no go. Slipping is another story. So if it's not even trying to move I wouldn't waste the time.

Years ago my buddies first car was a 14 year old 86 Mercury Topaz. It lost 2nd gear. So we were stuck in first into we hit a long enough hill to skip into 3rd. Literally were driving it to the junk yard. Before we left I filled the transmission up to the top of the dipstick tube. Just to see what would happen. blew tranny fluid everywhere naturally. Mile down the road we were having fun 20 mph bouncing off the governor smoke pouring everywhere. CLUNK.....2nd gear. Drove it another 4 years sold it. last I heard it's still going. Never did figure out why it worked.

Point I'm makeing is have fun. Junk anyways. Try sawdust or whatever old wives tale that ya heard.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If it's got the same motor as your's then it'd make a good donor. Hell, maybe even pull the motor and do work to it as a project then swap the motors later.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Go buy some lucas slip fix and dump it in. Let it idle in neutral for about 10 minutes, then see if it drives. If it moves, it should make it as long as you baby the thing, but i'd keep a truck with a tow strap handy.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It might be a good way to experiment on doing a tranny rebuild if you've never done it before.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you are selling some parts, I’m in need of some trans parts...

Rmck85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
What is the trans doing? Does it have a code? Mine felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear and had a code for the governor pressure sensor. For 250 bucks I fixed it on my garage floor and have put over 12k on it.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the input, guys. Guy had no idea what was up with the tranny and he ended up selling it to someone else.

Only thing that sucks is the guy had a Hughes Airgap on the engine, which is a big reason why I was interested in the thing. I tried but he wouldn't part with just that or even the engine. Had to take the whole truck. Probably would have been worth it to have it towed or hauled but I guess hindsight is 20/20.