How to keep radio playing when on ACC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just go a "new to me" 2016 1500, and i am really enjoying it. I like to play tunes when i'm in the garage but noticed there is some "feature" that automagically shuts off my stereo after 30 minutes with the engine off and the RKE on ACC. Doesn't seem to matter if the key fob is in my pocket or on the dash. Is there some fix, setting or mod to allow ME to choose how long or when to shut off the radio? Cause it is mildly annoying in the garage but will be a huge pain in ass when I'm camping.

OP
OP
O

Outwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
by encoded do you mean its part of the software/firmware of Uconnect?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What does it matter if it’s encoded in the uconnect, the gauge cluster, the dome light or the passenger side tail light? It’s not a user changeable setting. At all.

OP
OP
O

Outwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well if it was a setting in the Uconnect i was thinking maybe one of the jailbreakers might be able to disable it. The other thing i don't get is why no one seems to care about this? Doesn't anyone listen to their car stereos anymore? Or do you all just leave your truck running while you do it?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me at least, I have too many amps to try and run the stereo on accessory for any length of time. I’d be worried about killing the battery.

When we camp, someone almost always has some type of portable Bluetooth speaker.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have noticed this problem. Most campgrounds you can't be too loud so I guess a Bluetooth does the trick. My place I can go as loud as I want. Neighbours can hear it, but only if they're outside and they're worse than me for noisyness so they can't complain even if they wanted too. Seems to stay on longer with the ignition full on vs accessory. I let it run a bit though so I don't kill the battery.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We're usually camping in the desert somewhere. Music is either a big bluetooth (looks like wheeled luggage) or some nice big system built into the outside wall of a Toy Hauler.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the truck in "on" (maybe it's "run") instead of "acc". Either way it's a great feature so you don't kill your battery.

OP
OP
O

Outwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would just prefer to have the option to do as i like. With my stock stereo i've played it for hours without any problems with the battery. So for me to have a setting where i could adjust the timeout for 2, 3 hours or to never shut off would be my preference.