How to remove nut sert for tailgate assist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My deezee assist nutsert stripped out a while back and I chuckedbit, finally got a new one, how can it get the old nutsert out?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you have the installation tool, you can try to over crush it to the point that it snaps off the ears. We've gotten them out that way before. The other method is to use a drill bit slightly larger than the bolt and then knock off the ears with a punch.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had to remove a stripped one from the used F150 we bought a few months ago. In my case it was pretty easy since it was a little loose anyway. I slid a large flat screwdriver under the outer lip and pried it up far enough to be able to grab it with a good set of pliers. From there it was just a matter of enough applied force to get it out. In your case I'd probably try loosening it with a drift and hammer to get it to the point where you can do what I did. Or you can try drilling it out like suggested above. But I suspect it might just spin in the hole once the bit grabs it enough to cut through it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carefully grind the head flat or super thin, then punch it through the sheet metal. If you pull the access panel off, you'd probably be able to find what's left of it and remove it so it doesn't rattle. Dremel with a sander attachment should make quick work of it.