I just received the latest Recall for 2016 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The National Highway Traffic Safety Association sent this to me.

W58/NHTSA 20V-475

The Magnetic Material attached to the Tone wheel, provides a signal to the Crankshaft Position Sensor
If the material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing.
The loss of crankshaft position can result in engine stall, as well as the loss the ability to restart the engine.
A loss of motive power can cause a vehicle to crash without prior warning.

FCA will repair the vehicle by reprogramming the PCM to maintain engine operation if the Magnetic Material is lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First thing i wonder about, is it only the Ecodiesel engines having this issue

It does not mention anything about replacing the Tone Wheel
I guess that is not a safety part of the fix

I think that the Tone Ring may be the same thing as an Reluctor Ring,
If it is, the ring is on the Crankshaft

I also wonder if this also happens in other years & they are sending this out to those other years in some kind of sequence

Last edited:

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The National Highway Traffic Safety Association sent this to me.

W58/NHTSA 20V-475

The Magnetic Material attached to the Tone wheel, provides a signal to the Crankshaft Position Sensor
If the material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing.
The loss of crankshaft position can result in engine stall, as well as the loss the ability to restart the engine.
A loss of motive power can cause a vehicle to crash without prior warning.

FCA will repair the vehicle by reprogramming the PCM to maintain engine operation if the Magnetic Material is lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First thing i wonder about, is it only the Ecodiesel engines having this issue

It does not mention anything about replacing the Tone Wheel
I guess that is not a safety part of the fix

I think that the Tone Ring may be the same thing as an Reluctor Ring,
If it is, the ring is on the Crankshaft

I also wonder if this also happens in other years & they are sending this out to those other years in some kind of sequence
What engine is that on ?

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have the 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

I just wondered if it was also for other engines

Nietzsche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 and 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.0L diesel engines. The crankshaft position sensor tone wheel may delaminate causing the engine to lose its ability to synchronize the fuel injector pulses and cam shaft timing, possibly resulting in an engine stall.

FCA US will notify owners, and dealers will update the powertrain control module software to maintain vehicle propulsion by reading the camshaft position signal in the event that the crankshaft position signal is lost, free of charge. The recall began February 18, 2021. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-2002. FCA US's number for this recall is W58.

Date Announced
AUG 13, 2020
Vehicles Affected
Ram Recall #
W58
NHTSA Campaign #
20V475000

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup, sounds like another spit on it ,then band-aid. Quarter assed fix attempt. Another reason my truck will never see a dealership for anything,ever.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hooray for Italia! Never heard of magnet separation before. I'm so old I remember ring gear teeth counters as being new-fangled.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This applies to the 3.0 ecodiesel only.
I've replaced few magnetic tone wheels on them before. The first one was not easy to diagnose and not a fun job to replace.
Sounds like the recall will allow the truck to run if the tone wheel fails, I assume the check engine light will come on though.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like the recall will allow the truck to run if the tone wheel fails, I assume the check engine light will come on though.
That was my thought too. So is the tone ring internal or external? Typically recalls are a safety issue that drives them so by doing the software change removes the safety part by allowing the engine to keep running, so therefore no recall. They will leave the cost up to the owners.

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that i still have another year on my Extended Warranty on my 2016
I bought the 7 year extended warranty in January 2016
It was the same day that my factory ordered Ram was dropped off at the dealership

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This only applies to the eco diesel. The tone wheel is a plastic ring that goes on the back of the crankshaft flange before the flexplate goes on.

I’m fairly certain the recall is just a flash that if the magnetic material comes loose, it will just run off the cam sensor and ignore the crank sensor.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
First thing i wonder about, is it only the Ecodiesel engines having this issue Yes

It does not mention anything about replacing the Tone Wheel No parts are replaced
I guess that is not a safety part of the fix It is a safety recall

I think that the Tone Ring may be the same thing as an Reluctor Ring, The recall calls it "the crankshaft position tone wheel"

If it is, the ring is on the Crankshaft Yes

I also wonder if this also happens in other years & they are sending this out to those other years in some kind of sequence It applies to all Ecodiesels built through March 2018

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So they update the software to read camshaft in case crankshaft trigger fails.

So, what then? Are they going to leave it like that?

Say it's reprogrammed, and your trigger delaminates. The cam position program saves you from a stall. Then what?

Hopefully it throws a code so that the original failure can be addressed. What if your out of warranty when it fails? S.O.L.?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So they update the software to read camshaft in case crankshaft trigger fails.

So, what then? Are they going to leave it like that?

Say it's reprogrammed, and your trigger delaminates. The cam position program saves you from a stall. Then what?

Hopefully it throws a code so that the original failure can be addressed. What if your out of warranty when it fails? S.O.L.?

The update is to allow the engine to still operate only using the cam signals. If crank signal is lost a code will set but at least the engine will still run and won’t leave you stranded.

If it happens out of warranty then it’s likely no different then any other out of warranty failure.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
There is an exception to all of the above.

If you opted out of the AEM emissions update you are not eligible for this W58 recall. You have a W68 recall that does not change the software, it fixes the problem. It replaces the crankshaft position tone wheel. Out of warranty or not, you get the new part and labor for free.

We think you (an opt outer) are not eligible for the W58 because you have pre AEM software in your ECU. And the software update is designed only for the post AEM ECUs. It is probably cheaper to replace your crankshaft position tone wheel than design new software.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Because i have not been driving much, due to illness, since February 2000, I have not needed a Oil Change, my Oil Life now reads 20% & i don't even have 4,000 miles on my Ecodiesel since the last service.
I don't go to the dealership unless i need oil changes, then i take care of any notices that i have received.

If i take it to the dealership & they keep it for say 3 days, i think that i would miss a Drs. Appointment, i am currently seeing 3 Doctors fairly often.
I am getting better, i can at least spit about 5 feet, better than 4 months ago when i couldn't spit any distance at all. Damn Flu
:)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Because i have not been driving much, due to illness, since February 2000, I have not needed a Oil Change, my Oil Life now reads 20% & i don't even have 4,000 miles on my Ecodiesel since the last service.
I don't go to the dealership unless i need oil changes, then i take care of any notices that i have received.

If i take it to the dealership & they keep it for say 3 days, i think that i would miss a Drs. Appointment, i am currently seeing 3 Doctors fairly often.
I am getting better, i can at least spit about 5 feet, better than 4 months ago when i couldn't spit any distance at all. Damn Flu
:)

So sorry to hear you've been down, and for so long.
That means you've not been working either - bummer.
I live over the hill in Bonita. If you ever need a ride to the doc or somewhere give me a shout. I'll pm my email and telly.

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Thanks Again, i know the Highway 76 through Bonita quite well, i have walked almost every inch of it.
I used to work for Caltrans from July 1970 to October 2003, doing Highway Repair