I may trade in Ram, are my Mods worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,

I may trade in my 2017 Ram 4x4 Night Edition for a Ford Raptor. The painful part...The investments I've made towards the truck. Some include: bilstein shocks, wheels, tires, running boards, 1.5" body lift, vararam air grabber, etc.

Do you think these mods will hurt during their valuation process?
If it doesn't hurt me, how much value should I expect to receive (I've invested probably close to $4,000)?

I'm considering a trade-in because of the tax benefits.

Thx :)

Last edited:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi, not to get off topic, but could you please elaborate regarding the tax benefits?

I would guess that you'll loose a ton of money each time you deal with the dealership - be it buy or especially trade in, and I can't imagine how it could be beneficial ever to do this transaction to gain anything monetary but personal satisfaction.

I'd be surprised if they give you anything close to what you spend on your mods, as while they worth something to you, it may not worth much to others. People can easily buy a new truck and do mods by themselves, especially ones who value these mods and willing to pay premium for the truck, it is pleasure to get the modes that you want, why buy a truck and risk that something may be wrong with your mods.

I spend $4k on a ARE dcu commercial camper shell and bedrug on my truck, and I automatically assume that it won't increase price of my truck by more than $1k at most. Which I'm bummed about...

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They wont give you a penny for them sadly. Used Rams don't have a lot of value on trades.

travelinty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most dealerships will give you a trade in value and you can ask them straight up if any of this (extras) are going to effect it at all. But my honest guess is you may get 10-15% value for what you paid. I've traded multiple vehicles over the years and I end up getting a quote driving home tearing out everything that I can going back and making the deal. But do hit up a few different dealerships I just traded in a 2016 trail hawk Cherokee that had 2500 kms on it, to my 17 ram sport and there was 10k difference in trade in value between the only 2 ram dealerships in town. I almost had a very stock ST And now I have a fully loaded sport with every option exact same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Like others have stated your not going to see any money back on your modifications. I too would get a trade in value then remove whatever you can and sell them separately, most notably the rims and tires. Sometimes it can be a negative thing to have modifications on a vehicle but usually this doesn’t apply to trucks. Curious if your looking at a new or used Raptor. New ones are usually marked up ridiculously at the dealership and used ones don’t really depreciate. I get the tax break with trading it in. I probably could of gotten another $3-4K by selling my 2015 privately but I saved $2300 in sales tax so it wasn’t worth the hassle to me to get an extra grand.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They wont give you a penny for them sadly. Used Rams don't have a lot of value on trades.

wrong on so many fronts Ram are in demand new or used unlike so many brand that have so much stock sitting on lot and valueless used trucks less than 8 years old

try car max for a buy out option

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My experience over the years is you won't see any return on your mods versus a stock truck. I agree with the others, a lot of folks don't want a modded truck when they buy. They want stock and then make the mods they want.

You have to find the folks who want and appreciate those mods. It's a much smaller market typically. As suggested, you may want to pull off your mods and go back to stock, then sell your mods separately. Or maybe ask the dealer about it, but then agsin I don't know if they'd be strsight with you. I think you'd make out better that way (pulling the mods )

I hope it works out for you though and your happy with the raptor. They are sweet! Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jarzo

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, not to get off topic, but could you please elaborate regarding the tax benefits?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Trading it in, has sales tax benefit. If the trade in value is $40k, and the new vehicle purchase price is 70k, you end up paying sales tax on just the difference ($30k).

The truck has 35x12.5x17 Falken wild peak at3w tires.

The price on a raptor is ridiculous. Just a few months ago dealers marked them up $10k above sticker. Some are still selling them above sticker, but a good percentage are sold at msrp.

I figured the mods would be worthless. I have a feeling the dealerships will pinpoint everything as a flaw (e.g lift kit, etc). I'll strip off what I can and sell it.

The high demand for the raptors doesn't help with the trade in. If they low ball me on my truck, I'll just hold onto it. I still love my ram, just got an itch for the raptor.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't see any extra money trade in wise. You can remove them and sell them for around half of what they cost new. Usually around the going rate for used mods. Give or take. I usually just strip my vehicles down before trade in so I don't have to hear the whole "well we'll have to find a specific buyer who wants this vehicle set up exactly like this so I have to give you less than what it's worth incase it sits here for a while" speech.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
In my experience, the dealership will give you nothing extra on trade, but if you leave the mods and trade it in, the dealership sees dollar signs for selling it.

I would remove what mods you can and sell them separately as stated. Thats cash in your pocket.

goose2232

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fully agree with post above, remove everything that is basically bolt on

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol dealerships don't give a **** what you did to your ram...in fact, it often times hurts the deal as its harder for them to sell it depending on how much you've done to it.

I will outright be selling mine to some 23 year old kid who wants a lifted ram if the time ever came for me to sell it.

A dealer would give me pennies.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Exactly! Dealer will say “it’s a hard sale to sell lifted truck because it’s limited market then”.
Which is b.s. lol. Honestly what’s it really worth if you take the time and aggravation to take the stuff off and sell it outright? Usually not worth the hassle unless it’s easy stuff to get off.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your going to loose your ass on the deal either way... a few grand in mods isn’t going to make a difference. Hell for how bad your going to loose you might as well put a supercharger on the Ram and keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The amount you would save on tax by trading in is going to be pennies compared to the amount you will be loosing by selling a year old truck, plus the cost of the mods that are almost worthless to the value.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope mods don’t add value only way your gonna recoup some of that is but returning it back to stock and sell what mods u can in the classified.

Same reason when I’m shopping for a new car or truck if I find one that looks like it’s modded I avoid it like the plague rather get a stock truck and do my own taste not knowing the history of a modded one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
May I ask how come you want to sell the truck that you just bought and put so many mods in?

OP
OP
jarzo

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May I ask how come you want to sell the truck that you just bought and put so many mods in?

Too much disposable income. :)

I'll take off what I can. Some stuff just not worth taking off like the Bilstein shocks, and the body lift. I'm just worried they'll tell me that I've depreciated the truck because of body lift.

Here's something nutty....I just sold my 2016 Hellcat to someone who was.....21 years old! Crazy right! He really wanted a Hellcat. When I was 21, I was driving my parent's old beat up Cadillac. :)