I may trade in Ram, are my Mods worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t have a body lift, different rims, leveling kit, so on and so forth stuff like that but I do intend to take the tonneau cover off, MTX subwoofer box out from under the rear seat and stick them cargo panel things back in, them still fairly brand new Anzo LED tail lights and Anzo 3rd brake light, and maybe my Rugged Ridge front and rear floor mats all out/off when I go to trade my 08 in for my new ‘18 Ram when I get it. I have a K&N CAI on the motor but I’m not sure how much I’d be able to resell that. It’s almost 5 years old which is how long I’ve had the truck so I may just leave it in there. Plus I’ll have a Trinity T-1000 Diablo Sport tuner for sale since programming anything newer than a ‘16/‘17 requires a new pcm so won’t need that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take the mods off. You will lose your ass in the deal........Chrysler products tend to fall off in value faster the first two years than other brands. But hey, what’s eight grand back if you have disposable income? Been there spent that. Probably had over 50 new cars. Always got smoking deals, but these things are hardly investments— they’re entertainment.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Take whatever aftermarket parts or mods you have on the truck off of it. You're much better off selling them separately. When I was younger and more naive I traded in my 2011 RAM on a 2013 Dodge Charger RT. I told my salesmen I wanted to leave my mods with the truck for the next owner. Those ******** took everything out of it. The tinted tails and third brake light, the light bar, the slush mats, etc... Guessing they either sold them, or one of their techs put them on his own truck. How did I find out? I forgot to put the carpet mats back in with the truck so I posted them up on Craigslist. A person called me informing me they just bought a truck from the same dealer I traded mine in at and it was missing the mats so they wanted a set. When I described the truck to them they had bought my truck, so I ended up giving them the mats for free and I told them all of the other things that should've been on the truck and that when I sold the truck part of the deal was to keep those parts on it.

So moral of the story, take your **** off, and sell it... Otherwise some tech is going to get free parts for his truck, or they'll sell it for extra $$$ that should've been yours.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the amount of money you will receive for the parts if you pull them worth the time it will take to get them off?

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll put in another vote to remove your mods and sell them separately. It's funny because dealers will low ball you on a trade in on a lifted truck with wheels/tires but put a premium on the same truck on their lot because of the lift,wheels,tires,etc.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must admit, the Raptors are pretty sweet. But yes, as others have stated, you will probably lose a little bit of your ass on the trade in.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,

I may trade in my 2017 Ram 4x4 Night Edition for a Ford Raptor. The painful part...The investments I've made towards the truck. Some include: bilstein shocks, wheels, tires, running boards, 1.5" body lift, vararam air grabber, etc.

Do you think these mods will hurt during their valuation process?
If it doesn't hurt me, how much value should I expect to receive (I've invested probably close to $4,000)?

I'm considering a trade-in because of the tax benefits.

Thx :)
I would expect to receive zero value, but I wouldn't think they'd dock you on trade value. They would certainly use your mods as an excuse to upcharge the next guy though :happy107:

When I traded in my Ram 2 months ago, I took off all the mods that were convenient to, and left my suspension components alone. Been having a hard time reselling the stuff I kept...

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last summer I traded a truck with a lot of mods....wheels, tires, camper shell, after market leather, sprayed in bed liner, and a bunch of other stuff. They offered my the same on trade as if it was a bare bones truck. They would only come up $600 when I said to forget it.

I thought about selling it myself, but then the cost of sales tax would have been outrageous. So, I did pull of a few things and sucked up the loss.....f@ck!!!

erice

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 slt
Engine
Every truck I have traded in I lost out on the mods so I keep the parts I can rims tires etc then sell
off later told if down south I get more money but not up north no clue if true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jarzo

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the responses....

I'm pretty impressed with the trade in value of my 2017 Ram. :):)

The dealer gave me $39,750 for it, and paid msrp for the Raptor (what they are going for).

I didn't pay taxes on the 39,750 so one can argue it was equivalent to me "selling it" for $43,000 (39,750 x 1.0825 sales tax).

I had a Ram in 2009-11, and in 2017. I'm sure I'll be back. :)

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Too much disposable income! Why are you worrying about it. Move on! It will only hurt for a little while and then you'll forget about it.

If you weren't worried about the mods when you bought em' and put them on the truck, why worry now. Move on!

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
One more thought..... There is no wrong decision here. But I'll give a little more input/opinion.

We purchase mods because we can afford them and then install to enjoy them; not to get every penny out of them when we sell the vehicle.

I installed a trailer hitch on a car and used it for 10 years. I took the trailer hitch off of the car before trading it in thinking I could reuse it or sell it. That was 8 years ago. The unit still sits in my garage and I've since moved it around at least a hundred times!

If you get that Raptor, think how much you'll loose in depreciation when you drive it off the lot or when you trade it in! That may put the costs of the mods in perspective. (No, I'm not trolling, just giving you a different and extreme perspective).

In reality, if ya need the money and you have the time and enjoy sell stuff, take em' off and sell them.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered even knowing that they are basically worthless as they sit on the truck now.

There is no wrong decision here.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Hey,

I may trade in my 2017 Ram 4x4 Night Edition for a Ford Raptor. The painful part...The investments I've made towards the truck. Some include: bilstein shocks, wheels, tires, running boards, 1.5" body lift, vararam air grabber, etc.

Do you think these mods will hurt during their valuation process?
If it doesn't hurt me, how much value should I expect to receive (I've invested probably close to $4,000)?

I'm considering a trade-in because of the tax benefits.

Thx :)

Nope, expect nothing. And in some cases the MODS will reduce the trade in value. They will claim the vehicle is only of resale value to a limited target group.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I hear the 19 Ram Refresh is coming in Jan 18 with the 19's in Dealership by end of March 18....They say the there is a Ram that will go heads up with a Raptor!