I need help/thoughts/advice on PW I am looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m in the market to buy a PW and have one in mind. I have done as much homework on this one as I can, but have one concern. If you look at the pictures attached it’s missing the passenger’s side power wagon decal. The dealership stated that the previous owner had a company decal there, therefore they removed the decal when it was traded in. I guess it’s plausible, but my concern/question is why does the PW still have the driver’s side power wagon decal still on it? Usually most company vehicles I’ve seen put their decal on both sides of the vehicle.

The PW has a clean CARFAX with no reported accidents, but my concern is that it may have been in an accident and/or bed damage and not reported. Maybe the decal was removed when it was repaired?

This leads me to my next question: 1. Is it actually a sticker decal or is the power wagon painted on? 2. If it is a decal where could I buy another one? I’ve searched for an answer and am still unsure.

The PW is for sale at a Dodge/Ram dealership and listed as a Certified Pre-Owned. It’s a 2017 with under 18k miles. Am I over thinking this/concerned? It has every option and the color I want. IMG_0902.jpgIMG_0903.jpgI’m hoping all the PW owners on here can give me their thoughts and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds plausible, strange but plausible. Will the stealership allow you to take it to a body shop for a second opinion?

Good luck friend.

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds plausible, strange but plausible. Will the stealership allow you to take it to a body shop for a second opinion?

Good luck friend.

The truck is 3 1/2 hours from me so I’m using a company called Lemon Squad that’s nation wide and they send an ASE certified mechanic on my behalf to do an inspection of the vehicle for a cost. I noted to them my specific concerns. While he/she may not be a body shop technician, I’m hoping he/she would be able to tell if body work/repairs have been done.

Thanks!

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I wouldn't fuss, the stickers are crazy expensive, yes they are stickers. I'd take the other off, then if you wanted go to a local advertising shop and have them get close. The factory stickers have some kind of sparkle or glitter, regardless if your buying it for the capability then it shouldn't matter. Use it against the dealer tell them your on the fence blah blah blah...ultimately it's a sweet truck. I have a red one....I wanted silver. I got red because it was the last of the 2017 and the dealer took the price from 63k sticker to 46k brand new, 117 miles. Good luck and function check the winch and ensure it has the remote. The cut off that giant resonator lol

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of wisdom below.

I wouldn't fuss, the stickers are crazy expensive, yes they are stickers. I'd take the other off, then if you wanted go to a local advertising shop and have them get close. The factory stickers have some kind of sparkle or glitter, regardless if your buying it for the capability then it shouldn't matter. Use it against the dealer tell them your on the fence blah blah blah...ultimately it's a sweet truck. I have a red one....I wanted silver. I got red because it was the last of the 2017 and the dealer took the price from 63k sticker to 46k brand new, 117 miles. Good luck and function check the winch and ensure it has the remote. The cut off that giant resonator lol

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thank you, this was the answer I was looking for. So it is a sticker and the other one can be removed. I actually like the decals, but was/am more concerned that it was removed due to previous damage.

Sounds like you got a good deal! I’m hoping to be a PW in the near future! BTW the salesman that I have spoken to said they would replace the decal, but I’ve been to several Ram dealerships and most of the time I’m educating them on the PW. So with that said I take what they say with a grain of salt!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you been underneath to look for off road abuse ? You could use a magnet and look for body filler.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
No worries I'd just have them work on price a good decal shop could hook you up for under $200 I'd guess. If they want to replace it great, you lose sparkle....not a big deal. I had a kid key my tailgate, and I just took them off the stickers were something like 500 from the dealer. I said forget it. The painter put a black one on and put some clear and buffed the tailgate cost me 200 bucks....I'm happy with the deal I got but I'm more happy with the performance. I haven't gone to the extreme as most of these guys but a few things I'd fix are the exhaust, 35inch tires and I just ordered the purple cranium diff protection. I have had fun in my pwagon...oh Avs bug guard

20180623_152731_1529801256807.jpg

20180715_105553.jpg

20180715_103252_002.jpg

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pictures are when it was still, new....its got some pin stripes and bigger tires now

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you been underneath to look for off road abuse ? You could use a magnet and look for body filler.

No, not yet. It’s 3 1/2 hours away so I have a mechanic (Lemon Squad) going there tomorrow to inspect the truck on my behalf and I specifically told them to inspect that area. Magnet is a good suggestion though!

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pictures are when it was still, new....its got some pin stripes and bigger tires now

Ultimately, the decals are not a deal breaker since I will be buying it for off-road performance/capabilities.

Looks good stock, so I imagine it looks awesome with the mods!

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks really good. I would just have the dealer replace the one, if you like them. You’ll love the truck. I know I do. I seriously doubt if the truck was damaged, they wouldn’t have just not replaced the sticker. Sounds legit to me. Any good mechanic can look for signs of paint work. Hell, you can smell it in the cab or around it for months after. Look for paint lines, buffing splatter and paint shades. Check around the tail light, cab corner and especially inside the wheel well. If there was any paint work, it’s pretty easy to see the signs of it.

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks really good. I would just have the dealer replace the one, if you like them. You’ll love the truck. I know I do. I seriously doubt if the truck was damaged, they wouldn’t have just not replaced the sticker. Sounds legit to me. Any good mechanic can look for signs of paint work. Hell, you can smell it in the cab or around it for months after. Look for paint lines, buffing splatter and paint shades. Check around the tail light, cab corner and especially inside the wheel well. If there was any paint work, it’s pretty easy to see the signs of it.

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestions! I’m really hoping that that the PW checks out because it has every option that I want as well as the color I would choose.

I will keep the thread updated and let everyone know the outcome. If the mechanics report comes back clean I will be going there on Wednesday or Thursday.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I think your hunch about there being some level of paint or body damage is spot on. I can’t imagine any corporate logo decal that only gets put on one side of a truck.

Hopefully your third party will find some explanation for it, and you can move forward with negotiations on the truck. As others have mentioned, the other side can be removed, or replacements can be ordered. I will say that vinyl shop replacements, no matter how “good” they look, won’t match the factory original decals. If you go through enough pictures online you’ll see a full range from great reproductions to garbage, so proceed cautiously if you choose to go that route.

I wouldn’t shy away from this truck, just know what you’re getting into (and it sounds like you’re taking those measures). If the damage was extensive enough, your third party will be able to see it. If it was minor, but significant enough to lose the decal, there’s not much to worry about, is there?

Jeffrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm not sure how it works in the USA but in Canada if a vehicle has a accident at the dealership they do not have to report it so you'll never see it on Carfax or others. I know this because the Power Wagon I just purchased was backed into light post at the dealership and the bumper and tailgate was replaced. Mind you by law they have to tell you about the accident and it's written in the final paperwork but nobody but myself and that dealership will ever know my truck was in an accident. I got a hell of a good deal on it so I'm quite happy with the whole situation.

Did I mention I love this truck .

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think your hunch about there being some level of paint or body damage is spot on. I can’t imagine any corporate logo decal that only gets put on one side of a truck.

Hopefully your third party will find some explanation for it, and you can move forward with negotiations on the truck. As others have mentioned, the other side can be removed, or replacements can be ordered. I will say that vinyl shop replacements, no matter how “good” they look, won’t match the factory original decals. If you go through enough pictures online you’ll see a full range from great reproductions to garbage, so proceed cautiously if you choose to go that route.

I wouldn’t shy away from this truck, just know what you’re getting into (and it sounds like you’re taking those measures). If the damage was extensive enough, your third party will be able to see it. If it was minor, but significant enough to lose the decal, there’s not much to worry about, is there?

I think you’re right, it’s just reassuring to get members opinions here on the forum. I hope all checks out with PW, but am not afraid to pass on it if something seems not right. I have already done that once before.

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure how it works in the USA but in Canada if a vehicle has a accident at the dealership they do not have to report it so you'll never see it on Carfax or others. I know this because the Power Wagon I just purchased was backed into light post at the dealership and the bumper and tailgate was replaced. Mind you by law they have to tell you about the accident and it's written in the final paperwork but nobody but myself and that dealership will ever know my truck was in an accident. I got a hell of a good deal on it so I'm quite happy with the whole situation.

Did I mention I love this truck .

I believe it to be the same here, but am not sure if they have to tell you it was in an accident. I will ask the dealership and see what they say after I have my third party inspect the PW.

I’ve done months of research and believe I too will love the PW once I find the right one. The hardest part now is the wait finding it!

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to consider is the dealer most likely wouldn't sell it as a CPO vehicle if it was in a accident with decent amount of damage

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would say if it was in a accident they would had put the decal on to keep soneone from asking. It's a Ram dealership tell them to put on a decal before you get there, if you have as sale price already. I believe the bed has spot welds on it when they build it. Just take a good look under the bed to see if you can find anything also check the cab rear door and frame.

OP
OP
08taco

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing to consider is the dealer most likely wouldn't sell it as a CPO vehicle if it was in a accident with decent amount of damage

That was my same thought, but their story just seemed strange to me.