I was quoted $2k+ ?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I can send you all the info you need to do this job yourself, it's a time and patience job, couple of special tools and go for it. Pm me and we can go from there as the install word doc I made up for doing this work is too big to post. As far as I know Rowdyram and myself do gear installs not to sure if anyone else does here.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Thats a great way to learn how to do this type of work.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep that's me.
I thought I remembered that mod list from my DF days.
payed $150 each axle for my 4.56 install
i couldnt run to the garage fast enough with the cash
do your homework!!
i myself did and found a guy on craigers who was looking for side jobs and wasnt a stranger to gear installs.

oh and dont buy yukon gears, get the knockoffs and save yourself hundreds of bux and you get the same product.

Honestly, I'd be wear of that. These aren't mufflers here afterall.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I don't think he actually meant knockoffs. Maybe usa standard, motive, g2, etc that are like $50 cheaper a set.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I hear Motive and G2 are supposed to be good...no name brands tho....no thanks. lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Guy's I have used lots of no name brand gear sets, most times they work just fine for a DD/light offroad rig. Some can be a ***** to get the pattern right but none have ever failed unless there was abuse involved. I would never pay the price that Yukon wants for a gear set but thats me.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
really dig and do some research
all these gears are the eggzact same parts with diff names on em
price gouge

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Haha and the winner is you great post :)

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Gear quality

My last thought, doubt all gears are created equal. The quality of steel varies I am sure. Think that the top lines of all makes are quite similar "but" wouldn't bet the farm on the lower cost makes. That said, as was stated earlier, many of them have been installed with little or no problems. The pattern and break in are the issue. All that said, if you are installing to get performance so as to smoke the little "Rice Burners" for the track, or daily driver, probably will never be an issue. The only down side, if your going to be towing for long periods, especially in the hotter climates, would question the cheaper gears. They will never get hot on the strip or street but on the hi way pulling 10k or so and for long periods, 2 to 3 hours, that is where I think you will find the difference. Only "you" know what your use(s) will be. Be cautious

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I put cheap e bay gears in a 7 second nitro car because he was in a pinch. Held up the whole next weekend, then took them out, if they can handle that then I think most gears well be OK for DD or mild performance.
That said, things I've picked up from some racers I've met
Yukon gears are softer than most.
Motive gears are brittle
Precision gears are in the middle
This is what multiple guys have told me, but for what its worth..
And I'd venture to guess the metallurgy changes on them all frequently.
I do know a lot of guys use Yukon and them put them in the oven on broil overnight to harden them