I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Bigdaddy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. novelmike

novelmike Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Only Keystone trailers? How come?

The heaviest of the 3 trailers listed is 450lbs away from your payload capacity. Add the weight of your 5th wheel hitch, mounting brackets, and you're gonna be very close to your max capacity!

Bigdaddy likes this.
  2. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I always catch all kinds of hell for this and hesitate to open this door because of the predictable war that ensues..... BUT, with a good set of airbags your truck has the payload of a 3500. With any of those prospective trailers minimally loaded you are perfectly safe rolling down the road (definitely maxing out the 6.4 Hemi's pulling power but that's your problem :)) As far as safety, you won't be overloading your axles or tires or brakes or the truck's frame so proceed as you see fit.

What will undoubtedly follow are stories of neighbor's hairdresser's uncles who know a guy that was pulled over and sent to a Turkish prison camp for being 70# over his truck's GVWR. On page 9 of this thread I'll apologize for opening this Pandora's Box. :favorites13:

3. Markcuda

Markcuda Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
    Engine:
    I don't only like this, I love this))))))))))))))

4. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I've towed lots of heavy stuff behind mine. The problem with the 5er and a Hemi is the profile. I towed my wife's 5300 lb car on a 2700 lb trailer loaded with luggage and stuff for 400 miles back from Wyoming though mountain passes. Super easy tow with the aerodynamics of a car on the trailer. My travel trailer on the same roads and weighing about the same gets 2mpg less and struggles a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy likes this.
  5. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Diesel Cummins
    Awesome thanks guys, this is very interesting I seen some other down the street from where these guys are at that are a little less I believe that the pin weight are 1800 lbs or a little higher but less than 2000 lbs.

6. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Diesel Cummins

Firestone air bag are on the way but giving some thought I might go with something else that is a little less.

7. Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    Love my Firestone Ride-Rite bags. Have had them on my last 2 trucks. Not much of a need for them in my 2500 but they do smooth out the ride a little. In my 1500 Mega Cab more than once I aired them up to haul a pallet of pellets (2k lbs) home from Lowes. Truck rode perfectly level and handled great. The day I purchased my 5'er I ordered a set of bags for this truck whether I needed them or not.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Bigdaddy likes this.
  8. MADDOG

MADDOG Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Oh so damn true. The ratings are conservative and if you are a few hundred pounds over you won't hurt the truck but there are some insurance and liability issues to consider.

Bigdaddy likes this.
  9. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Diesel Cummins

I got them in today, I have one question do you have to take the tires off or can I just maybe let down my spare and go from their? Oh yeah also do you have one or two air fitting to fill them up? Thank you for your reply or whoever answer this.

10. KarL45

KarL45 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4
    Engine:
    hemi 6.4/ 4.56 gears/ AirLift 5000
    Sounds like a tall order for the Hemi. While the Specs boast a 15k towing capacity, thinking you will find the quality of towing at that weight quite poor. Even with the 4.10 gearing. While there is no doubt you can tow 15k, having to run in the 4k and up range for rpms when in higher elevations especially, doesn't equate to "good" towing to me. Guess a little "old school" where I don't like having to run at high rpms to be able to pull normally. Of course, if the power is needed for a short burst, that's different. That's where the 4.56 gearing shines. Just thinking that about 12k would be a very comfortable tow weight. As for the air bags, Installed the Air Lift 5000 before leaving. While not really needing it because of the drop (2"), it does keep the truck at factory height, lessens the pin shock of the 5'er, and also keeps the headlamps in align so as not getting flashed continually. Testament, after 16k towing a 14k 5'er through all of mainland Alaska, no shock or suspension problems period. Very happy. Good Luck with your choice.

jorn and Bigdaddy like this.