ICON kit or Bilstein 5100 setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
All

Need some advice here. Have a 2017 1500 Laramie 4x4 and looking to get it leveled. Don't want the spacers and I know many really like their Bilstein 5100 set up with them set at 2.1 for the level. Truck is my son's and will be going off to college in about 18 months. Most likely at one of the schools int he Rocky Mountains. WIth this he will be doing a fair amount of forest service and BLM roads. THis in part will be done to be able to accommodate a new set of tires in the 33" - 34.5" range No larger.658

While i'm not going to blow $3K on a suspension lift I don't mind spending a bit more to get a little better quality setup. Please let me know what your opinion is of this ICON setup in the link and if it is worth the $1200 price tag and if it is, is it that much better than going with the popular Bilstein 5100 setup? Thanks for the advice.

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/ICON-2009-Current-Dodge-1500-4WD-Coil-Over-Kit-p/211000.htm

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein are decent for small lower difficulty off-roading. They will take a good bit of abuse but high speed bumps they get a bit bouncy. Icon would be better for a medium difficulty off-roading and slightly higher speeds. Or even fox 2.0 as well. I can’t comment on ride quality for fox or icon but a lot of people like them and they should be valved softer than the bilstein 5100. I can’t deny that the 5100 are great from a cheaper price point because they reuse stock springs, lower perch, and top strut mount. I run bilstein and I’m really a big fan for how they ride for street and mild off-roading myself. If you buy 275/65r20 they are a 34” tire. Stock is 275/60r20. Lots of options for 275/65r20

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Icon's are a good C/O, but you'll also want to do something about the rears if you're going to upgrade the fonts. I'd look at the stage 1 minimum to get the most out of something like the Icons. If you want to stay cheaper 6112's are going to be a big upgrade over to the 5100's for spending a lot of time off the pavement without spending big for the coil-overs. You can the combo with 5150's (5100's with resi's, but same valving) or 5100's for the same price just the front Icon's or cheaper. You can also take it a step further and match the 6112's with a better rear shock like an icon 2.0 or the fox 2.0 rears. 5100's aren't the greatest things ever, but they are a nicer shock than the stock crap. I ran em for a while until I decided to just get what I wanted out of my truck.

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...ram-1500-4wd-75-25-stage-1-suspension-system/

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-Struts-Spring-Shocks-09-18/dp/B07PHGN2WS
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-Str.../B07PJL84SC/ref=psdc_3150551011_t1_B07PHGN2WS

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's always advisable to nickel-and-dime yourself into poverty. :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take off your factory shocks and keep them unmolested in the garage. If I was looking for a performance entry level setup I'll do Icon Stage 1 or a full Fox 2.0 kit. With the Icons you'll need a 1 spacer in the back because their shocks are 1.5" longer than stock and you may unseat the factory springs on a flex shot. The rear Fox 2.0 come in factory length for a simple install.

Front Fox are preset to 2" lift. If you want to adjust up/down you'll need to take them off the truck and compress the springs with spring compressors, then adjust the collars. you can also get a small 1/2" spacer and easily add that to the top of the co to get 2.5" lift. Nothing else to do . That install couldn't get any easier. Take off your factory struts and shocks and bolt the Fox 2.0's and re-align.

The icons come preset for 2.5" lift but you can adjust up/down on the fly with a spanner wrench while installed on the truck. You can get them down to 2" if you want before installing, or after they're installed.

The Fox 2.0 kit will have a better price than Icon and again is prob the easiest approach if you don't want to thinker with spacers, springs, UCAs yada yada.

Have fun.

Our vendor Nick could prob hook you up with a nice price on them.
This is an example from a web search

https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/...p9WH-Av_Rak4jM-hZD21-jzDKx6Zg5uoaAtJBEALw_wcB

Nothing to thinker with, if you sell the truck, just take the Fox suspension out of the truck and sell it to recover 50-75%of your cost. Slap the factory stuff back and that's it.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your uses I think you would really enjoy the Icon kit. We have all the options listed and can offer you great pricing on what ever you decide.

message me and we can discuss pricing.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I had the 5100s for 5 years (front and back). I had the front set at the highest lift setting, 2.8". Everything else was stock (UCAs, springs, etc.). For like $400, you get a decent bang for your buck with the 5100s. They firm up the suspension a good bit over stock and provide lift for bigger tires. They rode pretty harsh off pavement though, at least at the lift height that I had them set. I had to baby it and drive slower than I wanted and avoid bumps as much as I could, cause the impact was never enjoyable.

About 6 months ago, I installed the ICON Stage 2 kit (front 2.5 coilovers, rear 2.0 shocks & springs) + ICON delta joint UCAs. It has greatly improved my driving experience on and off road over the 5100s. I drive faster and with more confidence off pavement, and little things on road like going over train tracks is soo much better now - there are some tracks that I drive over frequently and I usually hit them around 35mph now without any concern, but with the 5100s if I hit them at anything above 20mph then I had to really brace myself.

So, I think it really just comes down to how much you're willing to spend. They're both good options at their respective price points. When you say "fair amount of forest service and BLM roads", I'd recommend spending more for the ICON setup then.

As others have mentioned, there are other options in the sub $1,500 category to consider as well - Fox 2.0, Bilstein 6112/5160, Eibach Pro Truck kit, Falcon shocks, etc.

Lastly, no matter what you decide to buy - check around for pricing online to find the best deal you can, but do not click buy until you talk to Nick@GotExhaust on here. I've yet to find a deal that he can't beat or match.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. It looks like most favor the Icon kit and I think you are right about doing the rear too. I'll be doing new wheels and tires later this summer so will definitely get with Nick for purchase when the time comes. Thanks again, it was helpful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca