idle issue help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
ive had a weird idle going on with my truck(atleast thats what it seems like to me) its a 2003 4.7l auto,im the kinda guy who wants everything tip top so every little thing i notice..anyways, when im at a light the truck will be at about 800rpms then drop down real slow to about 500 sometimes even 400 feeling like it wants to die, but has never died, if its down that low i can turn the wheel and itl jump back to normal, also when i first start it either in the morning or after work, if i tap the gas the rpms will jump like it has a cam, also sometimes after work ill be waiting to turn onto the street and itl start to surge, again like it has a cam, except it feels like it wants to go if i were to let off the brakes..any
ideas?!

Thanks in advance to anybody who helps

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be a few different things, but the most likely explanation would be an issue with your TPS (throttle positioning sensor). There are videos on youtube that can aid in testing the sensor for proper functioning. You may also want to check your spark plugs to see if they need replaced.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a similar issue with my 05 4.7, but the idle just drops when the truck is stopped and feels like it might die. I don't have the flucuating issue tho.

(popped over to engine section)

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Sounds more like a vac leak. Have you had the throttle body off at all recently? Upgrade a CAI?

OP
OP
M

mopar4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Sounds more like a vac leak. Have you had the throttle body off at all recently? Upgrade a CAI?

no i havent had the TB offrecently, and as far as CAI it has the AEM brute force, along with a TB spacer, superchip, and flowmaster exhaust, performance wise thats it.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be a few different things, but the most likely explanation would be an issue with your TPS (throttle positioning sensor). There are videos on youtube that can aid in testing the sensor for proper functioning. You may also want to check your spark plugs to see if they need replaced.

heres that video if it helps...
[yt]9gJUR62u4Tg&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

RetCIPicker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 4.7 engine, 130,000 miles. I am having a similar problem with stalling. Unfortunately, mine has died a couple of times. It is as if I turned the key off while driving. No warning run perfect up until then. Always starts up and runs right away. Engine check light DOES NOT come on. As a matter of fact NO panel lights come on when it dies. If I hold break and keep foot on gas to keep the RPMs up it will continue to run. It only dies or stalls when I am not pushing on the gas pedal, as if it is not getting gas. New battery, no problem with altenater. Any others out there with similar problems that have found a fix?

OP
OP
M

mopar4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
im thinking maybe its the TPS..i replaced mine a while ago to see if it helped, it seemed as if it did for a week or 2 then starte to do it again..it was a $30 replacement from autozone..im thinking im gunna gave to fork out the money for a mopar one from my local dealership..ive had the truck since 59000 miles in november of 2010, now it has 81300..so it may possible need a tune up which would probably help...and as stated above, i also just tap the gas to get the rpms back up while driving..like i said its never died, but i do it just to be safe.