If you were going to build a tq heavy 318...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I was wanting to rebuild the 318 in my 96, and Ive thought about everything from a full stroked build to just a fresh bottom end with all the top end goodies to getting everything coated. What would you guys do if you were looking for maximum efficiency and you still want to keep some torque in the average driving range. (idle to 2500)

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would avoid items like big cams and air gap intakes and mods that produce thier biggest power above or about 2500 rpm.

I would start with differential gears, and a tuner from sean (hemifever). Then a few simple bolt ons like headers and a 50 mm throttle body. Port match the heads and remove the center runner from your intake manifold if you have one.
Replace the heavy fan clutch with an electric fan setup and if you don't have lots of lights or a big stereo, get an underdrive pulley set.

All the mods I mentioned give torque increases off idle up to legal highway speeds. They can be done on a small budget.

Oh...I forgot...if your budget is limitless and you have a fresh tight engine, you could install a supercharger or just a nitrous setup. Either mod provides lots of tire frying drivetrain distroying instant off idle power.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I like where Al is going with that . I have always thought about stroking my 318 one day

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I like where Al is going with that . I have always thought about stroking my 318 one day

These mods work for 5.9s as well...trouble is they're not very impressive looking or to post about

What are your opinions on coating engine parts??

On a motor like this...no. Save that for the big bucks racers.

Oh and I've also heard the Hughes intake improves mileage as well...

If Hughes still offers a filled and ported stock intake, yes. I would also consider building a "turtle" for the factory intake to take up some of the volume and increase vacum signal across the injectors.

OP
OP
M

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
What is a "turtle"? What would be better a cam or 1.7 rockers? I was also wanting to rebuild the entire thing. What would okie do?(wwod) to increase efficiency and torque? Lol

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
What is a "turtle"? What would be better a cam or 1.7 rockers? I was also wanting to rebuild the entire thing. What would okie do?(wwod) to increase efficiency and torque? Lol

A turtle is a piece of aluminum sheet or pieces welded or bent into a dome that runs length wise under the plenum. It is atatched to the lower plate.

Its purpose is to fill up the plenum volume a set amount to increase air velocity in the plenum. It increases the vacumn across the injectors and thusly lower end power.

There's probably a small amount of top end loss but that is well above the rpm a stock motor makes.

I was able to come up with a pic of a ported and filled Hughes intake...

5764-beerbarrel2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If you were going to do a full rebuild what all would you do? Eventually I will gear, lift, and put 35's under it but this is all in the future.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have heard the heads are prone to cracking on the magnum's but will still run fine. its a debatable topic, but something to think about.

OP
OP
M

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Yes I've heard that from many machine shops, one guy said every head he'd seen come off one was cracked, and another guy said only most were lol.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
lol, I also thing if your wanting
torque you should look into tranny mods.

build tranny, torquey engine, low gears=line queen

Tapatalk Addict

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If you were going to do a full rebuild what all would you do? Eventually I will gear, lift, and put 35's under it but this is all in the future.

I'd build a stroker...318s are not torque monsters to begin with. Longer stroke increases torque, plus theres no substitute for cubic inches.

The second problem arrises that building an engine without the proper driveline mods leads to power disatisfaction. Consider gears before all else.

OP
OP
M

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
:) there's no replacement for displacement. How well do the e-fan and under drive pulleys do in very inclement weather??

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
E-fans aren't effected at all by cold weather. With the correct set up they turn on and off as needed, and not as often in colder weather. Your heavy *** clutch fan is pretty much "on" all the time.
I believe underdrive pulleys are for race engines that don't have a lot of electrical draw from other accessories. So if a big stereo or lots of off road lights are in your build I'd say no. I'm not sure a weather question applies but if you're either running the A/C or Heater (wherein the A/C compressor stil cycles) all the time I'd still say no.

OP
OP
M

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I was talking about snow I've found myself in extremely deep snow that was so deep it started packing through my grill and almost threw my belt off. Would it be affected by that or lots of water and mud?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I was talking about snow I've found myself in extremely deep snow that was so deep it started packing through my grill and almost threw my belt off. Would it be affected by that or lots of water and mud?

Well yes...fans are not bullet proof...you can pretty much clog anything up with mud. or snow pak.
At least with the fans there's no belt to throw. When they can't turn you get an overload, pop a fuse and you're done...until the fuse is replaced. :birgits_tiredcoffee