Ignition key problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I bought a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 about a month ago and lately I've noticed that when I try to start it (especially in the morning) the starter will just click once and stop trying to start it. It's almost the same as if the battery was dead but it's not. If I wiggle the key around or take they key out and put it back in a few times it eventually works and starts right up, but I've also noticed it has been getting worse lately. I don't know much about ignitions but I'm guessing it might be that security feature so you can't hot wire it. It does NOT have remote start or keyless entry. The key I have is just a regular black key. If you know what I need to do to fix this please help me out!

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Chip Keys don't look much different from any other regular keys. With the '02 you have the sentry and this is definitely a chip key, unless some smart genius deactivated or bypassed the system in before selling the truck to you.

This most likely sounds like you have a Lock Barrel issue. One of your option is to find a Salvage Yard barrel or you can order a new one from your prefered Auto part. The advantage with a new barrel is they usually come with all you need to make your current key work in it and not have to carry 2 separate keys to open the doors and start the vehicle.

I would start with this and see where it takes you.