I'm a 2nd Gen guy. Here's a 2016 Ram 5500 for you.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Interesting. Why vertical cuts and welds? Seems like most guys use either a 45* or zee cut when splicing frame rails.
Yes. The old way of thinking was it was stronger. But tests and studies have shown that Z or 45 adds so much extra heat to the tempered frame it actually is detrimental.
So today's way is straight and fish plate. Reduced heat introduced to the frame. Still, some old school guys will argue.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
As promised. Some more pics.

Attachments

• P1080240.jpg
    P1080240.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 118
  • P1080241.jpg
    P1080241.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 110
  • P1080239.jpg
    P1080239.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 197
  • P1080238.jpg
    P1080238.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 147

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought all Rams had fully boxed frame rails? Or is it just the 1500's??

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
In the big truck business a little flex is the norm.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Boxing this frame serves no purpose. Sure, it does make it stronger but it is not needed in this application. Even Kenworths, Peterbilts, etc do not get boxed frames when the same job gets done to them and that is done on a daily basis throughout the USA and Canada everywhere.
We are doing a frame repair on a gravel truck right now as the shop that did the original job made a mistake and after several years the frame cracked. You do not drill holes within an inch of the lower or upper web.
Easy fix. Grind it out, weld it up, fill the hole, plate it and support it and put the truck back on the road good as new and never break again.
Basically, do it right the first time.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
So you box the frame...

Well sure. Since you are a journeyman welder that owns his own heavy truck shop and have been doing this type of thing for many years. Go ahead a box your frames. When you seize the frame from flexing and your trucks break in half, send them to me and I'll fix your boo boo. :flipthebird:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Well sure. Since you are a journeyman welder that owns his own heavy truck shop and have been doing this type of thing for many years. Go ahead a box your frames. When you seize the frame from flexing and your trucks break in half, send them to me and I'll fix your boo boo. :flipthebird:

Don;t you love it, when someone tells you, you are doing it wrong, when you have been doing it, longer than they have been alive?

Yes, new ideas and better ways to do things do pop up, constantly, but anyone, who does anything, professionally, will hear about long before some forum member points it out.

BTW, how weak are the frames, nowadays. Back in teh late 90's, used to have a limit to how far one could stretch Dodges, and they were known for buckling. Imagine FOrd even has issues with buckling, vs older frames.

just curious.
Have not kept up on this for last couple of decades.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Don;t you love it, when someone tells you, you are doing it wrong, when you have been doing it, longer than they have been alive?

Yes, new ideas and better ways to do things do pop up, constantly, but anyone, who does anything, professionally, will hear about long before some forum member points it out.

BTW, how weak are the frames, nowadays. Back in teh late 90's, used to have a limit to how far one could stretch Dodges, and they were known for buckling. Imagine FOrd even has issues with buckling, vs older frames.

just curious.
Have not kept up on this for last couple of decades.
So much has changed over the years. Even steel.
The Manganese, Carbon, Molybdenum, Iron, Nickle, etc content has changed to give us stronger more flexible steel or rigid steel for each different application.
Like a frame. If you build a large structure or vehicle and make the frame rigid and stiff then it has no option but to snap and crack when forced to flex.
But if allowed to remain flexible and springy (technical word) then it will take the flexing and such without destroying itself.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
And yes, many pickup frames are boxed. My Dakota, My Ram 1500, my 68 Jeepsters. But they are not boxed front to back. They are boxed only below the cabs. Manufactures do not want flex under the cab where it could twist the body. But fore and aft is left to flex. Some vehicles are boxed to the front bumper. Keeping the suspension doing the flexing while the frame and "work" area behind the cab is left to twist and flex.
Some specific vehicle are rigid and boxed fully letting the suspension do all the work while keeping a solid platform for a certain reason.
Like a rock buggy. The suspension does all the work.
A 53' flatbed trailer, designed to flex and twist.
Now if you want to take a 30' truck like this Ram and make it not flex, Just imagine the consequences. You want to make it solid in the middle? Boxed?
Ouch. Not on my truck.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
So you box the frame...

Are you confusing a double frame with boxing? High GVW, and high abuse applications may run a double(sometimes triple)frame, but they are "nested" C-Channel rails. Heavy truck stuff does NOT get boxed rails. Period.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Are you confusing a double frame with boxing? High GVW, and high abuse applications may run a double(sometimes triple)frame, but they are "nested" C-Channel rails. Heavy truck stuff does NOT get boxed rails. Period.
Maybe... I know my truck is boxed/double, whatever you wanna call it - same damn thing unless you get technical. I know for a fact that when I get at angles or hit good sized bumps that I get 0 body roll.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Maybe... I know my truck is boxed/double, whatever you wanna call it - same damn thing unless you get technical. I know for a fact that when I get at angles or hit good sized bumps that I get 0 body roll.

I am not here to argue, but it is not the same thing, and, as has been pinted out, zero flex is NOT the goal in a long, structural member. The flex is designed in. I am sorry that you can't see that.

Apologies to the OP for taking up his thread.