I'm sorry to have to do this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok. Don't hate me lol.
I've been in the market for a nice quality light bar for a couple months now. I just can't find one that I'd be happy with!
I thought I was set with the auxbeam 30" with adjustable base mounts because it would fit perfectly on my westin light bar. My issue isn't just that the mounts look weak.. It's the damn wire coming out of it. It's maybe a foot long if I'm lucky and doesn't come with a harness either (I don't want to have a connection on the outside of the truck, I like a clean finish). So there are two things I'd like to know more about.
a) I know there's something that exist that you mount in the engine bay. It connects to your battery, has like 4-6 terminals with built in fuses and relays. Then connects to a switchboard in the cabin with the corresponding connections. What is this called? Where can I get one?
b) I've had zero luck finding a quality light bar with base mounts to fit the holes on my westin bar. I prefer a 30" but a 40" would work too. My budget is no more than $500. I do not want to entertain an ebay china light with no warranty.
Whatcha think?

IMO

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are looking for a fuse block.

With regards to the light bars, anything outside of Rigid is made in China. Yes, they don't have any real warranty but they are well constructed. If you have issues years from now just get a replacement. It'll still be cheaper than a Rigid.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You are looking for a fuse block.

With regards to the light bars, anything outside of Rigid is made in China. Yes, they don't have any real warranty but they are well constructed. If you have issues years from now just get a replacement. It'll still be cheaper than a Rigid.

I just looked up "fuse block" and thats a good start. But it's my understanding that there is something like that, that also has built in relays? And then what about the switch panel? Maybe I'm confusing you and myself.. Fuse block with built in relays also including a wire that runs to the cabin with corresponding switches for each terminal. Kinda a one piece device all sold together.

Rigid is definitely out of the question lol. But I did scope around KC light bars, RCX, etc.. (I don't really care if it's made in China) Warranty is just important to me because if I go through 5 cheap ones vs one good one... The cheap ass company wins because they're not liable for their quality, and I just spoon fed them money. If that makes sense?

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I should also add... I have plenty of experience in wiring in aux lights, sound systems, etc... But what I don't have experience in is this new led stuff that requires relays vs the watts. Im confident I can figure out the wiring, but Im not confident in what I need to buy. Theres a harness I can buy from opt7 that seems legit, with waterproof connection for the light. But if I can get just the connector separate and wire that into a fuse block with relays.. I think it would look much cleaner, especially after adding lights in the rear as well.

Can this connector be ordered separate? cf0cf18378378e59c0e998ca77117aab.jpg

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hard to beat that 23year warranty lol. I'm over the base mounts now. I've found universal mounts for push bars that I can use instead of the holes supplied in the westin bar. I'm slowly learning.
Something like this5975e3e845b15b9af5a7005587813375.jpg

IMO

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't be so quick to discount Rigid. I bought them, yes, expensive, but haven't had a thought about them the entire time I've had them other than "damn... I can see now" I know me, and I'd always wish I'd have ponied up for the better lights had I not. And I don't ever have to worry about them again, ever... lol

As for the other issues. There aren't to my knowledge any "all-in-one" lighting boxes. I made mine from Blue Seas fuse block mounted in a watertight box and weatherproof Hella relays:

There are ANY manner of watertight connections for the rest of the wiring.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you are thinking about an spod. They make a couple setups for Jeeps but I think they have a universal one that will fit a Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sbarron, that is a pretty nice setup. I just got a factory aux switch panel and have lights on order but wasn't sure what I was going to do for an aux fuse box.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think you are thinking about an spod. They make a couple setups for Jeeps but I think they have a universal one that will fit a Ram.

I believe you are right sir! That looks like what I'm picturing, minus the price of it lol.

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I will do something like sbarron's setup.
Is it necessary to use that box? Or is that just to dress it up?

Any recommendations for a connector like the one I pictured? I'm wearing google out right now and coming up short.

IMO

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I think I should also add... I have plenty of experience in wiring in aux lights, sound systems, etc... But what I don't have experience in is this new led stuff that requires relays vs the watts. Im confident I can figure out the wiring, but Im not confident in what I need to buy. Theres a harness I can buy from opt7 that seems legit, with waterproof connection for the light. But if I can get just the connector separate and wire that into a fuse block with relays.. I think it would look much cleaner, especially after adding lights in the rear as well.

Can this connector be ordered separate? cf0cf18378378e59c0e998ca77117aab.jpg

IMO

Yes it can, I used them with my roof bar. Where do you wanna mount the bar?

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On that bar in the front.
54cd2c9c901ba85d25911903f3bc0ac8.jpg

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I ordered a light last night off of auxbeam.com.. 30" cree with bottom mounts, pretty good price. One member said he was worried about giving his credit card info to china.. I was too.. But they have paypal checkout!

Anyways, now Im just down to the wiring. Trying to think of the best, reasonably priced, way to do this... Will be ordering one for the back today (2 4" squares or 1 bar up to 12", not sure yet) so I will have to think of them being wired in as well.

IMO

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the opt7 harness, you can get them with multiple plugs. Works well so far for me.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I ordered a light last night off of auxbeam.com.. 30" cree with bottom mounts, pretty good price. One member said he was worried about giving his credit card info to china.. I was too.. But they have paypal checkout!

Anyways, now Im just down to the wiring. Trying to think of the best, reasonably priced, way to do this... Will be ordering one for the back today (2 4" squares or 1 bar up to 12", not sure yet) so I will have to think of them being wired in as well.

IMO

I thought you didn't want a China bar? lol

As for the wiring, just get a harness off ebay, now if you plan on running multiply bars then sbarron setup is nice.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont mind a China bar lol. But I do mind the bars that just show up in a white box and no branding. Auxbeams are highly rated...and though it's not much, it does have a 1 year warranty.

IMO

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

IMO

That was me!... talking about my CC info. Here's the WP connectors...
Robot Check