Infamous Plenum Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I am about to start ordering parts to replace my plenum gasket and planning on replacing my timing set at the same time, I am sitting at 153xxx miles on the original. Can you guys tell me if I am missing anything? I am going to take Merc225hp’s advice and keep the original steel plenum plate to save some money.

Cloyes Timing Set #91103
Mopar Performance Tensioner #P5007709
Mopar Performance Intake Bolts #P4876772
Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Set w/ seal #TCS45999
Fel-Pro Intake Manifold Gasket Set #MS953921
Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket #OS34409R (Just in case)
I already have a Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gasket Set and am going to replace them while I’m there. Have a small leak on the driver’s side.

Am I missing anything? I am going to grab a couple gallons of Antifreeze prior to start, as well. I recently replaced the water pump, so no need to replace it while I’m in the area.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the cap and rotor when you have the intake off if you have not done that recently. No easier time to do them.

BradTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a good idea to replace the parts you've listed, but I am curious if you did the vacuum check to see if your plenum gasket is leaking.

Also, give the camshaft a good look over when you get in there. One engine I recently took apart had a badly galled cam.

OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, cap and rotor were both replaced about 3k ago.

I haven't done or had a vacuum check done. I just figured I'd replace the gasket as preventive maintenance, if nothing else.

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Might as well throw a new water pump on there.

I wasn't thinking when I did my plenum repair. I'm looking at doing the timing chain and water pump in the next few weeks.

OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks guys I really appreciate the info and yeah the water pump was replaced approximately 6k ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk