Infinity system with OEM CD/Cassette/Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0BW4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I just purchased my first 2nd gen Ram - a 1997 2500 with a 5.8 Magnum, ext. cab with the Laramie SLT trim.

I'm starting to poke around more, and the more I do the stranger things I find. (Missing sound insulation for manual shifter, driver side reverse light now working despite having a good bulb, trip computer not working, radio issues listed below).

For starters, it appears to have the Infinity sound system, but has a standard OEM CD/Cassette/Radio. The FM works occasionally, if I'm on a hill with a clean line of site to the FM tower, otherwise nothing but static.

So, onto my question - should this setup even work? My understanding is that the factory Infinity system has a different wiring harness than a stock with a CD player. Does it have a different antenna connection? Could this be my problem with FM?

I have no problems ripping a dash apart, but I would like to get some working theories on what to look for before going into it blind.

I'll have to dig out a CD player and/or a cassette to test the other functions, but since I do have audio when I can see the tower - I have to assume the speakers are hooked up correctly.

Thanks in advance!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like your antennae might be unplugged. Does the AM work?

OP
OP

0BW4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sounds like your antennae might be unplugged. Does the AM work?

I'm not sure. I've scanned, but no channels - just static. I haven't tried while I have a working FM signal. Next time I'm out in the area I picked up an FM station, I'll try the AM channels too.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
antenna is the same could be loose connection on the back of the deck or under the glove box area... i believe those are the only 2 areas that it can come undone simple slip joint. unless someone added an aftermarket fm booster that goes inline and then there would be another connection. I was told that the infinity has the same radio's as the high line version of am/fm/cassette/cd with 3 band eq wouldn't quote me on that one though lol supposedly same wiring harness as well unless steering wheel controls are there just amp on the speakers and the tweeters.. hope someone else can confirm this however i'd like to add it to mine i think hahaha

OP
OP

0BW4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
antenna is the same could be loose connection on the back of the deck or under the glove box area... i believe those are the only 2 areas that it can come undone simple slip joint. unless someone added an aftermarket fm booster that goes inline and then there would be another connection. I was told that the infinity has the same radio's as the high line version of am/fm/cassette/cd with 3 band eq wouldn't quote me on that one though lol supposedly same wiring harness as well unless steering wheel controls are there just amp on the speakers and the tweeters.. hope someone else can confirm this however i'd like to add it to mine i think hahaha

OK - hopefully you're correct! I'll find out this weekend, I plan on tracing down the antenna then.

I'll take pictures, hopefully that will confirm if there were any other mods done to swap-in the CD player head unit.

OP
OP

0BW4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Finally took a look behind the dash, and the antenna was unplugged from the radio. Once I hooked it up, reception was much better (I could actually tune to some stations) but still was poor when compared to my jetta. I know the jetta has a "shark fin" style antenna, and is likely amplified. Any suggestions for improving the reception on the Ram?

I've also ordered an aftermarket radio - perhaps it will have better service. If not, at least it will add bluetooth fucntionality :)

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
it seemed as though my aftermarket stereo had better reception as well. as far as boosting signal you can add an inline amplifier to it.. ill find a link for one.. keep in mind i've not personally used one but have heard good things about them

edit for link:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ANT-B34.html

Last edited:
OP
OP

0BW4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Thanks. I installed a pioneer deh-x6500bt, and the difference was night and day. This unit gets the same reception as my jetta. I guess there was just something funny about the factory unit.