INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll message the seller about the VIN. Is the firmware the between the CA and NA radios the same for the year ? Any problems with the CA radios and the USB port in the console? I'll switch to the SD card media hub if I have to.
They are different. Do not try to use NA firmware on a CA radio.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Atincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you sir. I was hoping that would be a clue to the problem, but I did learn something today.

That stuff is saved in non-volatile memory. You can have the radio disconnected forever and it will retain most of the stuff. The only thing I've noticed it reverts is the EQ. The clock sets itself automatically so that's why it was correct.

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are different. Do not try to use NA firmware on a CA radio.

I got the vin from the donor , and checked the uconnect website . It gives me an update available , 'Siri update for uconnect 8.4an_ra4_16.13.13_my13_&_my14'

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got the vin from the donor , and checked the uconnect website . It gives me an update available , 'Siri update for uconnect 8.4an_ra4_16.13.13_my13_&_my14'
Use that. If you are sure that's the donor VIN, you are good to go.

SkullTruck73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did the upgrade during the summer. Upgraded to 8.4N, Harness and HVAC controls. Worked flawless all summer and fall. Then an issue arrived. First time temp was below freezing and nothing. No radio, no backup camera totally blank. The fan control speed worked fine but couldn't change anything else without the screen. I figured it was a fuse or loose connection but everything checked out. Was busy at work so waited a few days and was going to check again. In the mean time the weather improved and radio just came on. Everything worked great. Fast forward, temperatures are below freezing and again nothing.

I'm frustrated and just ready to disconnect and go back to the 5.1.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause the problem or what I should check?

2mzirkw.jpg

Ive been having the exact same problem signed up just to chime in on this. I have been searching online for a week trying to find a solution but have not found anything helpful. I thought it was because my radio came from a flood vehicle or maybe a compatibility issue installing a 2016 radio in a 2014 truck.

Definitely a cold weather issue for me if the temperature drops below freezing radio will not turn on and only disconnecting the negative terminal will reset it. I have tried pulling the inline fuse but that has no effect but I did notice there is power running through it even with the engine off so there doesn't seem to be any power interruptions at least in the engine bay.
I am in the middle of my 8.4 conversion and don't want to hook up the HVAC controls until I figure this out so I will continue to troubleshoot and report back if I find anything useful to add to the solution.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't think there is a compatibility issue between years because it definitely seems to be temperature related.

My radio is also a 2016. What year is your radio from, Atincup?

SkullTruck73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From the picture it looks like he also has a 2016 since it has the uconnect icon in the middle.

Maybe this is just an issue with the newer radios but someone mentioned earlier to check the battery so I checked mine on Sunday and got a reading of 12.34 pretty low for sitting only two days. When I started it this morning radio took about 30 seconds to come on.
So I'm thinking these radios might need a certain amount of voltage to wake up.
when I tested my battery it was about 55 degrees out so on a day below freezing I would imagine the voltage would drop even lower maybe around 12.0 volts or lower.
I don't really want to drop the dough on a new battery but it looks like this may be the fix.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I spent a lot of time chasing the battery angle and it didn't pan out. I wouldn't waste money on a new battery.

SkullTruck73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My model # is 68258671AH.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought it last weekend, it got shipped yesterday. I'll post my results once I get it installed.
If you have the serial number, you can go to your dealer now to get the unlock code. You will give them that serial and YOUR VIN (not the donor VIN) for the unlock code. If you don't have it, be sure to take a picture of the tags on the back prior to installation.

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll do that. Hopefully they will do that for me

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
If you have the serial number, you can go to your dealer now to get the unlock code. You will give them that serial and YOUR VIN (not the donor VIN) for the unlock code. If you don't have it, be sure to take a picture of the tags on the back prior to installation.

I just got an unlock code over the phone from my dealer's parts dept using just the donor vin. She gave it to me right over the phone (no charge). Apparently they can get it using donor vin or serial number. How would you giving them your vin enable them to find the unlock code? The only thing that serves is to identify you, and the dealers can't or won't add that radio to your build sheet.

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just got an unlock code over the phone from my dealer's parts dept using just the donor vin. She gave it to me right over the phone (no charge). Apparently they can get it using donor vin or serial number. How would you giving them your vin enable them to find the unlock code? The only thing that serves is to identify you, and the dealers can't or won't add that radio to your build sheet.

When I went to the dealer to get my code he typed in both the serial number and my VIN. He wasn't interested at all in the donor VIN. Not sure why he needed my VIN if he could have just used the serial number, but I watched him type them both in and then he wrote down the code for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Remember this is an anti-theft code. They register the new VIN. You can use any VIN but they specifically ask for your VIN.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When I went to the dealer to get my code he typed in both the serial number and my VIN. He wasn't interested at all in the donor VIN. Not sure why he needed my VIN if he could have just used the serial number, but I watched him type them both in and then he wrote down the code for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine would not give it to me until he verified I was the owner of my truck. Good on him I guess, but it was a small hassle to have to go there in person.

They told me that's not something they will do over the phone which is probably the best practice.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Every time I ever get a code all they want is the radio serial. Nobody has ever asked me for a VIN.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So the takeaway is have both, try to call and be prepared to go in if necessary. These are the variations in dealer service.

Hopefully you won't get a clueless dealer like some. They end up paying a third party for the code.

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my Canadian Cherokee RA4 and put it in this morning , with the stock HVAC bezel for now. Originally an RA1 truck. Have already installed the steering wheel switches.Parts to do the rest of the swap are on the way . Radio part number is 68211965AF , on firmware 14.25.5 . Everything seems to work correctly, with the exception of the turn by turn nav directions not showing up in the EVIC. No option in the radio to turn it on . Should I try upgrading the firmware , or doing a factory reset on the radio ? ( I guess I need to have the matching 8.4 bezel installed to do that ?)