INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
VIN has nothing to do with the radio unlock code. its based solely off the serial number of the radio. They just require the VIN incase the radio ever came / comes up as stolen down the road.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got my Canadian Cherokee RA4 and put it in this morning , with the stock HVAC bezel for now. Originally an RA1 truck. Have already installed the steering wheel switches.Parts to do the rest of the swap are on the way . Radio part number is 68211965AF , on firmware 14.25.5 . Everything seems to work correctly, with the exception of the turn by turn nav directions not showing up in the EVIC. No option in the radio to turn it on . Should I try upgrading the firmware , or doing a factory reset on the radio ? ( I guess I need to have the matching 8.4 bezel installed to do that ?)
Can't recall but there may be an option in the radio to activate turn by turn on the dash and it may depend on the radio fw version.
The turn by turn may require a reset of the radio (via the new bezel) and/or all the modules in the truck (disconnect battery , touch terminals together for a few seconds and let it sit for 30 mins.

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This ^^^^^^^ I would try .

I had an RA4 CA from a Ram on the same firmware , I do not believe my turn by turn came up in my 3" no frills RA1 cluster Untill I purchased an RA4 8.4AN from a Ram . Both of my 2014 & 15 RA4 8.4NA 's displays T b T in my no frills cluster now

.12cf19bd9303e44a5cb51ce940fb400e.jpg

I never did update the firmware in my CA radio though .. maybe that would help as well .
Good luck Sir .

Last edited:

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't recall but there may be an option in the radio to activate turn by turn on the dash and it may depend on the radio fw version.
The turn by turn may require a reset of the radio (via the new bezel) and/or all the modules in the truck (disconnect battery , touch terminals together for a few seconds and let it sit for 30 mins.

It took the 16.13.13 update with no problem. Did the battery disconnect, still no turn by turn in the EVIC. I'll try a factory reset when I get the 8.4 bezel in. No big deal though. The radio stations do show up in the EVIC , so it might be a Canadian radio thing. I'm pretty happy overall. Going to do remote start and backup camera next. Only thing bugging me is the Homelink module I installed not reading out in the EVIC. Maybe I need CV2 flashed for that to work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It took the 16.13.13 update with no problem. Did the battery disconnect, still no turn by turn in the EVIC. I'll try a factory reset when I get the 8.4 bezel in. No big deal though. The radio stations do show up in the EVIC , so it might be a Canadian radio thing. I'm pretty happy overall. Going to do remote start and backup camera next. Only thing bugging me is the Homelink module I installed not reading out in the EVIC. Maybe I need CV2 flashed for that to work.
Even if it's not showing the Homelink is programmable assuming it's got power.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if it's not showing the Homelink is programmable assuming it's got power.

It's got power, and it's the right part number for the 2013 and later trucks. The buttons light up with the ignition , too. I can't get it to program with my garage door remote . It is used, maybe it is defective.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's got power, and it's the right part number for the 2013 and later trucks. The buttons light up with the ignition , too. I can't get it to program with my garage door remote . It is used, maybe it is defective.
Are you using any buttons on the garage motor itself to get it to work? I had trouble with my father in law's as I wasn't making it out of the truck, into the garage and up the ladder fast enough.

Of course, your issues might best be solved with patience. The only true way I know of to reset the radio is with the proper bezel. The firmware upgrade doesn't reset anything/everything.

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the new bezel ,harness, and HVAC module in. Did a factory reset on the radio, now the turn by turn directions show up in the EVIC! Everything works perfectly. I still can't get the homelink to do anything at all, besides the buttons lighting up with the ignition. I can't tell if it is learning my genie remotes. I am thinking about getting a brand new module .

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ok I need some advice, had a real crappy day. I have 2 2016 radios, **** both came out of very new vehicles 4000 and 6500 miles. They are both in excellent to new condition. When I put them in my truck "nothing" not a flicker or a peep.

Here are the stats:
My truck is 2014 3500
both radios are 68258671AH vp4 na
Truck works fine with my other 2 radios a 14 and a 15. So not a power issue
Both radios were bought from reputable dealers with screen shots of the running.
Both radios were in the house prior to installing them

The odds of both these radios being bricks is very unlikely? Going to try to return them but not sure about that. I really want to keep one for myself though. Any ideas Nav repair maybe or is there some trick reset button?

Is there some difference in the pinout for 16 vrs 14 that its not powering the radio? Anyone in eastern Ct willing to try them in their truck perhaps?

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The pinouts are the same except for the extra video inputs (video 2 and 3 are switched). There are several folks who got the 2016 RA4'S to work in their 2013-2016 trucks.

@Gigabyte3 just posted about a 2016 RA4 that he got from a reputable member here, we know it worked previously in the other truck, but it refused to work in his truck. He sent it to NavRepair, they said they fixed it/was working, and it still had a black screen in his 2014 truck, so he sold it back to NavRepair and abandoned his 8.4 conversion and sold everything else for $175 ....

No had that, first radio wouldn't produce volume, tried to updated it and bricked it. Then sent it to navrepair. They " fixed" it. Reinstalled it, still wouldnt work.( black screen) send it back. They said it was okay. Re installed it. Still nothing. So i sold it to navrepair's sister company infotainment.com. they said is was good....leaves me to believe that its my tuck. So ill just stick with the 5.0 radio....

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wonder if it's something like the radio not receiving a power on signal from the CANBUS. Do any media options show up in the EVIC denoting which input is selected?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You are right. You will need the CV2 sales code installed in order for the comas to come up in the EVIC.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
So he sold it back to NavRepair and abandoned his 8.4 conversion and sold everything else for $175 ....

:Big Laugh:

Now I'm all concerned after reading this thread. I bought all that stuff, now I need an RA3 radio out of a 2015.... :superhack:

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
:Big Laugh:

Now I'm all concerned after reading this thread. I bought all that stuff, now I need an RA3 radio out of a 2015.... :superhack:
IMO, a 2015 Ra3/RA4 is ideal as far as features and likely hood of success.

2013-2014's haven't had any negative issues overall (other than outdated maps).

2016 RA4'S have the most features (themes, movable icons, latest available 2014Q4 maps) but seem to be about 50/50 on whether they work for a conversion.

SkullTruck73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I need some advice, had a real crappy day. I have 2 2016 radios, **** both came out of very new vehicles 4000 and 6500 miles. They are both in excellent to new condition. When I put them in my truck "nothing" not a flicker or a peep.

Here are the stats:
My truck is 2014 3500
both radios are 68258671AH vp4 na
Truck works fine with my other 2 radios a 14 and a 15. So not a power issue
Both radios were bought from reputable dealers with screen shots of the running.
Both radios were in the house prior to installing them

The odds of both these radios being bricks is very unlikely? Going to try to return them but not sure about that. I really want to keep one for myself though. Any ideas Nav repair maybe or is there some trick reset button?

Is there some difference in the pinout for 16 vrs 14 that its not powering the radio? Anyone in eastern Ct willing to try them in their truck perhaps?

This is the same model number I have been having problems with that I addressed a few pages back in this thread.
Radio will not turn on occasionally when I turn truck on and I have to disconnect the negative battery cable for a Minute to get it back on. Thought it was a cold weather issue or a battery issue but it seems more and more like a compatibility issue with my 14 truck.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if Skull Truck & Cptwing have the same P/N 2016 RA4 radios , also wonder if the S/N S are close ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, same P/N 68258671AH and S/N is T00BE132672728.
Maybe cptwing will post his two s/n s .

We may be able to establish a S/N block to steer away from .

Also was all three of these definitely from a Ram or maybe a Cherokee?

I know I've seen posted 4 or 5 times of a 16 RA4 working well in 13 , 14 & 15 Ram's .

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nothing, like its not even connected.
This is a wild shot in the dark, but I wonder if there is some kind of safety feature preventing the radio from powering on? I've never inspected the in-line radio fuse on my truck but I wonder if it's different in later years and has a smart shut off feature? That or maybe some enhanced anti theft features at play?

Like I said though, wild speculation. Have you searched for any TSBs that may describe this behavior?