Installed Magnaflow, lost torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

620mac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had a Magnaflow muffler installed a while back, and it seems to me I have lost low end torque, but possibly gained power in the top end. Anyone else have this issue? It's a 14". Sounds good, but is still not very loud, especially at idle.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had a Magnaflow muffler installed a while back, and it seems to me I have lost low end torque, but possibly gained power in the top end. Anyone else have this issue? It's a 14". Sounds good, but is still not very loud, especially at idle.

That's what happens when you have less back pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I am not going to do this. I have read this happening so, when I do long tubes I plan to keep my factory muffler.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what happens when you have less back pressure

Reducing back pressure actually increases tq and hp. The exhaust system is running cooler. Back pressure is actually associated with heat build up. The feel of losing torque can sometimes be confused with the straight through feel of the new muffler. A true test would be a dyno or track time.

Either way, you should be getting a more efficient burn and cooler exhaust temps as a result of the new magnaflow. They sound sweet too! :)

OP
OP
620mac

620mac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does sound better, but it's pretty quiet at idle, and really only sounds good when actually driving. Have you guys removed cats or resonators or anything? I do want it to sound a little meaner.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a sound clip of my 2011 with the 14" magnaflow 12198 with resonators removed:

th_20111116174838_1_.jpg

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm with Stricnine on this one. Pretty hard to tell without a befor and after run. Changing the sound of something can change your presecption of what's going on.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can remove the resonators, but it will create more drone inside. If you want the noise, then go for it. The Magnaflow's were designed to dampen the drone, but really wake up under throttle. And, it gets a little deeper with time and more airflow.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just how big of an inlet and outlet did you go with? Did you do anything downstream of the muffler or keep it stock?

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7

I know exactly how you feel. I got a magnaflow 14" and my truck just hasn't felt the same since. Not in my head I swear lol. Feels a tad bit less responsive.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
To add to this discussion, will you really reduce back pressure by modding anything from the cat on back?

I know how the OP feels, when I swapped the single exhaust on my 3.6L for OEM duel Hemi sport exhaust, I have the same "feeling" on the low end.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reducing back pressure actually increases tq and hp. The exhaust system is running cooler. Back pressure is actually associated with heat build up. The feel of losing torque can sometimes be confused with the straight through feel of the new muffler. A true test would be a dyno or track time.

Either way, you should be getting a more efficient burn and cooler exhaust temps as a result of the new magnaflow. They sound sweet too! :)

Your right it does, in the higher rpms. You need some back pressure for low end torque.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Your right it does, in the higher rpms. You need some back pressure for low end torque.

Or you need more gear and converter to get the best of both worlds ;)

The fastest hemi trucks run no exhaust...longtubes with no cats and no muffler. This gives you more power in the mid range and high rpms. You then pair that up with some aggressive gears and a higher stall converter, and you will have power across the entire rpm range.

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or you need more gear and converter to get the best of both worlds ;)

The fastest hemi trucks run no exhaust...longtubes with no cats and no muffler. This gives you more power in the mid range and high rpms. You then pair that up with some aggressive gears and a higher stall converter, and you will have power across the entire rpm range.

Correct!

OP
OP
620mac

620mac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand the point of power at the higher rpm due to better flow. After the tune, it has a lot of power on the highway especially. Pulls really well even over 80. Would a ram air setup benefit more from this exhaust being more free flowing? Seems in theory it would. I'm gonna be rigging up a ram air this week. I was really hoping it would have more sound to it. I like an agressive sound at idle, without it sounding like some redneck's 96 Chevy with glass packs. Wondering if I should have gone with Flowmaster. To add to this, would an x or h pipe do much without headers, supercharger, etc? I would like to get headers, but I feel the install would cost more than the headers themselves.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I understand the point of power at the higher rpm due to better flow. After the tune, it has a lot of power on the highway especially. Pulls really well even over 80. Would a ram air setup benefit more from this exhaust being more free flowing? Seems in theory it would. I'm gonna be rigging up a ram air this week. I was really hoping it would have more sound to it. I like an agressive sound at idle, without it sounding like some redneck's 96 Chevy with glass packs. Wondering if I should have gone with Flowmaster. To add to this, would an x or h pipe do much without headers, supercharger, etc? I would like to get headers, but I feel the install would cost more than the headers themselves.

Ram air intake will make more power, but not off the line. You will feel that in the mid to upper rpms...same as longtubes. If you want tq down low, then you need 4.10/4.56 gears or a higher stall tq converter.

OP
OP
620mac

620mac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram air intake will make more power, but not off the line. You will feel that in the mid to upper rpms...same as longtubes. If you want tq down low, then you need 4.10/4.56 gears or a higher stall tq converter.

How much is a torque converter with installation generally, and what exactly does it do? I also do not want to void the warranty or have it drive/shift like a race car haha.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Take that muffler off and put a flowmaster American thunder 50 on it. I didn't feel any loss of low end with mine. It is a chambered muffler so you will get some back pressure. Many post about the straight through mufflers losing the low end torque.