Installing new injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
mine is a 98 ram 5.9l 24v diesel and I have new 75 horse injectors on the way, was just wondering if there is any rocker clearance to adjust after install, I'm used to gas engines, and when you take off a rocker, there is always some rocker adjustments to be made, I don't want to screw up my engine and burn a valve or break a pushrod/rocker...dodgetruckleftside (1).jpg

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
DO NOT take the rocker arms off. There is no reason to.

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
I took it to a local shop and had them do the swap, I didn't want to mess with the fuel system before and after the swap, so I paid for it, it runs fantastic, with the new injectors and a banks tuner set on 5, it screams when I stomp it, gonna have to not do that cause I can't afford to break things and pay to have them fixed, but it's nice to know the extra performance is there if I need it. Like beating someone off the light LOL

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I'm new to the cummins, and mine is a wrecker tow truck. how much did the inectors run you for the set and for the install?

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
I bought them from dynomite diesel it was the 75horse variety you also have to get the connector tubes so total was 860 or 875 I had a bunch of stuff done along with the injector install so can't really tell you how much just the injector swap would be. I also had them put in new water pump, intake air heater relays, I was gonna have them rebuild my turbo but they had it 3 days and was just starting on the turbo I wanted it back n they said the exhaust portion was rusted on so I told them forget it put it back on n call it good. So your local shop would b different than mine

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
There are much better quality injectors at a lower price point than DDP. The connector tubes absolutely do not need to be replaced when swapping injectors either.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
is this something doable in the driveway? I dont need them yet (I think, no blowby or starting / smoking issues), just want to know what to expect. my mileage is unknown speedsensor issues, but shows 72k prob about 120k-150k true mileage.

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
Then please provide a link to the cheaper injectors n why wouldn't you replaced the connectors mine .Had 260k miles no leaks but I wanted better performance. If your familiar with diesels n priming the fuel lines after disconnecting them then feel free to jump in . I didn't want to mess with it I'm 67 badback n other issues

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
is this something doable in the driveway? I dont need them yet (I think, no blowby or starting / smoking issues), just want to know what to expect. my mileage is unknown speedsensor issues, but shows 72k prob about 120k-150k true mileage.

Yes easily done in a driveway.

Then please provide a link to the cheaper injectors n why wouldn't you replaced the connectors mine .Had 260k miles no leaks but I wanted better performance. If your familiar with diesels n priming the fuel lines after disconnecting them then feel free to jump in . I didn't want to mess with it I'm 67 badback n other issues

200k on my 24v and swapped injectors around multiple times with no leaks etc. 4 sets of injectors with the same set of tubes. Progression through sizes was the only reason I was changing injectors. I am very familiar with these trucks. :driver:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dod...d-injection/1998-5-2002cummins-fuel-injectors

http://www.dfi-performance.com/injectors-and-nozzles-1/

He offers more than what is on the below link.
https://www.infiniteperf.com/24v

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
My previous reply meant if you know how to work on diesels and cracking the fuel lines open then feel free to start working on your truck, I didn't feel comfortable opening those fuel lines as well as my health, I had the bucks to pay someone else to do it just this once. So it worked for me. I really enjoy working on my truck but have to be selective what I can n can't do, I just installed led bumper lights with a strobe feature not legal but as long as I only use them off road I'm good lol

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Hey sgopus ..... I feel your pain (back pain) I'm 66 and although I can still climb in & out & under the truck, I have to pick my spots accordingly.
I bought my Bosch RV275 injectors (great cond. used) for $175 .....Also, got a great deal on new Cummins connector tubes for $90 w/o-rings.
and because I saved a great amount of $$$ on injectors & tubes I should let a mechanic do the change, but I'm encouraged by all here to give it
a try & Hopefully no F**k it up!

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
My previous reply meant if you know how to work on diesels and cracking the fuel lines open then feel free to start working on your truck, I didn't feel comfortable opening those fuel lines as well as my health, I had the bucks to pay someone else to do it just this once. So it worked for me. I really enjoy working on my truck but have to be selective what I can n can't do, I just installed led bumper lights with a strobe feature not legal but as long as I only use them off road I'm good lol

Hey sgopus ..... I feel your pain (back pain) I'm 66 and although I can still climb in & out & under the truck, I have to pick my spots accordingly.
I bought my Bosch RV275 injectors (great cond. used) for $175 .....Also, got a great deal on new Cummins connector tubes for $90 w/o-rings.
and because I saved a great amount of $$$ on injectors & tubes I should let a mechanic do the change, but I'm encouraged by all here to give it
a try & Hopefully no F**k it up!

Just trying to ease the feeling that is a super complicated job. A 10mm socket, 3/4 or 19mm wrench, 8mm wrench or socket, and a flat blade screw driver should be all you need tool wise. I understand the age thing. Take a Saturday afternoon and tinker. :happy160:

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
So how did you deal with air in the fuel lines I have an electric air dog raptor , I'm thinking two people one on the key one watching the cracked fuel lines turn on key till fuel is seen? Don't have to crank engine just turn key previous owner installed that

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
I tighten 2, 5 & 6. Leave 1, 3, & 4 just loose enough to let air out. Give it a snort of ether and done. Snug 1, 3, & 4 after it is running.

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
So not very much diesel comes out? I've heard its under high pressure very high pressure nice to know could save big bucks down the road

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Very little with them cracked as it will not build enough pressure until they are sealed to pop the injector off.