Instrument Cluster Mileage Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am considering swapping out my instrument cluster. Since my experiment over a year ago of swapping out to LEDs I mis-aligned all of my gauge needles and broke a few of the stops.

So where is the mileage stored? In the ECU, or in the gauge cluster?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both. Each will accrue mileage independent of the other. This for your 2005?

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep - my 2005. I re-read the workshop manual and it was not clear - stating that the ECU stores critical information such as odometer and drive codes, but the instrument cluster stores odometer and adapts to the features installed on the vehicle.

So is it possible to install a new instrument cluster and it carry over the correct information? Will a new(er) instrument cluster work?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep - my 2005. I re-read the workshop manual and it was not clear - stating that the ECU stores critical information such as odometer and drive codes, but the instrument cluster stores odometer and adapts to the features installed on the vehicle.

So is it possible to install a new instrument cluster and it carry over the correct information? Will a new(er) instrument cluster work?
The cluster won't update from the PCM and even dealers can't change the mileage on a used cluster, requires very different software & hardware. Only thing dealer level software can do is change the PCM mileage. So no, whatever cluster you find, without sending it out to have the odometer updated it will start counting mileage from whatever its last number is.
Also no, you can't use a newer cluster as they are CAN bus; only an 02-05 cluster would possibly be compatible and here's where it gets wrinkly; 02 p/n's don't match 03 p/n's don't match 04 p/n's, but the 04 and 05 p/n's are the same. You should be able to pull your p/n off the back, do a search and find one easily enough. Not sure how important the p/n specifics are, as I've seen people take SRT-10 Ram clusters from an 04 or 05 and stick them in regular 02-05's.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks @HemiLonestar, that's what I was afraid of. Where could I send the cluster out to "adjust" the mileage on another cluster? I want to know that it's possible before I even buy a used one.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks @HemiLonestar, that's what I was afraid of. Where could I send the cluster out to "adjust" the mileage on another cluster? I want to know that it's possible before I even buy a used one.
I don't know any places personally, but most of the clusters I've seen sold on eBay come from shops that can do it. I imagine it wouldn't take much to find one.