Instrument clusters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Alphin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
s-l640.jpg 2005-Dodge-Ram-1500-Quad-Cab-4x4-Truck-1D7HU18N95J582197-3062.jpeg Can a standard cluster be swapped with a premium cluster and the gauges work ? I have a 08 Ram with a 3.7 V6 Thanks

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So you want to swap in a metric cluster....?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Great, another guy going 70 KPH on the highway thinking he is going 70MPH. We have a bunch of those here in Florida in the winter.

OP
OP
Joseph Alphin

Joseph Alphin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
You missed my entire point . I want to know if the standard can be replace with the premium with all the gauges . Not that I'm want to change to the metric version .If you notice the metric cluster is also marked in MPH . But thank you for your sound advice

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I wouldn't see why not. As long as the connector is the same on the back. You'll have to find a place that can program mileage on older clusters. It's possible that some devices found on eBay may work

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You missed my entire point . I want to know if the standard can be replace with the premium with all the gauges . Not that I'm want to change to the metric version .If you notice the metric cluster is also marked in MPH . But thank you for your sound advice
Or you could be a grown ass man and figure it out yourself lol. Of course it is double marked, not that anyone else can see it now because you ******* out and changed the picture LMAO. Regardless, at your age you should have a) much thicker skin and b) a sense of humor. I'm also not the one who posted a metric cluster. I knew exactly what you were asking, however you need to work on your communication skills, because as taken literally; you wanted to install a metric cluster. Also no advice was given, you need to work on your sarcasm skills to LMAO. Now that we have your butthurt out of the way.....

As long as it is compatible with your CAN bus it will work, which means at minimum it needs to be a 2008 gas cluster (don't accidentally buy a diesel one) or you need to verify part numbers through 2006 and 2007 to see if they are the same. FYI your mileage will NOT auto-update (this is why dealers will not install used clusters unless they are reconditioned) so you either deal with a mismatch between your PCM and cluster mileage or send it out to get the mileage entered prior to installation. The PIDS are always there, just a matter of whether your cluster is setup to receive certain ones.

OP
OP
Joseph Alphin

Joseph Alphin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
Or you could be a grown ass man and figure it out yourself lol. Of course it is double marked, not that anyone else can see it now because you ******* out and changed the picture LMAO. Regardless, at your age you should have a) much thicker skin and b) a sense of humor. I'm also not the one who posted a metric cluster. I knew exactly what you were asking, however you need to work on your communication skills, because as taken literally; you wanted to install a metric cluster. Also no advice was given, you need to work on your sarcasm skills to LMAO. Now that we have your butthurt out of the way.....

As long as it is compatible with your CAN bus it will work, which means at minimum it needs to be a 2008 gas cluster (don't accidentally buy a diesel one) or you need to verify part numbers through 2006 and 2007 to see if they are the same. FYI your mileage will NOT auto-update (this is why dealers will not install used clusters unless they are reconditioned) so you either deal with a mismatch between your PCM and cluster mileage or send it out to get the mileage entered prior to installation. The PIDS are always there, just a matter of whether your cluster is setup to receive certain ones.
I ask an honest question . A smartass response was unnecessary . I sincerely apologize for posting a metric cluster . I have the ability to read both Everyone is not a damn expert . That being said looks to be more trouble than it's worth . Thanks for the info

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Before we drop this topic, just out of curiosity, wouldn't the sending units also have to be installed for the gauges to work? Or are these marvels of industry clever enough to figure it out on their own? They do have their own brain, after all...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Before we drop this topic, just out of curiosity, wouldn't the sending units also have to be installed for the gauges to work? Or are these marvels of industry clever enough to figure it out on their own? They do have their own brain, after all...

The information for those gauges are being sent to the cluster just for whatever reason dodge likes making 2 different versions of clusters. Same with the 4 gens. Swap in a 7" cluster and you have access to more gauges

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The information for those gauges are being sent to the cluster just for whatever reason dodge likes making 2 different versions of clusters. Same with the 4 gens. Swap in a 7" cluster and you have access to more gauges

So what you're saying is they are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. The times they are a changing...

PS-thanks for the reply

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A smartass response was unnecessary . That being said looks to be more trouble than it's worth . Thanks for the info
Smartass response is always necessary lol.
Only for getting accurate mileage, beyond that everything else will work. There are always OBD plug-in options if you aren't comfortable with it.

The PCM uses the same inputs anyway, as I said earlier, the PIDS are all there, you could quite easily hook up something to the OBD port and see the things that there aren't gauges for.

Bingo

That's why I have my doubts they will interchange . Maybe they are already in place and run through the ECM
Like I said, the PIDS are there. Just for fun I ran through the 06-08 parts books to see if the p/n's matched. They don't between the years, however within the same year it's plug and play, other than maybe trying to plug in one from a diesel.
2008:
p174.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I do wanna caveat what I said above with this; usually within (for Mopar at least) a specific type range family, things will interchange. Good example are 05-07 LX's. All the elex stuff interchanges on them, regardless of p/n's (I've swapped so many parts between an 05 and 06 it's not even funny). If it were me, I'd personally try to find an 08 cluster, but I would try an 06 or 07 if it didn't cost an arm and leg.

OP
OP
Joseph Alphin

Joseph Alphin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
The odometer will need to be adjusted to show the millage from the original cluster , correct ? I know on the 01 Silverado I had it was stored in the ECM and no need to reprogram Thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The odometer will need to be adjusted to show the millage from the original cluster , correct ? I know on the 01 Silverado I had it was stored in the ECM and no need to reprogram Thanks
Correct, it will not auto update. The original mileage will still be kept in the PCM. Once installed the newer cluster will accrue mileage from whatever it was left at.