Question regarding swapping out 7" evic with me 7" evic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 sport and the clusters brighter lights are flickering and I've seen the entire thing go black and then all white. This tells me the cluster is probably going to crap out on me soon. I bought a cluster from a 2014 Bighorn and I learned after the fact that I can't change the splash screen on a 13 or 14 year model. I plan to resell that cluster and get one from a 15+ year truck so I can have the original splash screen.

Anyway, does it matter if the loaner truck does not have push start? My truck does have push start and I want to make sure it will still function correctly. When I get out of my truck with the fob in my pocket it tells me the fob left the truck. How does that work if the loaner truck uses the fob in the ignition? Is there a way to correct this with alfaobd? This will help me hunt for another new cluster.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2013 sport and the clusters brighter lights are flickering and I've seen the entire thing go black and then all white. This tells me the cluster is probably going to crap out on me soon. I bought a cluster from a 2014 Bighorn and I learned after the fact that I can't change the splash screen on a 13 or 14 year model. I plan to resell that cluster and get one from a 15+ year truck so I can have the original splash screen.

Anyway, does it matter if the loaner truck does not have push start? My truck does have push start and I want to make sure it will still function correctly. When I get out of my truck with the fob in my pocket it tells me the fob left the truck. How does that work if the loaner truck uses the fob in the ignition? Is there a way to correct this with alfaobd? This will help me hunt for another new cluster.
It doesn't matter if it has push start BUT you may want to hold on to the earlier year cluster until the newer one is proven to work for you. There have been some compatibility issues reported for 2013 trucks/clusters.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't matter if it has push start BUT you may want to hold on to the earlier year cluster until the newer one is proven to work for you. There have been some compatibility issues reported for 2013 trucks/clusters.
I plan to keep my original cluster since it is still functional until I know for sure the replacement will work. My original cluster, at the moment, is just annoying me with the flickering.

What kind of compatibility issues have there been? I haven't read about that yet. My current target is a 2015 cluster just to have the ability to change the splash screen but I can focus on finding a 13 or 14 from a truck with the same splash screen my sport has currently if it will save me a headache.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I returned the '14 cluster and ordered one for a '13 Laramie so it should have the same splash screen as my sport I think.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I plan to keep my original cluster since it is still functional until I know for sure the replacement will work. My original cluster, at the moment, is just annoying me with the flickering.

What kind of compatibility issues have there been? I haven't read about that yet. My current target is a 2015 cluster just to have the ability to change the splash screen but I can focus on finding a 13 or 14 from a truck with the same splash screen my sport has currently if it will save me a headache.
I believe it was mostly centered around TPMS compatibility issues.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up buying another cluster from a 2013 Laramie and swapped them out. Everything worked but I can not get the engine or idle hours to change using alfaobd. I was able to change the odometer without any issues but the hours won't change with Android or windows version of Alfa. It connects and asks me to confirm the new hours and then a couple seconds later it says it completed but the hours never change. It doesn't even ask me to cycle the ignition off for 30 seconds. I even let it sit overnight since that's what others said to try. I emailed Alfa support asking for suggestions and put the original cluster back in for now.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I ended up buying another cluster from a 2013 Laramie and swapped them out. Everything worked but I can not get the engine or idle hours to change using alfaobd. I was able to change the odometer without any issues but the hours won't change with Android or windows version of Alfa. It connects and asks me to confirm the new hours and then a couple seconds later it says it completed but the hours never change. It doesn't even ask me to cycle the ignition off for 30 seconds. I even let it sit overnight since that's what others said to try. I emailed Alfa support asking for suggestions and put the original cluster back in for now.
Other's have had this same issue. It may be a baudrate issue when flashing the changes if memory servers...what OBDII adapter are you using?

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm using obdlink mx+. I'll have to Google baudrate now. Has anyone been able to figure it out and change the hours?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm using obdlink mx+. I'll have to Google baudrate now. Has anyone been able to figure it out and change the hours?
Many have had that issue. I haven't personally but I know it's been discussed here. If I find something I'll post a link.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many have had that issue. I haven't personally but I know it's been discussed here. If I find something I'll post a link.
I have contacted alfaobd support and he actually sent me an activation code for the windows version. I let him know that it was still doing the same thing and I asked him for suggestions. I am just waiting on his reply for that. I also posted on the alfaobd Facebook page and am also waiting on a response there. As of now I'm just using the stock (flickering) cluster until I get some tangible advice.

Thank you and please do keep me posted if you find a solution.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have contacted alfaobd support and he actually sent me an activation code for the windows version. I let him know that it was still doing the same thing and I asked him for suggestions. I am just waiting on his reply for that. I also posted on the alfaobd Facebook page and am also waiting on a response there. As of now I'm just using the stock (flickering) cluster until I get some tangible advice.

Thank you and please do keep me posted if you find a solution.
I think Alexi may bring up that (for that specific change) the baudrate is not communicating fast enough to secure the changes in the cluster. Their are changeable settings in the app to specify a different rate, just take note of the current setting before changing if you give it a try.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think Alexi may bring up that (for that specific change) the baudrate is not communicating fast enough to secure the changes in the cluster. Their are changeable settings in the app to specify a different rate, just take note of the current setting before changing if you give it a try.
I will have to look into this. Do you know where the setting to change the baudrate would be?

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just found the settings option in alfaobd and see that it's easy to change the baudrate. Mine defaults to 115200, so I'll try 38400 next chance I get to see if it works.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried all 3 baudrates with the same result. Still waiting for Alfa to respond with suggestions.

I also saw all the different settings for changing other speeds/timing but I don't know what they mean so I didn't want to adjust them unless someone told me they had success with it.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I tried all 3 baudrates with the same result. Still waiting for Alfa to respond with suggestions.

I also saw all the different settings for changing other speeds/timing but I don't know what they mean so I didn't want to adjust them unless someone told me they had success with it.
See if this helps...

Also, are you sure you re connected to the Instrument Panel Cluster when making the change?

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See if this helps...

Also, are you sure you re connected to the Instrument Panel Cluster when making the change?
I just put the old cluster back in again and put the bezel back on so it's ready for the work week. I will try those adjustments next chance I get. Also, I am sure I'm connected to the instrument panel as I have made that mistake before trying other things with Alfa. I'm also hoping Alexi will chime in with specific settings to try before next weekend.

I wish it would at least tell me to cycle the ignition to off for 30 seconds so I at least feel as though it's trying to do something. It seems to be just telling me in completed without doing anything since I feel like it'd take more that a second or 2 to actually complete the task based on the videos I've watched.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just put the old cluster back in again and put the bezel back on so it's ready for the work week. I will try those adjustments next chance I get. Also, I am sure I'm connected to the instrument panel as I have made that mistake before trying other things with Alfa. I'm also hoping Alexi will chime in with specific settings to try before next weekend.

I wish it would at least tell me to cycle the ignition to off for 30 seconds so I at least feel as though it's trying to do something. It seems to be just telling me in completed without doing anything since I feel like it'd take more that a second or 2 to actually complete the task based on the videos I've watched.
It's been a long time since I did mine but I believe you are right and I think the cluster will flash, reboot, and display the manufacturer's logo (Continental) briefly during the process...

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a long time since I did mine but I believe you are right and I think the cluster will flash, reboot, and display the manufacturer's logo (Continental) briefly during the process...
When I tried to write the VIN to the cluster it failed and seemed to get stuck on the Continental screen for what seemed like forever until it finally restarted. That was the only time I saw that screen. I even drained my battery working on this because I didn't want to start the truck to keep the engine hours accurate.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It appears Alexi has given up on me since I haven't gotten a response in about 2 days now. I will attempt to change some other time settings next time I have time and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I guess I'm out of luck and will have to deal with the flickering one until it completely craps out.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It appears Alexi has given up on me since I haven't gotten a response in about 2 days now. I will attempt to change some other time settings next time I have time and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I guess I'm out of luck and will have to deal with the flickering one until it completely craps out.
Don't give up hope on him yet. Keep in mind he IS AlfaOBD so everyone in the world with a problem is hitting him up...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357