Intermittent "sluggish start offs" from stand still.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 Diesel
Has anyone come across this problem?
My '05 Ram 3500 dully -- diesel, auto trans -- has recently got to where it takes a whole lot more throttle/RPM to get 'er going. It acts as if I am towing something really heavy, or as you'd expect if you were riding the brakes a bit. Once it gets going, everything seems fine. It doesn't do it all the time, but has gotten to where it is most of the time. The engine itself is running fine; it seems like it's going to be something in the transmission or drive train somewhere. I've checked the transmission fluid level and everything looks fine (in fact, I came close to overfilling it). No discoloration or burnt smell, etc. It just has to rev up a lot more than it should and slowly gets moving. Once it's over 15 mph, or so, it will take off like it should. Also, I've noticed that upon coming to a stop that there's a bit of a bump or thud; as if the truck wants to keep moving just as it gets to a stop.
Could this be a torque converter issue? Maybe as simple as a clogged up tranny filter? ???

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Has anyone come across this problem?
My '05 Ram 3500 dully -- diesel, auto trans -- has recently got to where it takes a whole lot more throttle/RPM to get 'er going. It acts as if I am towing something really heavy, or as you'd expect if you were riding the brakes a bit. Once it gets going, everything seems fine. It doesn't do it all the time, but has gotten to where it is most of the time. The engine itself is running fine; it seems like it's going to be something in the transmission or drive train somewhere. I've checked the transmission fluid level and everything looks fine (in fact, I came close to overfilling it). No discoloration or burnt smell, etc. It just has to rev up a lot more than it should and slowly gets moving. Once it's over 15 mph, or so, it will take off like it should. Also, I've noticed that upon coming to a stop that there's a bit of a bump or thud; as if the truck wants to keep moving just as it gets to a stop.
Could this be a torque converter issue? Maybe as simple as a clogged up tranny filter? ???
Yup. It sure could.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93