Ironman M/T tires scary in the rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I put a set of 35" Ironman M/T's on my 17' Ram crew cab a while back. I've driven about 4700 miles and had no issues at all - a little noisy but what mud tire isn't. I hadn't driven it in the rain until today and HOLY %$# this thing is dangerous. I don't accelerate hard and the tires spin to the point the traction control kicks in. I slid around a corner that I shouldn't have a problem with. I had Nitto Trail Grapplers MT on my 2014 Ram and didn't have a single issue and I'm not driving any different now. I understand that going from factory tires to mud tires there will be a difference but I didn't know it was going to be like this. I'm running 38psi in all 4 tires. Anyone else have these issues? Thanks

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hercules a decent tire company ... Obviously an MT has way less contact patch to even be decent in the rain ... If it’s a harder compound to give them a mileage claim, then it will be even worse ... Light right foot bud ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
usually tires that are good in the rain seem to have more , I forget if its called siping or sipes in the tread which are the little tiny slits. Most M/T don't have much if any I have found. I try to get a tire that has a lot of them if I can and are usually fine in the rain and wet snow ....

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, sipes are for traction in the rain, and on ice ...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My toyos can be scary when we just start getting rain before all the oil and grime is washed off the road. Pretty much anytime its actively raining the truck is in 4 Auto. One thing that helps is looking at load tables and reprogramming TPS if needed. I only run 28lbs and I could technically go lower if I remember correctly.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sooo, just a question ... Do you take your truck serious muddin ? Most RT’s will do everything most people need, and a good AT will do 70% of everything ... Unless of course you’re out there goin rocker deep in the mud bog, or ya just like the way they look, then ya probably don’t need MT’s ... And MT’s pretty much suck in snow and ice too ...