Is a MagnaFlow/Flowmaster muffler worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Want something to enhance the great sounding 5.7 hemi, didn't know if spending a few hundred on having a muffler installed would make that much of a noticeable difference. Obviously it's cheaper than a whole new exhaust system. If so which muffler would be a good choice?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
A 14' Magnaflow would make quite a bit of difference, has a mild drone but nothing to bad

Can't speak to Flowmaster as I never had one

Just got a Borla XR-1 40085 , we'll see how that is

OP
OP
Ethan16

Ethan16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A 14' Magnaflow would make quite a bit of difference, has a mild drone but nothing to bad

Can't speak to Flowmaster as I never had one

Just got a Borla XR-1 40085 , we'll see how that is

Did you have a local auto shop install it for you? What kind of price do they charge?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I second a 14" Magnaflow. You can buy them from Moes Performance. The Mufflex Magnaflow kits are bolt on

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I had a single outlet exhaust, went with a 14" Magnaflow with dual out the sides behind the tires

$ 300.00, I live in a pretty conservative area, probably more if you live in the City

Carven makes a bolt on

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sound is a preferance but a muffler will make a drastic diff on sound depending on which muffler. I would highly recommend going through youtube and listening to many different mufflers, what sounds amazing to one may be terrible to someone else. Also so many people are "drone" queens and apparently get a headache if the wind blows lol so cant take a real aggresive muffler. if you want as loud and aggresive as possible then flowmaster 10 series can not be beat but it WILL drone in your cab which is why even flowmaster says not a recommended muffler for strteet vehicles lol carven is the new trend for a pretty aggresive sound and not terrible drone. the blackwidow mufflers ive been real curious about because ive yet to hear one in person, BORLA makes some great sounding stuff, spintech..... lots of options to listen to

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a whole wide world of exhaust choices besides magnaflow and flowmaster. Borla,cherry bomb, gibson, ******, black widow, spintech, jones, dynomax, powersticks. First question is what type tone do you want, hollow, deep, raspy, poppy, 2nd how loud do you want it, 3rd how much $$$ do you want to drop

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I put a Magnaflow on. Paid somewhere around $200 (I don't remember off the top of my head) to have it welded on. It was the first mod I did to the truck. The factory muffler just doesn't make the hemi sound like a hemi.

OP
OP
Ethan16

Ethan16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a whole wide world of exhaust choices besides magnaflow and flowmaster. Borla,cherry bomb, gibson, ******, black widow, spintech, jones, dynomax, powersticks. First question is what type tone do you want, hollow, deep, raspy, poppy, 2nd how loud do you want it, 3rd how much $$$ do you want to drop

I want a more throaty deeper sounding exhaust. Not looking to drop more than a couple hundred that's why I was leaning towards a new muffler instead of a whole new exhaust. Nothing too loud but definitely want it louder than stock exhaust.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Want something to enhance the great sounding 5.7 hemi, didn't know if spending a few hundred on having a muffler installed would make that much of a noticeable difference. Obviously it's cheaper than a whole new exhaust system. If so which muffler would be a good choice?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
xxxx

Magnaflow makes an amazing difference.

You can go with just the muffler and have it welded on, or you can go with a pre-configured Magnaflow already piped with OEM matching stainless, and ready for DIY bolt on in 14, 18 or 24" length from Mufflex.

They also make a muffler delete, but I can't see how that isn't just too loud if you have neighbors or ever expect girl firend/wifey to ride with you.

All three sizes use direct flow Magnaflow mufflers and the short one is clearly the loudest, but I've heard many folks complaints about drone at highways speeds when the MDS system cuts out cylinders from the 14".

If you really want to enhance the sound quality to eleven, there are 5" tips you can add. They don't add noise, but since they have almost 10" of length at 5" width, they give a nice deepened note.

I went with the 24" Mufflex and added the 5" tips.

Tips alone would have made a nice improvement over the stock muffler, but I wanted to get rid of that ginormous, heavy, chambered boat anchor.

You are going to hear all kinds of recommendations here and there are all kinds of audio clips on YouTube you can listen to. Ultimately it pays to take your time and do the research so you don't wind up buying exhaust mods twice.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The bolt on carven kit is $300 bucks so it sounds right up your alley. It’s more of a rumble and not a redneck crack and pop. I’m real happy with mine. And that video witch shared totally should make anyone wanna buy it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Take it to a cheap muffler shop and have them delete the muffler and use the resonator in its place and run a side pipe. Place I went to here charged me $50.

Truck sounds great, kind of Poppy and and a tad airy/hollow. Isn't too loud with cruise control on, but you can hear it resonate and it does drone when you put your foot in it especially around 2,000 rpms.

Nobody who has ridden in my truck has complained about the sound, loudness, or drone so it must not be too bad...

Here is the exhaust video that I made.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with 5" bolt on 5" tips to start. Easy swap and made the hemi have more throaty sound when steppin on go petal! Hate the oem 55 gallon drum muffler so got the magnaflow 18" mufflex direct swap diy muffler. Not too bad a job but a shop would charge 100ish to install it for you. Now the HEMI IS ALIVE!!! Pretty docile in traffic and residential areas but punch it and man she comes alive.
I went 18" cuz figure it kinda in the middle ....24 too quiet, 14 too loud, 18 JUST RIGHT
Full disclosure...im an old fart, been there done that with rattle the brains exaust

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I changed get out the muffler on my 14 ram 1500 not long after I bought it new. I did some research, watched videos online and for my taste I went with the mufflex magnaflow 18 inch bolt on. It has a nice rumble at idle, quiet going down the highway, and loud when you mash the skinny peddle. I've never been a fan of Flowmaster mufflers, I had one on an early 2nd gen dodge ram with a 360 and I hated how it had a hollow sound to it.