Is it safe to manually shift 545rfe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you are doing all this shifting, are you using tow/haul mode or standard? Doesn't tow/haul disable the lock up of the converter or something and change the shift pattern some? I know that when I use tow/haul, the trans will hold a gear much longer and never goes into lock up mode in top gear, great for climbing grades or going down grades, loaded or unloaded.
TOW/HAUL will cancel 5ft gear only and will modify shift pattern holding 2nd gear longer than normal then shift in 3rd then converter lockup will occur at around 30 mph depending on how hard the acceleration is and when vehicle speed stabilizes it will shift in 4th. And as soon as you press the brake pedal the tranny will automatically shift back into 3rd. And with one more press of the button you will go in OD/OFF mode witch will cancel both 4th and 5ft gears and still get converter lockup feature at 30 mph in 3rd as compared when in normal mode when converter lockup will occur in 4th gear at around 45 mph and then shift in 5ft when vehicle speed stabilizes.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done it both ways before. In tow/haul mode, I've noticed it likes to stay closer to 2-2.5k rpm than 1250-1750. It also locks out 5th from what I can discern.

The button only has 2 functions in my truck as far as I know. On or off.

Sent from my magic 5-inch
TOW/Haul locks out 5ft gear holding 3rd until vehicle speed really stabilizes and then shift in 4th. and OD/OFF locks out both 4th and 5ft gears. So yeah in 3rd gear at 55-60 mph the hemi will turn around 2500 rpms.