It's official-the 6.4L is getting an 8-speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else notice.....there’s no antenna on the passenger side fender, it has the sharkfin and another small flat one on the roof now

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I know the ZF 8 speed is pretty awesome in my car. Lightning quick shifts when I put it in sport mode. Converter locks up almost immediately on every shift.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I don't know about the Ike, but I do know I pulled my old box trailer with my buddy's 1500 5.7/8 spd/3.92, and I was embarrassed how much better the powertrain worked compared to my 2500 6.4/66RFE/4.10. The 6.4 will feel like a beast hooked to the ZF.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
having previously owned an 8-speed 1500 and knowing how awesome it was in that truck, this is the exact thing the 6.4l needs. my wife is going to be pissed when i take one for a test drive.
My wife has already said. No dealership for me lmao

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My wife has already said. No dealership for me lmao

I’m gonna wait for the 2020 PW. It’ll be hard to do but... I really don’t want a 1st production year model. Too damn many bugs.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I didn’t see that. I’ll have to look again

I love my truck!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I’m gonna wait for the 2020 PW. It’ll be hard to do but... I really don’t want a 1st production year model. Too damn many bugs.

I love my truck!
Now that I’m fixing my truck up a little more and gonna be off-roading it. Maybe she will have to get a 2509 with the 8spd. I’ll be watching the fuel mileage on those closely.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I cannot wait to test drive a 6.4/8 speed/4.10 combo truck!

Just wait until they run that combo up the Ike.............you wont hear a peep from any GM guys and their 6.0’s after that happens............

And for what it’s worth, a power bump would have been nice but with the 8speed it will Likely feel like the truck got one.

I'm very curious to see the 6.4's performance on the hill myself now that it has the 8 speed. I actually hope the TFL crew gets a 3.73 gear set truck. The 6.2L Ford has set the benchmark up that hill with a load and a 3.73. Now that it has an 8 speed, if the 6.4 can't match or exceed that performance, I'm going to be somewhat disappointed. Competition in the heavy duty gas department is going to be sky high this year. Don't forget, GM will most likely be showing off their new 6.6L V8 gasser that may be backed by a 10 speed at the Chicago Auto Show in February. The 6.0 is being retired. Ford may be introducing the 7.3L in their super duty line-up in the very near future. The consumer is going to have all kinds of new choices in the next 12 months for gasser heavy duty's.

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bumm d that we got no power bump but the 8-spd is an excellent transmission. You rarely hear anyone talk about an 8-spd transmission issue. They are solid units. You guys worried about the rotary dial will find that you get used to it real quick and never give it a 2nd thought once you have used it for a day or two.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice you can get the 12” screen without the full console. I really like all those cameras

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm very curious to see the 6.4's performance on the hill myself now that it has the 8 speed. I actually hope the TFL crew gets a 3.73 gear set truck. The 6.2L Ford has set the benchmark up that hill with a load and a 3.73. Now that it has an 8 speed, if the 6.4 can't match or exceed that performance, I'm going to be somewhat disappointed. Competition in the heavy duty gas department is going to be sky high this year. Don't forget, GM will most likely be showing off their new 6.6L V8 gasser that may be backed by a 10 speed at the Chicago Auto Show in February. The 6.0 is being retired. Ford may be introducing the 7.3L in their super duty line-up in the very near future. The consumer is going to have all kinds of new choices in the next 12 months for gasser heavy duty's.

If there is a 7.3 10-spd SuperDuty I’ll be jumping over. That’s assuming Ford doesn’t ugly-up their trucks as bad as RAM and GM did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Can’t wait to see TFL test the new 6.4/8 up the Ike. It will be interesting.

If the new truck feels ANYTHING like the 392 SRT/8 it will be night and day experience. And it WAS night and day going from the 6.1/5 to 6.4/8 as far as seat of the pants enjoyment. People gush over the ZF all the time but it is well deserved. Almost can’t describe how good the thing shifts in cars at the price point. Not just how fast it shifts but how smooth it is and how it always grabs the right gear no matter what youre doing to it. Just gotta get behind the wheel of one and experience it. It’s a match made in heaven with the 392 and Hellcat. Its going to be a great transition for the Ram.

A few mods to a new Power Wagon and you'll really have yourself a hot rod truck.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doubt Ford and GM have better offering coming and it should be a great test. Hell, i wouldn’t think twice on buying a current 4th Gen HD if they put an 8 speed in it, it’s no secret it’s bigggest downfall is the 66RFE. Glad to see some strides being made for the masses that need more payload and hauling than a 1500 but not needing a diesel (and I’ve owned 2 6.7 CTD’s!).

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If ford was smart they would take that 5.0 platform to a eco boost and shove it in their HD trucks rather than a 7.3L, at least I think it would be smart, they would cut deep into their diesel sells though lol.

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well damn. And to think I just bought mine. Wife would probably be ok trading up but I won’t do it. Love this truck. That 8 speed is going to change everything about the new truck. Night and day.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

doesnt matter how fast the 6.2 will go up a hill. ford has a big problem on their hands and its called death wobble, steering wheel osilation, the shimmy, shake. not knowing when it would hit or how severe , me personally i wouldnt tooch a ford with ten foot pole. spend $70k only to have to dump a bunch of my own money on aftermarket parts correcting ford engineers mistakes. no thanks

something else i just became aware of was the door latches that dont latch properly in winter months. its 2019 and we still cant get a door latch figured out. unbelievable. some guy has to drive around with bungy cords holding the doors shut on his brandnew ford. what a shame

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
doesnt matter how fast the 6.2 will go up a hill. ford has a big problem on their hands and its called death wobble, steering wheel osilation, the shimmy, shake. not knowing when it would hit or how severe , me personally i wouldnt tooch a ford with ten foot pole. spend $70k only to have to dump a bunch of my own money on aftermarket parts correcting ford engineers mistakes. no thanks

something else i just became aware of was the door latches that dont latch properly in winter months. its 2019 and we still cant get a door latch figured out. unbelievable. some guy has to drive around with bungy cords holding the doors shut on his brandnew ford. what a shame

Friend of mine has a brand new super duty. His kid damn near fell out of the truck because his door wont stay latched. He takes it to the dealer and they told him they dont know how to fix it. SWEET!!!!