Jack holder wingnut.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just wondering if this has happned to anyone else. The other day I was removing the jack for the first time. The wingnut was so tight I could not remove it by hand. I got out the channel locks and you guessed it, snapped it right off. I was looking for any repair ideas.Ram Wingnut.jpg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Buy a cheap toolbox at Harbor Freight and keep the jack in it. The factory mounting setup is a disaster and not worth repairing IMO.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You will need to get under the truck and remove the rest of that stud from underneath if you're lucky enough to have a piece to grab with vise grips.

You can go buy the 2018 version that stimpy433 posted. I went to home depot and bought a stainless steel bolt the same length, a nut and lock washer and a wingnut. I ran that up through the bottom then put a nut on from the top under the seat to lock it in place then secured the jack to it with the wingnut.

The whole reason I did that instead of the 2018 part from the dealer is it takes me 20 or so minutes to get to the dealer but only 3 minutes to get to home depot. Also I bought a shorter stainless steel bolt because there is another threaded hole about 6 inches in front of that and water, road salt etc can get in through that and rot the floor through eventually.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There should be a 1/2" of the threaded wing bolt sticking out on the floorboard underneath.
Tightly grab it with a pair of vise grips and unscrew it down through the insert nut in the floorboard. Just remember to clear the threads out and use anti-seize on the new bolt.
Within a week of buying my Ram in 2016 I had put anti-seize on that bolt.
Also one major time and frustration saving tip that no one thinks about is the bimetal corrosion of your aluminum wheels to steel hubs = wiping a very, very light coating of anti-seize on the center of your wheel around all your lug bolt holes.
I have done this to my wheels after seeing the mechanic doing the inspection on a 89 Dakota that I purchased in 1994 having to beat the wheel off the truck with a board and small sledgehammer.