Jerky shifting reverse to drive??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cjmccoy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve been noticing that when I back out of my driveway then put it in drive I get a very abrupt and jerky shift. BUT ONLY when I come to a complete stop before I put it in drive. If I’m backing up and put it into drive right before I come to a complete stop it’s perfectly smooth!

anyone have any experience with this? My tranny fluid is in good condition. Thanks in advance.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So I’ve been noticing that when I back out of my driveway then put it in drive I get a very abrupt and jerky shift. BUT ONLY when I come to a complete stop before I put it in drive. If I’m backing up and put it into drive right before I come to a complete stop it’s perfectly smooth!

anyone have any experience with this? My tranny fluid is in good condition. Thanks in advance.

I’m judging you have the 6 speed because of you saying you have good fluid condition? And it’s normal, mine doesn’t do it, but my friends does and it’s followed by a loud clunk.

Sent from iPhone XS Max

OP
OP
C

Cjmccoy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it’s the 2010 “5 speed”. Hmm that’s weird, well I’m glad I’m not the only one. I don’t have any clunking noise though. Was wondering if maybe it’s the spline in the driveshaft sticking.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yes it’s the 2010 “5 speed”. Hmm that’s weird, well I’m glad I’m not the only one. I don’t have any clunking noise though. Was wondering if maybe it’s the spline in the driveshaft sticking.

It’s probably the driveshaft engaging, remember, the trans is having to move around 200 or so pounds of metal from a dead stop. I wouldn’t worry unless it gets worse.

Sent from iPhone XS Max

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had an 88, and after that, a 99 Dakota. They both did the "Direction Change Clunk". But oddly enough, the 11 does not.

It never hurt anything. I always just chalked it up to: It's a Dodge.