Jlpowell84's Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1st time trying the 0-60 on the Diablo Sport... 6.07...I have no idea what is good but 35x12.5's don't help lol

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I purchased a 3" in and out resonator to go after Y-pipe and before muffler. It's 100% straight through design with a perforated core so I expect no restriction to the air flow I have gained. If you go to the reviews on the Amazon link you can see a guy with a WRX who did a bigger turbo which means bigger turbo exhaust manifold/header and he did 3" pipes all the way out with a magna flow muffler. Was really loud then he did this and it had a significant impact. Yes it was not as loud by a long shot but I expect it to not have major impact on mine. Mainly it eliminated the droning bass notes and ear cringing high pitch notes but still sounded mean.

I need to eliminate the drone and noise at lower RPMS so we shall see how it goes! I will make a stock/what I have now/and after video. I love the mean nasty and raspy sound I have now and I hope it will stay the same but eliminate what I want eliminated.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered the Billet Tech oil catch can today. I can't believe the crap Chrysler wants us to burn up!

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resonator (Vibrant 1141) arrives tomm, I hope it does not neuter the sound. IT has had drastic effects on 4 bangers on Youtube. They still sound good minus the obnoxious bass and higher frequencies an exhaust without a resonator has but also a good bit quieter as well. I am hoping since I have long tube headers and the cat back all wide open as well as the resonator is straight through wide open that it will tame off the low RPM drone and low RPM acceleration loudness. All of this without killing the pedal to the metal meanness I have accomplished.

Also jumping to muffler shop to have them put a 10 degree bend in a 3" piece. Vibrant told me to put the resonator as close to the merge collector as possible which is no prob. I have three feet to work with. The bend is because like I have mentioned the Y-pipe opening has a slight downward angle to it. Cant see it but it's there. I know it prob could be corrected with loosening bolts back toward headers but I really don't want to so this is an easy solution.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resonator just came in :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.29.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.29.18 AM.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.29.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.29.28 AM.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, in continuing my conversation with myself... :crazy:

I put together the Resonator assembly at lunch today. The slight angle on the short side solves the ARH Y-pipe's slight 8 degree downward angle and I will attach that end to the Y-pipe opening...

35.5" overall was the previous length including the parts that insert into the Y-pipe and MBRP muffler flange's. Should have it installed in 40 min or so when I get home!

Excited to see how it sounds. Really hoping it tames it just slightly is all.

Used Butt joint clamps, not lap joint...torqued them down so much they look like lap joint clamps LOL! Also used some of the exhaust sealant paste under the clamps. It' rock solid!

Attachments

• Resonator assembly .jpg
    Resonator assembly .jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the Vibrant model #1141 resonator installed. Took the edge off the high frequencies. Didn't do anything at all to bass frequencies or drone at highway speeds but I didn't expect it to. MDS drone is really going to get annoying so I am researching a J pipe aka Helmholtz resonator. Some V8 Camaro guys have had serious success canceling out the frequency the drone occurs at.

She still sounds like a BEAST. It did take away some of the aggressive raspy-ness which I loved at full throttle but overall I am happy because the passive raspiness at 1900-2900 RPM mild acceleration was obnoxious.

I will get some comparison videos made up this next week.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.08.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.08.13 PM.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.08.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.08.28 PM.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
double...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have a tutorial for installing the efan? My TYC 622320 came in today...

Also, Matt. I want to start talking specifics on the TQ, how do you select the stall speed? Going to order in the next couple weeks...OR sooner based on my mod purchasing habits up to this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the Billet Tech oil catch can installed. Definitely impressed with the overall quality of this little thing. Hose were cut 100% perfect length, can tell the attention to detail they have.

Attachments

• P1020012.jpg
    P1020012.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 75

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you ever find out any information on installing the TYC ?

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever find out any information on installing the TYC ?

I found this thread.

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_v6_efan_conversion-17595/

It seems it's literally the mounting bolts to hold the fan then plugging in. If you get the TYC 622320 you hope yours is balanced enough to not cause unwanted vibrations. Although it seems there would be a way to balance the fan.

I have yet to unbox out of pure laziness.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I ordered OPT7 H11 LED low beams and their 9005 LED fogs. Stock lights suck on these BIG TIME! I am just hoping it's not stupid bright for oncoming traffic. One member had his installed AND aimed too high and didn't get flashed once while driving around for an hr.

Also caught the plasti dip bug...Blacked out the rear tailgate emblem and shaved the 4x4 and SLT emblems. Passenger side I shaved RAM 1500. If I end up wanting it back then I will buy new ones but I think it looked decent with them on, at least my truck with the deep cherry red paint, black accenting from the rims, tires, steps then the chrome grill, bumpers, headlights, door handles and emblems really tied it all in together. For now I will leave the Hemi/5.7. Also stripped the door pillar vinyl pieces and plan to replace with black carbon fiber vinyl.

The grill I took off and am in experimentation mode. I basically plasti dipped the entire interior and left the outer ring chrome. We shall see how it looks but I always felt the aftermarket grills looked too plain as the Ram grill covers a big area physically. I taped off the line on the inside lip as soon as you turn from the front face so we shall see how it looks on the truck. I am thinking of taking the RAM letters and 3M taping them on the right drivers side of the middle section of the grill. I think the chrome will tie in nicely and give the truck a custom look.

Pics coming soon! I live next to tons of Douglas fir trees and am getting CRAZY amounts of pollen! Almost could not see through my windshield from the side of the truck yesterday!

Will be wording the TQ from Moe's soon as I connect with Matt. Hoping this part will really give me a little boost of the power I have gained...

efan installation coming too...

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pics coming I promise, just need to get the truck bolted back together :)

I installed the TYC 622320 electric fan last night. Need to get my Hemi fever tune back with new fan settings within. But very good news as I turned my AC on to get the fan moving AND I GOT A QUIET ONE! Absolutely zero vibration at all. Max AC kicks the fan into high and I can hear the upper end of the upper frequencies is all! Zero vibrations or bass frequencies which I have a good bit of experience in detecting from my sound/home theater hobby. So I am stoked about that. Also on high it absolutely blows SERIOUS amounts of air! I held an 8x11 piece of paper at least 16" back from radiator (grill is off) and it sucked it right up to it violently. All said this fan is highly capable!

Also installed the Motorad 180 stat from Autozone for $12.99. Coolant temps now will stay from 182ish to 190 ish I believe. When driving around it stays right at 183 most of the time. When parked it can rise over 200 and more (hit 212 last night before hitting road again to cool down) but once my Hemi Fever tune comes back we should be golden.

With the clutch fan gone (was able to get off with vice grips and screw driver in pulley hole and elbow grease) and the cooler temps the truck is really starting to pull hard. There are some instances yes where it won't down shift or is just in lower RPMS and it feels a tad sluggish at first. But if I am crushing at like 25-30MPH and hammer it she just freaking launches! I think the clutch fan gone and the stat compliment the other mods I have done so far very well.

I also am noticing eco is coming on even easier now. It even came on while mildly accelerating up a short incline (about 30ft over the course of 50 yards) which it has never done. I think the engine is running even more efficient now. I also can now accelerate in eco mode which before had to be done with the lightest of touch on the pedal and even then usually it kicked out. All of this on 35's!

Other news is I ordered the Edge racing Torque Converter and a set of 16 OEM NKG plugs from Matt today. We decided on 2800 RPM for the TQ based on 3.55 gears and 35's. We are banking on this piece being the one that connects all of the dots and gets that new power to the wheels. I plan on doing the plugs myself, never done it but I seen others did who never have. From what I have read it is nothing technical, just wrenching and the right tools. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. Magnetic socket is a must I read and do it an hour or little more after engine was in use. The warmer temps help the plugs come out easier.

But do I use unit seize when new ones go in?

I will look to add the ATI 15% UD pulley this summer and maybe an 87mm throttle body but not sure about that. Also want to install some Bilstein 5100's and bring my rear end up one click. Would love a 6" lift but that may need to wait until next year...

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the grill. I'm 99.9% of the time very OCD about symmetry with anything but I like the offset RAM lettering. Its all just plasti dip so easily removable. Passenger side has RAM 1500 removed, didn't do drivers side yet. Really just experimenting a bit to see what looks good. I'm not sure right now really it needs some work still. I think the TRX4 OFF ROAD logo on end of bed side panels need to go. Maybe do the HEMI badge in black. That way the black ties in from the grill, rear emblem and hem logo and windows are black. Then the chrome still has the bumpers, door handles, and grill border.

Attachments

• P1020021.jpg
    P1020021.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.58.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.58.39 PM.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.20 PM.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.00 PM.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.59.31 PM.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 88

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Sick man!! I'd def do the TB upgrade to compliment the exhaust. Cam upgrade?

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sick man!! I'd def do the TB upgrade to compliment the exhaust. Cam upgrade?

No cam :) I done after UD pulley and maybe throttle boddy.

Other develoments...Decided I need smaller tires to combat low end torque loss and help overall through the power band. Ordered the Torque Converter from Moe's (and some OEM NKG plugs). Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in 305/60/R18.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay My 305/60/R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s came in today. Gonna go first thing in the AM to have them installed. I REALLY HOPE it looks good with my rims. I honestly prefer the look of a 20" rim on a simple leveled 4wd with 33s. My rims from outer edge of metal where it meets the rubber actually measured 19-1/8" so it is a big 18. IF not I may have to sell rim and 35s I have and get a 20" rim. Also really hoping the tires do not look too small! I have been looking all over the place and have seen numerous chevy's and fords with a Terra Grappler that measures 12.24" wide just like mine and they looked great and poked out a bit. But some had more offset. I actually do not know what offset I have, I think its zero or close to it. Has to be further sticking out that stock to fit 12.5" wide 35s on there right?

Taking Magnum RT steps off tonight and meeting buyer tomm, Mopar splash guards are coming today. I found a guy who does badging and am planning some badass badges! Gonna do HEMI in black with the two red stripes and maybe a Diablo Sport logo on the other side of the Hemi.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man, I just discovered a VERY talented custom badge guy. This is going to be epic!