Just got in an accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Be sure the body shop warranties their work.

- The Blue Mule
Good advise from @McBroom . I used to get a lot of Navy people from the West Milton Nuclear Sub Facility in NY. My best advice for them was to use a shop that your insurer offers a lifetime warranty with. That way when you get re-stationed 2500 miles away and there is a problem with the repair, you are not committed to dealing with the original shop. You simply notify the insurer (even if you switched carriers) and they send you to a shop in your new area, they handle the repair and you're done.

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s at the shop. I did my research and thank you all for the input. Found a shop with that lifetime warranty that the insurance covers. I was told expect to have it complete by July 12th. The shop had a few cars all from the big down pour we had in Wednesday that all where wrecked. Also all the rental car companies around me have depleted their stock so going to have to wait until next week to get a rental which actually works since I don’t go back to work until Tuesday. Hopefully all repairs go well, fingers crossed.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For a big job like that, I'd have gone to the dealer. New Mopar parts. Ram dealers everywhere.

Gene gleason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
The deer population in new jersey is out of control.thanks to the number of deer hunters that don’t want to go thru the hassle of owning a firearm. My neighborhood,you don’t drive normal speed ,dusk till dawn. Slow and easy ,they are everywhere . Glad all is ok ,we have hit 4 in 20 years .

Bobd2457

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it finally happened, thank you New Jersey. I was on my way home and a deer jumped in front of me...it’s pouring here of course...tried to steer....rear got loose and hit a concrete guard rail. Lucky everyone is ok, no airbags deployed. Now waiting on the tow truck to bring it home.
I just had one too my friend. South Florida I95. Traffic dead stop. Car in front of me accelerated to go.. I went and he slammed on his brakes I hit mine and the anti skid accuated. Hit his Honda centered right on his bumper very minor damage to his car( maybe the plastic cover. Me..caved in the lower steel bumper on my 2017 Tradesman. No air bag deployment but Speed at impact was like 5 mph. Brightside is now I have an excuse to get a bumper with foglight cut outs. Alls well that ends well.

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Also glad the airbags didn’t come out but also a little unnerving since mine never deployed either. I’ve seen some pretty hard impacts with these trucks and they never deploy.
Hey! But Just you guys wait until I post the story of the repairs to my truck. It’s been 4 months since the accident and I still don’t have it back. Hopefully the week after next.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Hit two deer over the years. Never swerve to avoid. Oak trees and concrete are much tougher on both vehicles and people. Glad you're OK

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hit two deer over the years. Never swerve to avoid. Oak trees and concrete are much tougher on both vehicles and people. Glad you're OK

it makes complete sense to me but saying that in the situation i'd probably swerve because it's muscle memory for me from years of crash avoidance on a motorbike ingrained. Fortunately, where I am it's pretty much flat prairie when i'm on the highway. next to wildlife my collision is probably more likely with a ditch or a barb wire fence. when my kids were young i used to drive to the lake 10 hours overnight leaving about 9pm. the kids loved it because they could sleep most of the night and be at the lake when they woke up. Looking back it seems insane I did that given how many deer are out at night. I've seen more during day drives than night drives. Last year I was on my bike driving back from the lake, sun just up as I left. I get about 10 miles from the cabin on the main highway and I've got my radar out for deer, But not the baby black bear who was on the side of the highway and popped up on his hind legs and watched me as I went by! that just about put me in the ditch as in 40 years, I've never seen a bear south of our cabin (it's only about 20 miles from a city and a pretty busy highway during the day).

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s at the shop. I did my research and thank you all for the input. Found a shop with that lifetime warranty that the insurance covers. I was told expect to have it complete by July 12th. The shop had a few cars all from the big down pour we had in Wednesday that all where wrecked. Also all the rental car companies around me have depleted their stock so going to have to wait until next week to get a rental which actually works since I don’t go back to work until Tuesday. Hopefully all repairs go well, fingers crossed.

How it all works out for you, shipmate. Just saw the pictures...could have been a lot worse. My sister rolled her Silverado avoiding Bambi under similar conditions to you in GA some years ago.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Sucks that you won't have your baby for the 4th of July libo time; but, at least you'll be getting her back and not mourning her loss.

17crewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sucks. I've hit several deer here in Iowa. There are as many deer as people I think. I live a few miles from Iowa's oldest state park and have counted 146 at one time in one spot eating just outside the park. it was deer season and just past the legal time to shoot. They know and were out eating.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Great that your Ok , I hope your a hunter because I would be looking forward to the season lol . I was a Combat Engineer in the Army thanks for your service brother .

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Also glad the airbags didn’t come out but also a little unnerving since mine never deployed either. I’ve seen some pretty hard impacts with these trucks and they never deploy.
Hey! But Just you guys wait until I post the story of the repairs to my truck. It’s been 4 months since the accident and I still don’t have it back. Hopefully the week after next.
When it happened the impact didn’t feel that bad...I know I hit something in the rear and when I stopped and got out...what a surprise.

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How it all works out for you, shipmate. Just saw the pictures...could have been a lot worse. My sister rolled her Silverado avoiding Bambi under similar conditions to you in GA some years ago.
Thanks I hope it does too

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Interesting that people blame a state or a dead deer for the damage to their car but no mention of driving too fast for the conditions. Deer live in my area and there are roads that are safe to drive at 45 mph in the daytime but at night my headlights only illuminate the road some 50 yards out and I need time to see a deer in the road and take my foot off the accelerator and hit the brakes and then bring the vehicle to a full stop.

At 45 mph my truck is moving at 66 feet per second and so seeing a deer 150 feet ahead would result in an accident as I would have less than 3 seconds to react and bring the truck to a full stop and it would never happen.

The concept of stopping distance seems to elude people. Again where I live the sight distances with all the curves in the roads is usually less than 150 feet but drivers still go along at 45 to 55 mph and if anyone pulls out in front or there is a vehicle broken down in the road or anything at all, there will be an "accident".

Some countries have no legal accidents. Someone is always considered to be at fault for failing to operate a vehicle properly for the prevailing conditions. I agree.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hydroplaned the other day and sucked me straight to the wall. I felt a slight slap and instantly new i just smashed the hole side of my truck. I was so mad i didnt even stop. Once i finally got where i was going i got out and looked towards the back and no damage. Walked around the door and no damage. I slowed down and kept it just straight enough that my front tire hit the bottom of the wall and that was the only thing that hit. I have a black ring around my tire that looks like curb rash but its wall rash lol. I got very lucky. Still not quite sure how but im not arguing. I was going 55+ when i hit the standing water in my lane. Instantly sucked me to the center wall. I was turning to the right and brake pressed as hard as i could and it never phased the water. Just kept going. Glad yal are ok.

20190616_190738.jpg

Ret Navy CPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Glad you're not hurt. Get out and kick the deer, it' great stress relief. The good news is that your vehicle is not totaled. Getting it fixed takes less time that resolving a total loss claim.

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
yep, hit a deer 6-7 months ago, no time to swerve. hit him going 65 in dense fog on divide highway near cross plains, tx. bumper cover, fencer, and headlight assy. Momma was asleep in passenger seat (didn't know she could go into a hoover like that!). "). Now my truck has a moving accident and can't get rid of it........ Glad everyone is ok UnsatFC. MAGA KAG WWG1WGA