Keep an eye on your roof line above the windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man I don't know if it's the blue streak pearl paint on my 2019 classic, or just my luck, but I can't keep up with the little paint chips. I do mostly rural-ish roads and highway driving and it seems to take it's toll on the blue paint much more than it did on my brilliant black 2017. I'm terrible with a touch up pen and have tried two different aftermarket ones and it always looks like crap. Touching up the black was much easier for me and seemed to blend in better.

The worst part is I keep getting chips and dings on the paint at the roofline, just above the windshield and it's a total pain in the **** to get at that area to touch it up. I had two stone chips that actually dinged the metal, chipped the paint so badly it started to rust. I filled the areas in with rust bullet which is a paint over rust type product. The color doesn't match, but I top coat it w/ touch up paint.

Anyone else notice differences between colors on 4th gen Ram 1500s?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe the hood deflector, if you have one, is causing debris to rise up higher. You could try a thin strip of 3M clear film up there. Good luck

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That area above the w/s would be an ideal spot to put clear 3M tape. The first and biggest ding that required touch up in that spot was right after I bought the truck used in July. I didn't notice the spot until a day or two after I took delivery and this was before I installed my AVS flush mount hood bug deflector. The main reason I put the bug deflector on was the multiple little stone chips on the leading edge of the hood. I knew those were there when I bought the truck used from Enterprise car sales. It's an as-is sale with them.

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish 3M clear wrap wasn't a zillion dollars a square inch. I'd have the whole truck wrapped. LOL

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Xpel ultimate is your friend. It’s called the roof cap also do the A pillars. I learned the hard way from when I had my 4th Gen I had just the front end wrapped (bumper,grill, partial hood/fender) thinking that was enough. Nope when I went to clean it up before I traded it in I noticed the rock chips on the roof cap/pillars. You betcha I spent the extra money on my 5th gen and had those areas also wrapped it additione to.

Touch up paint then apply ppf

I use mopar touch paint pen in the past, no complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wife’s blue 2015 Camry had this issue... now it’s a rust hole. I hate my climate.

Rreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I don't know if it's the blue streak pearl paint on my 2019 classic, or just my luck, but I can't keep up with the little paint chips. I do mostly rural-ish roads and highway driving and it seems to take it's toll on the blue paint much more than it did on my brilliant black 2017. I'm terrible with a touch up pen and have tried two different aftermarket ones and it always looks like crap. Touching up the black was much easier for me and seemed to blend in better.

The worst part is I keep getting chips and dings on the paint at the roofline, just above the windshield and it's a total pain in the **** to get at that area to touch it up. I had two stone chips that actually dinged the metal, chipped the paint so badly it started to rust. I filled the areas in with rust bullet which is a paint over rust type product. The color doesn't match, but I top coat it w/ touch up paint.

Anyone else notice differences between colors on 4th gen Ram 1500s?

Rreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haves so many dings as well on my 2019 Big Horn. There are even chips on the edge of the door??? how can that even happen. I am am looking to touch up but also protect for future wear. I have scratches all along my passenger side from a pine tree brushing song side it. A PINE TREE! Oh, I would hope the paint holds up!

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've had my truck for 2 months and the chips are already starting to show... Frustrating.