Keep looking back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok here goes. I have driven Fords my whole adult life. Have had 250s and 150s. In 2021 purchased a Ram 1500 Longhorn limited. Very nice truck and with a few exceptions have had no issues with it. It pulls the travel trailer fine and is comfortable but. With that being said I am always being pulled back to the Fords. I don't know why but have been on the Ford website to build a new 2024 F-150. Hard to explain but I keep leaning towards the Ford pickup. I am sure some of you will say just get over it but some of you may understand what I am talking about.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was a Ford guy for 20 years. Love my RAM and won't go back. But I know what you mean. Do what your most comfortable with, and enjoy it!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One really nice feature on the new Ford F150s is the heated tail gate......now your hands stay warm while you're pushing them home!

I love all the jokes but as a Ram owner I'm on my third tranny and second engine by 120K. Let's just say I feel like I live in a glass house and don't want to throw stones :) :)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've owned all three. I would have bought another Chevy this time around, but they wouldn't let me order one and said I had to take what was in stock; RAM was happy to let me order what I wanted and take my money. I'm not that brand loyal.

Kygolfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone has there preference. I am the opposite. I am back in a Ram and it is like coming home. I love everything about it from all the button placements to the infotainment features it is like I never left.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I like things and dislike things about all of them, none of them are inherently bad vehicles. I chose the Ram because I had the fewest gripes with them and you can't beat the look of the Sports.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never did fords, My dad didnt like them. So it kinda rubs off on you as a kid. I was a tried and true GM guy all my life, till my brand new silverado 3500 diesel left me stranded in another state. It was at the the local dealer for three days due to DEF limp issues. They fixed it and on the way home from that RV trip, it went into limp mode again. That next week I got it fixed at the local chevy garage again. And promptly traded it in with a whopping 8800 miles on a RAM 3500 dually diesel. Honestly since I have had both back to back, the cummins pulls harder. Now I am in love with the RAMs interiors (lonestar). The others are just too much black plastic.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have had Chevy's, Fords, and Rams. My first new vehicle ever was a Ram so kind of tied to them. They all have their high points, in the end it is just what each is drawn to. If the Ford is calling then make yourself happy. Life is too short to not go the path you want.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought a new 1980, after a used 74pos 150, looked good, could not stand the motor. The 80 was a bare bones truck, quite good, but since them all Dodge, Rams, 1960's had some IHC trucks, still had some heavy ones when I retired.
Fellow across the street just bought a new F150, does not impress me at all, thou it should get good mileage with the baby motor in it.

Think the last time I had any major problem was in 1996, and that was a old field truck.
Did change the timing belt in one , but that was not not in any of the trucks

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a new 1980, after a used 74pos 150, looked good, could not stand the motor. The 80 was a bare bones truck, quite good, but since them all Dodge, Rams, 1960's had some IHC trucks, still had some heavy ones when I retired.
Fellow across the street just bought a new F150, does not impress me at all, thou it should get good mileage with the baby motor in it.

Think the last time I had any major problem was in 1996, and that was a old field truck.
Did change the timing belt in one , but that was not not in any of the trucks
The first truck I bought was a 1987 Ford Ranger. I purchased it new for, I think, about $9000. I drove that little truck for 12+ years, and the only thing I had to do to it was replace the front U-joint and the tie rods. Oh, and the main A/C hose because a support clip broke and it laid against the manifold and got a hole melted in it. Had about 175k miles on it when I sold it. I say about, because at around 150k miles the little nylon gear in the transmission that activates the speedometer cable wore out and I didn't replace it for a couple years, during which time it stopped tracking the mileage.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The first truck I bought was a 1987 Ford Ranger. I purchased it new for, I think, about $9000. I drove that little truck for 12+ years, and the only thing I had to do to it was replace the front U-joint and the tie rods. Oh, and the main A/C hose because a support clip broke and it laid against the manifold and got a hole melted in it. Had about 175k miles on it when I sold it. I say about, because at around 150k miles the little nylon gear in the transmission that activates the speedometer cable wore out and I didn't replace it for a couple years, during which time it stopped tracking the mileage.
Now that I think about it, my first one was a 59 ford 1/2 ton, thou I had a used 49 Dodge 2T
Had a Ford range extended cab for the dog, work truck I bought cheap, needed the transmission rebuilt.
1992 I think , I made money on that when I sold out. Great body on it.

Dad had a 1953 Ford deluxe 1/2 short box stepside, That was the best one , when They did it right.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
GF has a '21 F150 STX model with the Coyote/10-speed combo. The drivetrain is fantastic, tons of power and great mileage too. The STX is one level above base, it has painted bumpers, selectable locker in the rear, buckets and console but manual seats, cloth, regular reflector headlights, foam wheel, etc. Because of the seats not being power, there's no up/down adjustment and the seating position is weird for me. I love the look of them and the way they drive for the most part but I'd need a higher trim level so I could get the electric seats and better headlights. Also the column shifter doesn't function very well in hers, very easy to go in the wrong gear. I like our knobs better.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
GF has a '21 F150 STX model with the Coyote/10-speed combo. The drivetrain is fantastic, tons of power and great mileage too. The STX is one level above base, it has painted bumpers, selectable locker in the rear, buckets and console but manual seats, cloth, regular reflector headlights, foam wheel, etc. Because of the seats not being power, there's no up/down adjustment and the seating position is weird for me. I love the look of them and the way they drive for the most part but I'd need a higher trim level so I could get the electric seats and better headlights. Also the column shifter doesn't function very well in hers, very easy to go in the wrong gear. I like our knobs better.
I would much rather have the column shifter. I had no clue mine would have a knob, until I went to pick it up at the dealer and sat there for several minutes wondering how to put it in gear. During that same several minutes I also wondered where the ignition keyhole was - I had a key, where was the keyhole? Until I realized it had push-button start and the key was only to unlock the doors.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I would much rather have the column shifter. I had no clue mine would have a knob, until I went to pick it up at the dealer and sat there for several minutes wondering how to put it in gear. During that same several minutes I also wondered where the ignition keyhole was - I had a key, where was the keyhole? Until I realized it had push-button start and the key was only to unlock the doors.
I agree as far as "wanting" a column shifter. But her column shifter is very strange feeling, doesn't have good detents/is very vague and can easily be put in park instead of reverse. So over that particular column shifter, I'll take the knob

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok here goes. I have driven Fords my whole adult life. Have had 250s and 150s. In 2021 purchased a Ram 1500 Longhorn limited. Very nice truck and with a few exceptions have had no issues with it. It pulls the travel trailer fine and is comfortable but. With that being said I am always being pulled back to the Fords. I don't know why but have been on the Ford website to build a new 2024 F-150. Hard to explain but I keep leaning towards the Ford pickup. I am sure some of you will say just get over it but some of you may understand what I am talking about.
Maybe because you're feeling insecure in the Ram (or out of a Ford), or maybe because of social pressure from others. If you were to feel better by removing 'Ram' from the body and attaching 'Ford' badges to it, you'll have your answer.

There must've been a reason or reasons for selecting your current Ram. Would all those reasons go away with a Ford?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 103444 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
speaking of shifters, That 1980 Ford 300 6 cyl had the " new" floor shifter, 3 speed with OD.
It was about the same as stirring a bowl of noodles, Wife had a hell of a time with R and 1 st.
A 1990's standard shift Dakota was almost as bad
I am use to the push button and shift knob, don't mind it.
Here is a picture I have on the computor, in the back ground is one, fore ground is the Daughter with the 340 wedge , close ratio 4 sp, blue printed ,balanced. about 8K that really ran nice.

Attachments

• Duster.jpg
    Duster.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Ondgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
I’ve owned all 3. (American) All are and were good trucks. I’ve always mostly been a Ford guy. Was on a factory GM racing team but couldnt park my Ford near the pits. Chose a RAM this time cuz I don’t like the wimpy motors Ford is putting in their trucks. (Gas) Won’t buy a Chevy cuz of political reasons. It’s your truck for your reasons. Get the one you want and get “ ondgas”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat