Keep modding my 1500 or get a Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says, I am seriously considering selling my 2014 Ram 1500 CC Sport 4x4 and getting a 2015 Power Wagon Laramie. I would love to hear all of your thoughts on why I should do one or the other.

Current Vehicle:
2014 Ram 1500 CC Sport 4x4 short bed Hemi 3.92 gears w/LSD

Mods: (about $7000 total)
Icon Vehicle Dynamics stage IV suspension, 275/65R20 GY All Terrain w/Kevlar tires on stock sport wheels, Vararam intake, Moe's 87mm TB, ARH long tube headers, Diablo Trinity tuner, 180 degree thermostat (not installed yet), and catch can (not installed yet)

Mods still needed: (about another $3500-$4000)
skid plates (sport didn't come with them), rock sliders (very limited market for 1500), front steel bumper with winch and tow hooks

I've already put a good amount of blood sweat and tears into my 1500, but I'm starting to think it isn't really worth it to keep modifying it when a stock Power Wagon would be much more capable and bullet proof than anything I can to my half ton.

Keeping my 1500:
Pro: much faster, more agile, and more comfortable than a Power Wagon, better fuel economy (still bad), fits in a parking garage (I rarely use them), and it's nice to have a vehicle with mods unique to you.
Con: resale of the 1500 would be worse considering the cost of modifications, can't tow as much, not as capable off road, not as capable of handling abuse

Getting a Power Wagon:
Pro: Almost everything I could want straight from the factory with a warranty...HD chassis, sway bar disconnect, locking differentials, winch. I could use every bit of its capability while working around my yard.
Con: horrific fuel economy, not as comfortable, more expensive up front cost

Let me know what you think I should do. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC01062.jpg
    DSC01062.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,231
  • 2014-ram-2500-power-wagon-front-three-quarter-03.jpg
    2014-ram-2500-power-wagon-front-three-quarter-03.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 4,076

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I don't understand! Is there even a question?

Seriously if I could afford the power wagon and that's the direction you want to go you can't beat the power wagon electric locking diffs built in winch and electronic swaybar disconnect it's a beast of a truck from the factory.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much do you really need "off road ability" considering the tires you're running now? I mean, you've got street tires on it now so you can't be doing much off roading with the 1500. Unless you've got plans to start doing a lot more off road and hauling, from my perspective it's not very justifiable to move into a power wagon. At least that's how it appears to me.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'll touch on a few thing you said that stood out to me.

First, IMO, just asking this question males me think you are pretty set on a PW and just need that little nudge to get you there or maybe so you can justify the PW.

Second, you said horrific mpg. Well, I don't know if I would go that far but let's say it was horrific. That means your 1500 probably got terrible, not horrific, but terrible. Seems like your already used to bad mpg so having a PW that you seem to really want and may suit your needs better is worth the extra money in fuel and upfront purchase costs.

Third, your list of "cons" for the 1500 tell the full story. No offense to anyone here but unless you dump many thousands of $$$$$$$ into a 4x4 with an IFS they have a big weak link with that setup. Now a 2wd prerunner would be sweet. Any truck that will take a lot of abuse and still be able to drive home will most likely have a solid front axle.

Find a way to get the most for your 1500 and buy the PW. Good luck.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much do you really need "off road ability" considering the tires you're running now? I mean, you've got street tires on it now so you can't be doing much off roading with the 1500. Unless you've got plans to start doing a lot more off road and hauling, from my perspective it's not very justifiable to move into a power wagon. At least that's how it appears to me.

Thanks for the comment and good observation. I have had a very busy schedule since I bought the 1500 and haven't really had the time for off road trips. I was doing a lot of commuting, hence why I have A/T tires on it instead of more aggressive. That's also the reason I got stuck in my back yard (swamp area) earlier this year.
I have taken my 1500 off road on numerous occasions, but in truth have been very extremely careful with it considering it doesn't have skid plates and more importantly because the ARH headers drop almost 4 inches below the cross member and I haven't had time to have a custom section fabricated to fix it.

I guess even though I have had my 1500 for 18 months, I have never really beat on it like I was originally planning. My schedule has changed now and that is about to change. Except now I'm thinking that a PW would probably fit my needs better...better for working on my property and also for towing my car to track days. I would likely get a canopy for the PW and sleep in the bed instead of paying for a hotel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll touch on a few thing you said that stood out to me.

First, IMO, just asking this question males me think you are pretty set on a PW and just need that little nudge to get you there or maybe so you can justify the PW.

Second, you said horrific mpg. Well, I don't know if I would go that far but let's say it was horrific. That means your 1500 probably got terrible, not horrific, but terrible. Seems like your already used to bad mpg so having a PW that you seem to really want and may suit your needs better is worth the extra money in fuel and upfront purchase costs.

Third, your list of "cons" for the 1500 tell the full story. No offense to anyone here but unless you dump many thousands of $$$$$$$ into a 4x4 with an IFS they have a big weak link with that setup. Now a 2wd prerunner would be sweet. Any truck that will take a lot of abuse and still be able to drive home will most likely have a solid front axle.

Find a way to get the most for your 1500 and buy the PW. Good luck.

I think you are right. This thread is probably just a way for me to work things out in my mind before I go and do what I want to...get a PW.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what you have and what u want are very different.. yes the power wagon has all this awesome warrantied stuff.. but u are gonna wanna change some stuff and prolly void that warranty.. the 6.4 is a beast.. but ur 5.7 is heavily modded and prolly putting down better numbers. the 1500 is ifs... it will hold up for a while.. I beat the **** out of mine.. until I ripped it apart.. but I drove my truck like it was stolen. go drive one and see if it's what u want. I came from half ton to 3/4.. I won't go back to half ton... we will just buy the wife a 1/2 ton lol.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what you have and what u want are very different.. yes the power wagon has all this awesome warrantied stuff.. but u are gonna wanna change some stuff and prolly void that warranty.. the 6.4 is a beast.. but ur 5.7 is heavily modded and prolly putting down better numbers. the 1500 is ifs... it will hold up for a while.. I beat the **** out of mine.. until I ripped it apart.. but I drove my truck like it was stolen. go drive one and see if it's what u want. I came from half ton to 3/4.. I won't go back to half ton... we will just buy the wife a 1/2 ton lol.

True...I am probably going to go test drive a PW tomorrow. First drive impressions will be key. I have my car and motorcycle for speed, but we'll see if the powerful feeling of the PW can make up for the fact that it is probably a good 2 seconds slower in the 1/4 than my 1500...that's a guess and no I don't take my truck to the strip. I did do an acceleration run using the adyno app on my phone. It calculated a 5.7 second 0-60 time for my 1500...if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
This is just a thought... But have you considered finding a good off road shop and having them do a solid axle swap in the front? For what you're gonna eat on all the mods and trade in value, the cost would easily be justifiable. Then you'd have a lighter, more capable off roader than the PW. There's lots of ways to put winches in these trucks if that's all you're after, and sway bar disconnects can be built or bought really easily.
If you're looking for true offroad performance, you won't buy it from the factory... It's built not bought!

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my power wagon. It would be a no brainier for me.

0d262451093589f27c32cb96f36e6ce0.jpg
d0544edc14e9ac46596884158af5df5f.jpg
0acca57af82f99702d14258735e0d6f1.jpg
bb40a5f548c414fb11ca6764ecfb9c0e.jpg

And to those saying built not bought blah blah blah. Tell that to these guys I've been pulling out of the mud
23498f5fe6e637dd43ad8cb5755d34bf.jpg
1a7cd04b4db9d40fcb1dad37e5b30676.jpg
5daf89ed8c23e805b20a33eb2328cbef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayHemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was going to go from 1500 to a 2500 it would be a cummins. I would keep your 1500, but that's just my opinion.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Those are all 2500 or bigger trucks... It's no wonder they're stuck. Congratulations, you bought a $60k truck with a winch and lockers. The winch will get you way further out than the lockers will with a big truck. If those trucks had one they wouldn't need you. So yes, it's built not bought. Slapping a 6" lift and tires on a truck doesn't make it an offroad truck. It makes it bigger and heavier and slightly more traction.
You don't see 1 ton trucks tubed out as wheelers very often and when you do, it built, not bought.
But the whole purpose of my first post was to build what he's got since in the long run it will come out cheaper and he still has the truck he's put all the work into.

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are all 2500 or bigger trucks... It's no wonder they're stuck. Congratulations, you bought a $60k truck with a winch and lockers. The winch will get you way further out than the lockers will with a big truck. If those trucks had one they wouldn't need you. So yes, it's built not bought. Slapping a 6" lift and tires on a truck doesn't make it an offroad truck. It makes it bigger and heavier and slightly more traction.
You don't see 1 ton trucks tubed out as wheelers very often and when you do, it built, not bought.
But the whole purpose of my first post was to build what he's got since in the long run it will come out cheaper and he still has the truck he's put all the work into.

My truck is a 2500. I didn't need the winch to get in or out. I have had that truck in some pretty ridiculous situations. Never once has it given me a hiccup. I've never had to use my winch to get myself out. Only pulling others out. Bottom line is, the power wagon is the best factory built Offroad truck out there.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I won't disagree with that bro!
Now if only ram would put a solid axle and lockers and winch on a 1500, I'd be first in line!
We need a mini power wagon

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I won't disagree with that bro!
Now if only ram would put a solid axle and lockers and winch on a 1500, I'd be first in line!
We need a mini power wagon

As I said in my first post up top and Broke just mentioned, if you want something HD for off roading and being able to handle farm work that the OP mentioned then you need a solid front axle. If you want to fly across the desert at top speed then get an ifs truck. So, with your current 1500 setup you aren't really setup for either.

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with everything Skrap said. If you want a true capable offroad vehicle you need to build it. The Jeep Rubicon is a very capable offroad vehicle, but i cant tell you how many i have pulled out of the mud with my Explorer, along with f250s, 2500, Nissans and heavy ass 80s Suburbans.
Not saying the Power Wagon isn't incredible offroad, but for the price, you can build better.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with everything Skrap said. If you want a true capable offroad vehicle you need to build it. The Jeep Rubicon is a very capable offroad vehicle, but i cant tell you how many i have pulled out of the mud with my Explorer, along with f250s, 2500, Nissans and heavy ass 80s Suburbans.
Not saying the Power Wagon isn't incredible offroad, but for the price, you can build better.

When you say you could build better for the price, what do you mean? I assume you mean you could buy an older cheaper truck and put more of the money into modifications.
Assuming that somebody needs the HD capability and is set on building an HD truck, I think you would be hard pressed to take a new 3/4 ton truck and make it more capable than a Power Wagon for less money.

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its all on what you want. I dont know the price difference between a normal 2500 and the power wagon but im sure there is a huge difference between the 1500 and powerwagon.
Buying a *****, swapping the gears and adding lockers to the front and the rear would be cheaper.

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked up everything on price,and you would be hard pressed to build a 3/4 ton for the price of the powwrwagon. But building a 1500 would be easy, which is what the OP is thinking about doing.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I just looked up everything on price,and you would be hard pressed to build a 3/4 ton for the price of the powwrwagon. But building a 1500 would be easy, which is what the OP is thinking about doing.

I don't think "easy" would be the term I'd use. It comes down to the basic needs of the OP. In the end I don't think it is even a fair comparison to compare the capabilities of the 1500 to the 2500, let alone to the 2500 PW. In stock form they are 100% different trucks built for different purposes.

For a more realistic comparison you would meet to compare the chevy/ford 3/4 tons to the PW and go from there. But I would even take the chevy out of the mix due to the IFS. What would it take to make the F250 6.2 gasser as capable as the PW? Comparing anything else is sort of silly, IMO.

Gymkata, I just fixed your whole dilemma. Get the most money you can from your 1500 then sell either your Porsche or Lexus. Take the proceeds from both and, BOOM, you have your PW paid for in cash. My guess would be you owe less on the Lexus. Done and your welcome.:favorites13: