Keep modding my 1500 or get a Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I have been seriously looking into the PW again. I have also been considering building my own starting with a 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins. The thing is if I spend 55-60 grand on a truck, I think it would be a serious uphill battle with my wife to put another 10k+ worth of mods on it (especially since she is due with our 2nd in a few days). I can custom order a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon loaded to my liking for 55 grand out the door (about 7 grand below MSRP).

I LOVE diesel engines, but if take a look at it financially/logically, I would put at least 3 times more money into making a cummins like Power Wagon than I would spend in extra fuel for the 6.4l over its life. Hmmmm...

I see what you just did right there! You just found out how much your wife's christmas bonus is going to be and it got your "wheels spinning" again on the PW.:roflsquared: IMO, id go with he PW and 6.4 over trying to mod the diesel into a PW'esk type truck. That could get costly, fast. I think the 2500 diesel and the PW are two completely different beasts and really can't compete in each others realms.

OP
OP
Gymkata

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see what you just did right there! You just found out how much your wife's christmas bonus is going to be and it got your "wheels spinning" again on the PW.:roflsquared: IMO, id go with he PW and 6.4 over trying to mod the diesel into a PW'esk type truck. That could get costly, fast. I think the 2500 diesel and the PW are two completely different beasts and really can't compete in each others realms.

LOL...well, my wife does make very good money, but neither that nor her lack of Christmas bonus factor into the decision...funny stuff though Skrap. :favorites13:

Funny thing is I'd go the Cummins route in a heart beat, but as awesome as Ram is at building pickups, there are some glaring issues with how I want to build a truck. If Ram would offer the 2500 Cummins with the same gear ratio options as the 3500 and offer a rear locking diff option, then I wouldn't think twice...the thought of having to swap gears and add lockers is frustrating.

Last edited:

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's funny you say that as my wife also is paid very well, yet never gets Christmas bonus from her company. But my wife is cheap and prefers to drive my cars as opposed to buying her own lol.

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too was struck with this same dilemma not long ago, and to keep it short, after weeks of research, forum reading, videos, reviews, everything, it really came down to, do I NEED the towing capacity, and off road capability? Is the money worth it? To me, no, it wasnt. For as much, and the type of off road I do, my setup is plenty, and I never really need to tow more than 8k. I decided to keep my 1500 and continue to tastefully mod it for my needs, but I'm only 22, so I have lots of life left for bigger and better trucks! Although I see you are ordering a cummins now! Haha, I almost got a 3rd gen cummins instead of my 4th Gen hemi, but my buddy went and bought it!
64299ecfc874863ca9c0370e4376f504.jpg