key fob stopped working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrredline05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
So my key fog stopped working and wont lock/unlock the truck, it just died. It has worked all day, never seen a problem with it. I unlocked it with the key fob and then got in the truck, drove down the road to the house, got out and it just stopped working. When i closed the door i could see that dash and it said there was a door still open. I went around opened and closed each door and still nothing.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
mrredline05

mrredline05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
So do you think key fobs just last forever?

Have you ever went to change the channel on the tv and the remote just all of a sudden didn't work?

Howd you fix that?

not really looking for a smartass reply. Let me rephrase myself. Im assuming the key fob isnt working due to the truck thinking there is still a door open, even tho there isnt.

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AustinB is good at being a smartass

Midnite-CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've had this sort of thing happen as well on my 2014 Ram 2500. Never noticed if it said it thought a door was open, but if i'm not mistaken, that should only disable the remote start anyways if you have it?

I have both a 2011 2500 and a 2014 2500. I thought it was batteries, but I can swap the batteries around and the 2011 will still work, but nothing on the fob for the 2014.

I can't really tell you how I fixed it, because I don't know why but it will start working a day later. Hasn't happened in a while now... :shrug:

Kytow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fob died on 2013
Changed battery. For the next 20
Min it didn't work. Got in truck, drove 5 min down road got out. Worked. Hasn't stopped since. Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the FOB failing, even with the door closed all the way no key inside the door ajar light is still on right?????

I'd venture to guess they are related, maybe get a new battery, unhook the trucks battery, let the computer "reset" and see what you get.. other than that I got nothing...

My FOB failed, I've changed the batteries multiple times but the fob still never works so it may also be a FOB failure all together. But I'd start with the $5 battery and trouble shoot that first before buying and reprograming a new fob

andrewelmer1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all those whos key gobs stop working. Worked on my 2014... Follow these steps.
Unlock doors manually.
Turn ON hazards.
Hold the lock on the fob for 5 sec.
Now put the key fob into ignition and turn to ON position.
Click unlock on the fob that's in the ignition. You should hear it unlock!!
Turn vehicle off and turn hazards off(unless you want to drain your battery.)

This works because usually while cleaning the vehicle while running, you trip a safety mechanism that disabled the fob with out you knowing.

Cheerz!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
or a dead battery in the remote you can only hope that's it

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I just had a similar problem. Used fob New Years Eve. Dead New Years Day. Put in a new battery, nothing. Put in another new battery, nothing. Went away on business and came back still nothing so I was going to run by the dealer but the massive storm put a stop to that. I ended up remote starting (3XL) the truck with the good fob and let it run while I cleaned the snow (also had the doors unlocked). After the truck stopped on its own I restarted using the "bad" fob in the ignition switch. Let it continue to run while finishing up the snow removal. Once I put the truck back in the driveway and shut it off I tried the "bad" fob and it worked. It had been working ever since.
I suspect that I remote started on NYE with one fob but then used the second one to unlock and drive which caused one to go out of sync. Either that or the battery died and I only needed the secret handshake to get it going again. My car nor bike require anything more than simply replacing the battery to get going. Oh well.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If your dash say door open if the doors are closed then you probably have a problem with door lock system.
The module probably don't lock as the signals tell that a/some/all doors are open.
I had a failing FOB knob and could not lock the car (but unock it), but the dash door light was off with all doors closed.
Unhooking the battery for a couple of hours or overnight may correct that.
Chris

Robert Lopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
For all those whos key gobs stop working. Worked on my 2014... Follow these steps.
Unlock doors manually.
Turn ON hazards.

This works because usually while cleaning the vehicle while running, you trip a safety mechanism that disabled the fob with out you knowing.

Cheerz!!

Robert Lopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
I came across this response and figured what the heck. Followed the instructions to the T and it worked! Thank you!

Anthony Jackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unlock doors manually.
Turn ON hazards.

Cheerz!!

Awesome! This worked for me and I know saved me a payment to the local Ram dealer! Thanks Andrew!

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
So my key fog stopped working and wont lock/unlock the truck, it just died. It has worked all day, never seen a problem with it. I unlocked it with the key fob and then got in the truck, drove down the road to the house, got out and it just stopped working. When i closed the door i could see that dash and it said there was a door still open. I went around opened and closed each door and still nothing.

Any ideas?
I had a 2014 that had a fob fail like that. A battery replacement didn't help. Then a RAM parts guy took it apart and showed me that a couple contacts had come loose. They're small and round copper disks that need to be re-glued to the inside of the rubber fob. He said to be sure to use contact cement, not superglue. That solved the problem. They eventually came loose again and had to be re-glued.

VinceOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently bought a 2010 Ram 1500 and noticed it didnt come with a fob. So I called a locksmith and he came to me and programmed a new fobik. Well, turns out that didnt even work so now I dont even know if my truck comes with keyless entry to begin with. Any way to tell? Most threads ive found through Google are pointing to the WIN module.

BMAZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unlock doors manually.
Turn ON hazards.

Cheerz!!

BMAZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Andrew...I was having the same issue with my 2017 Ram 1500...replaced the battery and it still wouldn’t work...used your instructions and was able to pair up the fob with the truck...I thought I would have to get another fob from the dealer...I’m a happy camper......thanks again...

UCFknightFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Unlock doors manually.
Turn ON hazards.

Cheerz!!

Both Key Fobs were doing nothing. No beeps, no unlocking and no starting. This sounded like some bizarre Contra move but I gave it a shot and to my suprise, it worked! Thank you so much for the advice. I had to make sure I was already in the truck when I manually unlocked the doors because I was setting off my alarm.