Key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwiley12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummings
I have the 2014 ram key fob that goes into the whole my current ones quit working the lock and unlock buttons on both do not work. It says to program the new fobs put in ignitin turn on hold panic and unlock down at same time and you will hear a chime thats all great but what do you do when your current key fob unlock buttons do not work? Thats whyi had to get new ones !!! Thanks yall any ideas ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
call or go to a Mobile Locksmith
ask if they have the ability to program FOBs

I drove to a Locksmith, they have a store & several vans

They did a good job & it did not take much time

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Certain hardware stores can do it too, depending on where you live. Usually in a larger area there'll be one or two. It costs a pretty coin each year for software updates & licensing from the equipment makers, therefore only the larger stores (or one store of a local chain) likely have the equipment to do it. Same with locksmiths. You'll have to make a few calls.

I ended up taking our Jeep to the dealer a couple yrs ago when I needed a fob. After pricing everyone out (incl the hardware stores), the dealer was about $25 more...and there I got the REAL chrysler no-muss fob. I've had some aftermarket fobs in the past which didn't last all that long or their range diminished (even with new batteries), and $25 for an OEM one was worth it for me. I made an appointment, took it in and they did it on the spot. Call the dealer part's dept if you want to go that way.

A guy can buy used Chrysler fobs pretty cheap too. Esp like at swap meets, salvage yards, etc. There's a guy at our local swap meet who sells them for like $8-10 each. In that case, you might consider getting AlfaOBD & MX Plus and do it yourself and then you'll have the software to use to debug your pickup if you run into problems down the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTlaAQnk0Xs

So you have a few options there. Best of luck!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Not everyone can erase the data on the key FOB
Personally i would not purchase a FOB that had been used in any other vehicle.

If the seller during the erasing left any Bits & Bites
that could be caught by computer & cause a quitch

Stores that i know that have a Locksmith, that sells & programs FOBs :

ACE HARDWARE
Tractor Supply, if the locksmith is in the store