Key Only Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
In 2021, I bought a used 2012 Ram 2500 4 x 4. I have had starting issues with it where it won't crank when the key is put in the start position. Yesterday, I had it towed to my mechanic to have the issue checked out. He is aware of the issue. A few weeks ago he replaced some suspension parts but the truck started fine. I discovered the issue a few days after I bought it and think it may be the WIN module. The problem is intermittent (Happens to me but when it is at the shop, it works fine) and I don't trust the truck anymore to drive it anywhere. My question is about the key-only option with RAMS. I received two sets of keys when I bought it and both of them are traditional keys. No fobs. Was this an option with the truck? I don't want to take it to a dealer and have a huge overpriced bill. Can I call my local dealer with the VIN number and find out if the lack of a key fob option was part of the truck? The truck was a former municipal fleet truck.

OP
OP
R

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
I didn't find anything about the key-only option but I found that it has the SENTRY KEY THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM. Thank you for the link

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Keys should be for door or tailgate, not the ignition. You can bypass that win module to cig lighter relay.

It came with fobs too?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CHeck the wire on the starter the one that slides on they are notorious for getting corroded/lose connection will cause it to not start sometimes.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would be worth checking the battery connections too. Even running it to a parts store and getting a load test done. That's more comprehensive than just putting a meter across the terminals. Next time it doesn't start, wiggle the key and try a few times.

Your mechanic should check the fuses by the pos battery terminal connector. & starter solenoid too. There's also a start relay in the fuse box. Wouldn't hurt to swap it with another 'like' relay nearby.

A WIN module if that's what it the issue is, can be cleaned. It's a diy-medium project if you have some mechanical/electrical skills. Search Youtube for "Ram WIN module fix or repair". There are a lot of how-to videos on them. It sounds like you rely on the mechanic for a lot of your repair work though. If that's the case it probably doesn't pay to have them dig into it ...considering their labor. Unless the mechanic has some diy capabilities. A guy can get in there with a q-tip and clean the contacts (if that's what it is) real easy and put it back in the dash (goes behind the key). Sometimes the contacts need bending back too. They're not real cheap to buy, but labor isn't cheap either.

If you have a heavy key ring, remove the ram keys. Heavy key chains add stress to the Win Module.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am pretty sure that The 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 WIN MODULE is part of the Ignition Switch.

Unscrew the 2 screws on the knee bolster under the steering wheel.
That exposes the 4 screws that hold the ignition in place.
Unplug the wiring that is plugged into it.

Then you can open the box & clean inside, as Jeepwalker suggested
there are several YouTube videos

There is a little shop in Texas, someone in that shop sometimes reads these posts.

They can answer questions

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
Keys should be for door or tailgate, not the ignition. You can bypass that win module to cig lighter relay.

It came with fobs too?

The truck didn't come with key fobs. I called the dealer that sold it and the service guy ran the vin number and it did not come with fobs. It has a big key that sticks into the ignition.

OP
OP
R

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
It would be worth checking the battery connections too. Even running it to a parts store and getting a load test done. That's more comprehensive than just putting a meter across the terminals. Next time it doesn't start, wiggle the key and try a few times.

Your mechanic should check the fuses by the pos battery terminal connector. & starter solenoid too. There's also a start relay in the fuse box. Wouldn't hurt to swap it with another 'like' relay nearby.

A WIN module if that's what it the issue is, can be cleaned. It's a diy-medium project if you have some mechanical/electrical skills. Search Youtube for "Ram WIN module fix or repair". There are a lot of how-to videos on them. It sounds like you rely on the mechanic for a lot of your repair work though. If that's the case it probably doesn't pay to have them dig into it ...considering their labor. Unless the mechanic has some diy capabilities. A guy can get in there with a q-tip and clean the contacts (if that's what it is) real easy and put it back in the dash (goes behind the key). Sometimes the contacts need bending back too. They're not real cheap to buy, but labor isn't cheap either.

If you have a heavy key ring, remove the ram keys. Heavy key chains add stress to the Win Module.
I am not a very good mechanic nor do I have some of the special tools. I took my truck to the mechanic last month to have some suspension parts replaced and to recharge the AC. He inspects my truck for the annual state inspection and I wanted to give him the business. He is one of the rare mechanics who actually gives you an estimate for the repairs before he starts the work. When I pick up the truck this week, I am going to take a look at the module, and thanks for the key chain tip. I have two sets of keys. It has not had the intermittent starting problem at the mechanic. He has tried it many times. I want to avoid going to the dealer when possible. I have watched a few of the WIN module videos and will check the contacts. Thanks for your assistant.

OP
OP
R

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
Update on intermittent starting problem. A few days after my last post, I went to the mechanic shop and picked up the truck. I drove it for a few days without issue. I went to a tattoo appointment and when I came back to my parking space, the truck wouldn't start and there were no warning lights or ding for the door being opened. I called AAA and had a wrecker on the way when I wiggled the key again and got it to start. I canceled the wrecker and drove to the local Ram dealer. I called them and they said to bring it to the dealer and drop the keys. They did an assessment (Roughly $300) and found the solenoid/starter wire was corroded. They replaced it along with an idler pulley that went back the day before. I picked up the truck after paying the bill and drove it without issues. I haven't driven it in a few weeks due to repairing the driver's side floor and removing a rotted rocker panel. I went to start it the other day and the problem with no warning lights, door chime, or cranking. The door indicator light was on along with the small center screen but nothing else with the key. I removed the WIN module and took it apart. It doesn't look very dirty inside. I spoke with the dealer today and a new WIN module is $660 plus $80 to program it. If the truck won't start, I also have to add a tow and the dealer labor. I've owned this truck for two years and have maybe driven it occasionally when it wasn't being repaired (It has spent more time at mechanic shops or broken down in my yard than highway use). It was in rougher shape than I thought when I bought it. It was meant to be my truck to haul stuff and plow the driveway in winter. The truck is no longer reliable and in the winter, I need a reliable plow truck. Do I gamble on getting the WIM replaced and hope it fixes the problem? Are there relays in the TIPM or other wiring I need to check? This forum has been very helpful and this will be my first and only Ram. I am considering selling it but want to have it running.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OK !!

I reread your original post on the subject.

Your Ram came with Transponder Keys
Transponder Keys are a sealed unit, with a computer chip inside of it

1697750587312.png

watch

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure your battery wasn't real low ...after not being driven in a while? Or corroded battery (or grounds) connections? A low battery or bad connections would do *exactly* as you described. Makes the dash light up in crazy ways. Tells you the computer is bad...and all that. Scares a lot of owners. Make sure your battery and connections are super-good. You really need to have it 'load-tested' at a parts store or place that sells batteries.

You might have multiple things going on which you are confusing with one 'start' issue, and therefore not being reliable. Your truck is a complex device consisting of 15k+ parts, miles of wiring, and more computer code that you can shake a stick at. Plus it's a 2012. And on top of that you are in Maine where grounds can become very corroded. You just have to knock the problems down one at a time. Newer trucks BTW have *far* more electronics, starting in 2013. 2012's are kind of the best of the older year trucks in terms of being simpler. Your truck should have an easy-to-service transmission, and you won't have to worry about a $2500 electric power steering failing. If you upgrade to the mid-teens trucks, they have their own set of problems. And who knows? Maybe a pesky rodent chewed a wire somewhere??

So, charge up the battery and have it load tested. Replace if not good. The win module, there's a ton of videos on them on youtube. Type in Ram or Chrysler WIN module. They used them in other vehicles and they all are (sometimes) subject to similar issues. That doesn't mean your truck HAS a Win Module issue. It means some vehicle have issues like that. Esp where heavy key chains were used. Maybe buy a used one off ebay and try that.

Also, yeah, a lot of 2012 Tradesman's for example had no remote, or fobs. So what? Less crap to go wrong. Thieves high on CBD hardly even know how to use a key anymore. Let them focus on stealing Kias....You're good.

If a guy is going to own an older vehicle, ya almost have to develop new skills or be prepared to accept you'll need to pay plenty for ongoing vehicle repairs. A good security blanket is to buy a new one with warranty. But that has a cost too. Pick yer poison.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should almost find a local (non dealer) mechanic, who's sharp as a whip and can dig into a variety of things as needed. There are guys like that out there if you turn over enough stones.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, yes, there are relays on the computer board. And they've been known to fail in the 2010-2012 era. But doesn't mean that's your truck's issue/s. Mostly it affects the fuel pump and it wouldn't start at all if that goes. The fuel pump won't turn on when you turn the key. So...turn the key and listen to hear if the fuel pump turns on.

dodgekenworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K ill try to help no expert here could you post pictures of key and win I dont understand about not having key fobs and just key to start. My problems with this crap was on 2009 ram 1500, do you get any warnings in centre of dash about key being bad your problem sounds more like timp under hood but iam interested in key, your lucky with cost on win replace mine cost $1800 and make sure your truck battery is good