Kicker KS series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looking into changing the dor 6x9s to the kicker ks series. Not sure if I want 2 way or 3 way speakers? Anyone have experience with either of these. I know 2 ways are going to have more bass but how much is the difference?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Go to the Kicker web site, support section. Look at the owner's manual for the two styles of speakers. Look at the graph of the bass frequency response and the sound pressure levels at bass frequencies.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to the Kicker web site, support section. Look at the owner's manual for the two styles of speakers. Look at the graph of the bass frequency response and the sound pressure levels at bass frequencies.
Thanks

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I installed the KS series 2 way 6x9's in the rear doors, and 2 of the 3.5" 2 way in the dash. Absolutely amazing difference. I don't know what the 3 way would sound like, but the 2 way were perfect.
looking into changing the dor 6x9s to the kicker ks series. Not sure if I want 2 way or 3 way speakers? Anyone have experience with either of these. I know 2 ways are going to have more bass but how much is the difference?

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the KS series 2 way 6x9's in the rear doors, and 2 of the 3.5" 2 way in the dash. Absolutely amazing difference. I don't know what the 3 way would sound like, but the 2 way were perfect.
I know that 3 ways wont have as much bass but i am wondering how much less. I am planning on a sub down the road but it isnt high on my priority list.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know that 3 ways wont have as much bass but i am wondering how much less. I am planning on a sub down the road but it isnt high on my priority list.
The rear door speakers don't get much bass anyway. they are simply to fill in the sound. They are crossed over to limit the low frequency. Just do 2 way in the rear doors, leave the front doors alone, change the two corners in the dash to 2 ways, then add your amp and sub(s). If the subs start to overwhelm the system, change the roof speakers to 3/4" or 1" tweeters with bass blockers to bring it back around and balance it out a bit. Everyone's tastes are different, of course. Just my opinion to increase the sound quality without a lot of money.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear door speakers don't get much bass anyway. they are simply to fill in the sound. They are crossed over to limit the low frequency. Just do 2 way in the rear doors, leave the front doors alone, change the two corners in the dash to 2 ways, then add your amp and sub(s). If the subs start to overwhelm the system, change the roof speakers to 3/4" or 1" tweeters with bass blockers to bring it back around and balance it out a bit. Everyone's tastes are different, of course. Just my opinion to increase the sound quality without a lot of money.
I have changed out the dash speakers to the kicker ks series 3.5 and added bass blockers. Big difference. I have seen the older 41ksc 6x9s going for a lot less and their specs look the same as the 44ksc. Guess kicker just changed out the numbers and the ks logo to red on the cone. Maybe a combo of 3 way in the front and 2 way in the back or 2 way or 3 way all around. Sub will come later. As well as headunit

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have always been a Polk fan so I put Polks 6x9 DB series in the rear and the doors and 3.5 DB's in the dash, but Polks wont fit in the front doors so I picked up a pair of the 3-way KS 6x9s. Holy f$%k they are bright! And I like prominent mids and highs. I had to turn the highs almost completely down to tame them (so now my rears sound dull). Some of the highs would make me wince. I do really like the punchy bass from them though. I think I will ditch them eventually and try their CS series or maybe give the 2-way KS 6x9's a try. This was my first experience with Kickers so I didn't really know what to expect.

I would stay away from the 3-ways speakers, which is something I never thought I would say. If you plan on replacing the dash speakers I would definitely add a 4-ohm resistor. I tried mine without it first and they overpower the door speakers quite a bit. This is what I used and it's worked really well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071S7NNP3/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually just ordered new door, center, and corner dash speakers. I noticed improvement in the factory stuff once I added a separate Alpine MRV-M500 mono amp and Kicker CVT 8" shallow mount sub on the factory sub box. The dash speakers are much more noticeable now, but the door speakers still sound muffled. The good thing now is I don't have to crank the system to 20 and beyond to hear the sub...or the rest of the system for that matter. Hoping changing the door, center, and corner dash speakers will give me even better sound quality.