Knocking New Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know what that sound is, but not normal!! I had several cummins engines before my current hemi 6.4 and never had anything sound like that on a cold start.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the knocking noise is? New truck, 200 miles after 5 minutes warming up it started this, then quit. Dealer tried to tell me cold start, wow! 6.7
That's NOT a knock. It is at a cadence at the rate of the serpentine belt, or such. I suspect the belt/ tensioner/idler pulley. THAT makes more sense in that the noise quits as well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's NOT a knock. It is at a cadence at the rate of the serpentine belt, or such. I suspect the belt/ tensioner/idler pulley. THAT makes more sense in that the noise quits as well.
DITTO. Almost like something flaying around pulleys, bad belt coming apart?

OP
OP
J

Jphump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first thing to my mind was a bolt that was not torqued bouncing around internally, then finally lodging somewhere or going into the pan.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like others have said, definitely not a “knock”. I’d take it back to the dealer with the video and raise some serious h-e-l-l!

Adam

OP
OP
J

Jphump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with Drummin4jc, but what do you do when they say they can’t find a problem?

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I agree with Sherman's diagnosis. Belt, idler, or front mounted accessory. Pitch is way to high to be coming from inside the engine.

If your dealership heard that noise and said they could not find a problem, take it to a dealer that can locate their backside without assistance.

Some dealerships are great at selling. Others are great at repairs. Once in awhile you find one that's good at both. If you find that dealer, treat them well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first thing to my mind was a bolt that was not torqued bouncing around internally, then finally lodging somewhere or going into the pan.
Omg sure hope not. If so be. M fluffer to find or diagnose on a tear down. Brand new truck let’s hope it’s just like belt or pulley thang for OPs sake

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with Drummin4jc, but what do you do when they say they can’t find a problem?
I’d threaten legal action. Watch how fast something happens. And I’d call Mopar/Ram themselves and inform them of the problem. As well as “Ram Cares”. The more irons you get in your fire, the better!

Adam

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea thats not normal bring it right back to the dealer and if they wont do anything about it go to another.

OP
OP
J

Jphump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually it is still at the dealer. Along with the engine noise, there is a bad vibration between 70-80 mph. They tried tire balancing, apparently no luck, now they ordered a new driveshaft. Maybe new isn’t the way to go any more

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Actually it is still at the dealer. Along with the engine noise, there is a bad vibration between 70-80 mph. They tried tire balancing, apparently no luck, now they ordered a new driveshaft. Maybe new isn’t the way to go any more
Lots of the last year Challengers/Chargers are having issues,consensus is they're using subpar components as they can't get good components.All i know is you'd have to damn near give me a 2024 Challenger/Charger or 300 as they're having issues no other years have had,and i don't think the trucks are much better

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with Sherman's diagnosis. Belt, idler, or front mounted accessory. Pitch is way to high to be coming from inside the engine.

If your dealership heard that noise and said they could not find a problem, take it to a dealer that can locate their backside without assistance.

Some dealerships are great at selling. Others are great at repairs. Once in awhile you find one that's good at both. If you find that dealer, treat them well.
Having been in multiple dealers over the past 48 years, I can tell you accurately, that dealer techs have severely declined in competency over the decades for numerous reasons beyond the scope of this thread.

That said, I'd recommend that he seek the diagnosis from a true "Master" regardless of cost.

But, I'm the hopeless pragmatist!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Lots of the last year Challengers/Chargers are having issues,consensus is they're using subpar components as they can't get good components.All i know is you'd have to damn near give me a 2024 Challenger/Charger or 300 as they're having issues no other years have had,and i don't think the trucks are much better
The OEM driveshaft center support bearing has been an issue for years. It's just not robust. People overlook it and when it starts to wear out causes driveline vibration that goes straight in to the trans, which can and will grenade the trans and rear diff in spectacular fashion.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a tensioner. Look at the tensioner(s) when you 1st start it. You’ll probably see it matching that sound with its movements

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The OEM driveshaft center support bearing has been an issue for years. It's just not robust. People overlook it and when it starts to wear out causes driveline vibration that goes straight in to the trans, which can and will grenade the trans and rear diff in spectacular fashion.
If you're referring to the cars JXB has an update for their center/carrier bearing.