Knowing when it is time to let her go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im at a cross roads folks. need a little non partisan advice.

I love my Ram. I like the way it drives. I like the power. I like the looks. I like the features. However, she has some miles on her. at 213k, I feel the engine is in really good shape. NO leaks, no drips, PP used every 7,000 miles. I worry about the transmission. It is also time for new tires. I also want to replace the front suspension but cannot do it myself due to rust.

Everything on the Laramie works as it should. all electronics, heat, ac, 4x4, new rotors and brakes.

I am starting to get a thought in the back of my head that it is time to trade her in for a newer model.

1. I owe ~$8000 on the note. yes i bought a used higher mileage vehicle
2. having someone do the labor on the front end will cost be ~$400 not including parts I have bought
3. New tires are ~$800-$1000

im so split here. Opinions welcome.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You wont get what it is worth to you, especially if the work needs to be done. You probably wont even be able to get what you owe on it.

I would keep it, do the work and drive it until it is totaled (non-maintenance failure is more than the value of the vehicle).

The problem is you still owe so much for such a high mileage vehicle.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
agree with the others. I think your in it for the long haul unless you want to take a hit on the trade in value and roll the balance into another loan (not a good idea imo)

personally, I'd fix it and do what you have to do to keep it on the road until you get it paid off or you have a major component failure (engine or trans).

just my .02

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It sounds like you're looking at 1400 to get her tip top again. You don't know what the newer one will need. I'd fix it. The tires could be taken with you if something goes wrong and you already have the parts. If you don't mind the SRA's you could get a good used set cheap as another option to keep cost down. Is it 213,000 km or miles.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
213,000 Miles. yes. payoff is about what she is worth. It's a tough call and while I want to drive her until the wheels fall off, I fear a major trans failure.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can trade it in/private sell for what you owe or more, then I would do that. Doesn't cost you anything to try, but if not I would keep it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It is always cheaper to fix what you have. Tires come in all prices. If your trans is working fine and has been maintained, no reason to think it's going to fail.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks for the opinions. I travel 45 miles one way to work daily with this vehicle if that adds to the equation. I am starting to feel some different vibratins and what feels like extra play in the drive line but cannot pinpoint it. could all just be looseness from the age.

sounds like I need to do some real soul searching on it.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
213,000 Miles. yes. payoff is about what she is worth. It's a tough call and while I want to drive her until the wheels fall off, I fear a major trans failure.
Just trade it in or sell and find another, doesn’t hurt to look or run some numbers before you sink more money into it.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Life is short, get what you can for it, get a new one, work out a good deal on a left over model so you won't be in the same situation down the line, then enjoy your new RAM without worry about trans. problems. Just my 2 cents.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you can get out what you owe or close, trade it in...

But dont get another high mileage vehicle if you worry about high mileage maintenance costs

Missed if this was diesel or hemi... if diesel it still has lots of life left... but expensive if it breaks

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well spoke to my buddy who is the sales manager if local dealership. Will give me 12 for my ride.

Don't shame me. I drove an Ecoboost. It drove well. And fuel mileage was incredible. I struggle for 15.5 regular average. This was getting 23! It had all I have except leather. And had 24k miles. He is going to see about what sort of dodges they have at other dealership

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well spoke to my buddy who is the sales manager if local dealership. Will give me 12 for my ride.

Don't shame me. I drove an Ecoboost. It drove well. And fuel mileage was incredible. I struggle for 15.5 regular average. This was getting 23! It had all I have except leather. And had 24k miles. He is going to see about what sort of dodges they have at other dealership

If I was in your situation and had an offer for $12K, I would trade it in in a second...

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Nothing wrong with Ford. They are very good trucks.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The best truck out there is the one paid off. Fix it and pay that one off. When the motor goes put in another. You would be amazed by how good it feels to have a paid off truck.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's some **** financial advice.
It wasn't financial advice, it was my 2 cents, and it sounds like he worked it out, so good for him, that's what counts.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel this is strictly a personal choice. If it was me and I loved everything about my truck, everything was working, and the body was still good I'd fix it up and keep it, don't worry about the miles. Either way it's gonna cost you money, fix the old or finance new. There's pluses to both sides, just you're decision.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk