Knowing when it is time to let her go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely a personal choice. My 09 has 128K on it, and I can hope to get what you have on yours' I've already priced engine and/or trans replacements in case needed. I ride my bike most days for commuting because - like you, I'm not getting great mpg out of the Hemi. But, just yesterday I had to drive 45min both ways to drop the daughter off at her place, and recall how much I enjoy being in and driving my truck. The only thing I'd consider trading for is another Ram with the 3.6.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks again for the thoughts guys. Smiley, I had a paid off truck before I got my Ram. it was a 2004 Tundra that I drove to 285,000 miles. I loved that truck but with as much as I use it for business travel, I felt it was time for something newer and potentially more reliable. I really liked the ram when I saw it but bought one with too high of miles for what it was. I had and possibly still have every intention of getting this one to paid off status. that should get me to about 270,000 miles on her.

again, thanks for the conversation guys. The allure of better fuel economy is strong. so is the fear of the unknown and the roar of the Hemi.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The best truck out there is the one paid off. Fix it and pay that one off. When the motor goes put in another. You would be amazed by how good it feels to have a paid off truck.
Smiley makes a good point. I bought my RAM thinking I'd keep it until the tires fall off.
Trucks that are properly maintained last a lot longer than a passenger car.

I think I'd time/phase my repair wish list and do what needs doing first and then target when I did the front end, maybe pressure or steam wash now and apply oil and rust treatment to make it easier later.

A rebuilt engine is about $250-350/month for one year. Assuming 15K miles a year there are '09's with < 120k miles on the road, so Trans can come out a fresh wreck at a junk yard.

If your buddy really has that kind of an offer that's great, but that's a car payment starting all over again......

KLEEEEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I owe I owe off to work I go, keep in mind 65 comes on quickly

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed, as i think about this more.....if you can do it without putting yourself in financial jepordy, go for it! that was my mentality when i traded my 15 Silverado for my 17 2500 late December of last year. yes, I lost some money on the Silverado, but with the cost of installing oem tow mirrors and load range e tires on the Silverado factored in, it really wasn't that much money out and I'm WAY happier now.

just too many things about the chevy I didn't like and it was 1500 series, when I really wanted 2500 series from the beginning.

my dad got sick from Lou gehrigs disease at age 48, died at 55 after being in a nursing home, paralyzed, on a ventilator for 5 yrs. absolutely horrible.

It changed my perspective on things a lot. life is short, a vapor. we don't know how much time we have left.

just my .02. good luck to you.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about your Dad there GSRAM. that is so rough and such an awful thing to witness.

in talking to the boss lady, we are going to pursue looking a bit. I think that Overall with my responsibilities for work and family, the piece of mind of a lower mileage vehicle at a somewhat similar payment than I have now outweighs the desire to have a paid for vehicle. Had my ram had fewer miles on here. Say 175k or so, it would be a completely different story

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
If you can swing a new truck and not go into financial jeopardy, then do it. My wife lost both her parents to cancer within 15 months of diagnosis. Her mom had always wanted to take her back to Germany where they lived for a while. that never happened.

I wanted a truck for the past couple years. Financially couldn't do it until last October. So I did.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at it this way...
Even if you have to sink $5 grand in it,your still better off rite now....

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Look at it this way...
Explain? I owe $9k on a truck with 213k miles. If I pay my regular payment and drive my regular miles when done I'd have a paid for 260k mile truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Look at it this way...

I'd rather put $5k into a better truck than an old beat up truck.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In this situation I’ll trade it if you owe $8k and the dealer willing to give you $12k I’d do it but also better make sure you haggle and can get w/e vehicle you decide at a great price and just don’t think you have to pay sticker because they’re giving you $12k for your ram.. that’s the way dealership usually offset trade in cost.

I’m usually the guy that says just keep what you have and fix it but owing that much it can spiral out of control if something major breaks. Then your stuck with the bill or even trading in a broke truck and get shafted by the dealer.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BTW, I changed the oil this weekend. put 7.5 quarts of 5W20 PP in the truck and it is now showing a P1521 code on it. googling states this is incorrect oil weight but this is what i have used for nearly 4 years in this truck. not sure why it would throw this code.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
7.5 qts?

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes. That's what I have put in each and every time and it is dead center of the full mark on the stick.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, I changed the oil this weekend. put 7.5 quarts of 5W20 PP in the truck and it is now showing a P1521 code on it. googling states this is incorrect oil weight but this is what i have used for nearly 4 years in this truck. not sure why it would throw this code.
What's you're oil pressure say? I've heard what throws that code is the oil pressure sender and when it goes bad it throws that code instead of oil pressure sender bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I checked and pressure looked good. 52 highway, 40ish idle.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sorry to hear about your Dad there GSRAM. that is so rough and such an awful thing to witness.

in talking to the boss lady, we are going to pursue looking a bit. I think that Overall with my responsibilities for work and family, the piece of mind of a lower mileage vehicle at a somewhat similar payment than I have now outweighs the desire to have a paid for vehicle. Had my ram had fewer miles on here. Say 175k or so, it would be a completely different story

thanks PUM. appreciate that. yes, not a good time in my life and there's a big hole left with him gone, but good had a plan and I trust in that. hope you can work something out. I would think now would be a great time to get a 4th when truck

I also can understand your comments on the Ford, that's an excellent truck too.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Idle in gear is 35psi. 1850 rpn on interstate is 53psi. These are both at operating temperature. I did see pressures in the low-to-mid 60s before the engine was up to temperature. Typically my oil temperatures run about 210 to 215 after an interstate Cruise

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Explain? I owe $9k on a truck with 213k miles. If I pay my regular payment and drive my regular miles when done I'd have a paid for 260k mile truck.

You are correct, you would OWN a truck With 260000 on it. If your set on going in more debt, why not buy new? What are the incentives right now on left over 17's? It costs more now because it will be worth more later compared to used. The warrant wont run out as soon either. We all have a problem choosing based on want instead of need. You asked for advice heres mine. Paying interest is like flushing money down the toilet. Not having equity in a vehicle or a home is a bad financial place to be in always and should be considered in financial decisions. My $0.02 .