Knowing when it is time to let her go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I don't know all the variable's, you do. Go with your gut instinct, so you can sleep well at night. Yes life goes by in the blink of an eye.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is my take on the matter, so take it with a grain of salt. If it were me, I would find me a good Ram dealership nearby and see what they would give me for trade. If they would pay it off as is, I'd hop in a leftover 17 on the lot that they will be trying to give away.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not that it matters and most people don't think of this. I sold new cars for like 3 months right after I graduated college back in the day.

But the value you get for trade is a basically a made up number based on what they have in flex on their vehicle.

For example people would come in with a car that was worth lets say 6k max. They would be like I need 8k or I'm gone. Ok. Lets say the car they want is 25k, but we could technically sell it for 22k and still win. So we will be like ok we will give you the 8k for your trade. But then instead of coming down 2k which we would have, we just don't come down at all on the car being purchased.

Customer is like coool i got 8k for my car!!! In reality they could have gotten 2k off of the vehicle and 6k for their car. Thats the same total price. But it makes them feel good to get a high number even though the money difference was the exact same.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not that it matters and most people don't think of this. I sold new cars for like 3 months right after I graduated college back in the day.

But the value you get for trade is a basically a made up number based on what they have in flex on their vehicle.

For example people would come in with a car that was worth lets say 6k max. They would be like I need 8k or I'm gone. Ok. Lets say the car they want is 25k, but we could technically sell it for 22k and still win. So we will be like ok we will give you the 8k for your trade. But then instead of coming down 2k which we would have, we just don't come down at all on the car being purchased.

Customer is like coool i got 8k for my car!!! In reality they could have gotten 2k off of the vehicle and 6k for their car. Thats the same total price. But it makes them feel good to get a high number even though the money difference was the exact same.
Thanks. Yea, I understand it that way. Just feels good to get what you need. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Exactly why you determine price they will give you on the rig you want first. Say you are going to sell it outright. Then later once final price is determined then you can work out trade and the price on one you are buying is already static. I got $14k on my Durango if I recall and only owed $8k. I had already negotiated the price of my Ram before that. So then just had to make sure they did what they said and we were all happy. You also have to remember they need to make money it isn’t a charity.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year? If its older than 10 trade. My'01 was 16, and had 79k, but it had rust problems underneath. To much to make improvement, bought a new '17.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I had a 2002 Ram Lone Star Edition with 5-spd manual trans and 138K miles, would have lasted forever but the climate control was giving me fits. Finally inability to defrost windshield ice on a trip convinced me to upgrade. The 2013 Tradesman is primo, 24 mpg, premium 8-speed transmission, incredible power with a six cyl (not towing) and better standard options than the old "premium" trim truck. Three years now and still loving it. Don't go to a new car dealer, find a small local independent with a dealer's license who buys late-model cars wholesale at the mannheim auction -- save yourself thousands.

lynchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
my 99 dodge ram 1500 5.2 has 240,000 miles on it and runs like a top...still tow a 23' pontoon boat with it and also use it for trips into the mountains towing an atv trailer...i do trans maintenance myself once a year and i have no reason to think it's gonna die on me anytime soon...(knock on wood)...so maybe 213,000 miles isn't as bad as you think it is...jus sayin'...

FXLRRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just was in the same scenario with 200K on my truck...the difference being my truck was paid off a long time ago.
My dilemma was like yours in that my truck ran awesome and had zero mechanical issues.
I opted to trade for a new truck and get what I thought was a good trade in value at $6k towards the cost off a new ride.
I have no regrets.
In your situation though, I would opt to keep the truck, make the repairs and drive it into the ground.
You'll likely be upside down on a loan if you trade it and that's never a good idea.

ramjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
20`14
Engine
What is "PP"? I was thinking Royal Purple but that doesn't work. Kind of feeling stupid but I just can't come up with what it might mean.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
213,000 Miles. yes. payoff is about what she is worth. It's a tough call and while I want to drive her until the wheels fall off, I fear a major trans failure.

Havent read all the pages yet but has your transmission shiwn any signs of this to come? Or are you just concerned because you have rolled over 200,000 and you think it will “just happen” because of the miles?

If there are not signs of failure than treat it right and it should be fine.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What is "PP"? I was thinking Royal Purple but that doesn't work. Kind of feeling stupid but I just can't come up with what it might mean.

Pennzoil Platinum.

Silver bottle.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Havent read all the pages yet but has your transmission shiwn any signs of this to come? Or are you just concerned because you have rolled over 200,000 and you think it will “just happen” because of the miles?

If there are not signs of failure than treat it right and it should be fine.
It's hard to say. I feel some play in the driveline system and additional new vibration when I am going between full coast and throttle to maintain speed. Also when I cancel cruise and then let the truck go from 75 to 65 and when I re-engage throttle there is a significant shudder. I can baby and feather it to minimize. Ive looked at ujoints and they appear good.

Alot is fear of unknown. If I do have a catastrophic engine or trans issue, then I am digging deep into savings to repair. And still pay that monthly bill afterwards.

But, I drove her 150 miles this weekend to Nashville and back. She did great. Losing the 50 pennies and the rest of the console junk makes the ride quieter.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
thanks for the opinions. I travel 45 miles one way to work daily with this vehicle if that adds to the equation. I am starting to feel some different vibratins and what feels like extra play in the drive line but cannot pinpoint it. could all just be looseness from the age.

sounds like I need to do some real soul searching on it.
run her on the highway, put it in neutral feet off the pedals....any vibration that worsens means u-joints very inexpensive and most likely your source of vibration.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does not worsen when this is done.

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just before I got my Ram, I had an avalanche with a similar sound. It turned out there was a transfer case bearing that was busted. It would have needed a new (rebuilt) transfer case. The cost to rebuild the original was more than buying and plugging another one in. I ended up trading it in for my Ram and got a good deal on a certified 14. My point is, even though I swore it was the transmission, it wasn't ($3k+). This took a few trips to my mechanic before it was diagnosed.

If by chance you don't have 4wd, then disregard.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, trade it in and try to break even. It's not a matter of if, but when you will have major failure and it sounds like you are concerned about the tranny. If it failed tomorrow, you'd be out more money on the basis that you'd have to sell it for less, or get it fixed and still the vehicle would be at a similar value. At some point, it becomes a money pit, sounds like you've taken great pride and care in your vehicle to make it last this long, but nothing is forever. Good luck either way.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just before I got my Ram, I had an avalanche with a similar sound. It turned out there was a transfer case bearing that was busted. It would have needed a new (rebuilt) transfer case. The cost to rebuild the original was more than buying and plugging another one in. I ended up trading it in for my Ram and got a good deal on a certified 14. My point is, even though I swore it was the transmission, it wasn't ($3k+). This took a few trips to my mechanic before it was diagnosed.

If by chance you don't have 4wd, then disregard.
Drew. That is interesting. I kinda suspected that could possibly be the cause of it and I felt slack in there with truck in park.

How did mechanic diagnose it? Which bearing was it? I don't have a whine.

BTW, I'd that avalanche had the auto transfer case, it would be the same as I have in my truck. The NVG246

Last edited:

Ramjet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L for my 2016 Ram 1500. The Commander was dependable, and I didn't have any plans on trading it, but after a bird punched a hole in my radiator on a 105 degree day, a cracked head made me decide to trade. Glad I did, this is my 3rd Dodge truck and it feels good to be back home.

Reactions: U&A

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Here is my 10 Cents worth...On the MPG have you compared same model year and motor to the Ford for MPG? I would think if near same year the MPG will be near the same with any of the 1/2 ton trucks. If you keep the one you got and put say 4000 grand in it and it causes you to be late for work,Time off lost with working on truck etc to cost you,Not to mention the aggravation? If you buy a new one and get the extended warranty drive it for 120000 miles no major issues and dump it for another before it gets up high mileage......Not to mention enjoyment of a new vehicle for 3t05 years with fun driving it!

Life is short save your $$$$ do with out all your life to find out health gone with $$$ at the back side of life when you may not need a truck at all any more! Ha Ha...the old thing is like this on back side of life it seems.....When your young and can do what you want Physically you do not have time or money. when you have the time and Money....your too old to care!