Lack of engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman3420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey everyone brand new here, got a 2020 ram 2500 with the cummins, got it a couple months ago and I love the truck but the lack of turbo and happy noises leaves much to be desired even with the baffle removed, wanted to know what else I could do without spending a bunch of money on the truck to just increase noise a bit, I've had a couple friends suggest pulling the factory air scoop but I have my doubts, I'd like to get the banks air box eventually just gotta wait a couple months and get the money saved so I can order the box, manifold and turbo piping all at once. Thanks in advance yall!

OP
OP
D

Deadman3420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe I'm just too old to understand the question here. Are you saying you want a noisier truck?
Yes. I want a NOISIER truck. I love the sound of the diesel engine and turbo I just don't enjoy how quiet dodge has made it. It's a truck not a prius haha.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately I don't wish to be running high rpms 24/7 I was just hoping for a little more turbo and engine noise
My only thought, as the kids do down here, is run an open, larger wider exhaust system, kinda what they like when rolling coal. But to make Diesel Noisier, ahhhhhh, not many ideas on that one. Only thought would be a radical open air cold CAI, but running an oiled CAI on Diesel real bad idea. Just a thought there, not a recommendation ref CAI.

Jake103

Reaction score
Maybe a bigger exhaust/tip out back otherwise maybe a CAI. :head3: Otherwise probably not. The newer ones are quieter because not everyone wants a loud diesel amongst other advancements.
I remember a buddy had an old 2nd gen and you couldn't even order in a drive through it was so damn loud. I would just leave it. You will eventually outgrow that turbo spool noise you can hear from a mile a way and those "Happy noises". If you want a loud diesel get a 2nd gen or pre emissons diesel. Lol :jester:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Quiet is the name of the game now.

I'm not sure if the HD trucks have Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) or not but that does make a difference. Not as much as you want but it will allow a little more noise if you bypass (or remove) it.

Electronic common rail is pretty quiet so you will have to spend some money to "liven" it up. I recommend looking at some diesel-specific forums to get some ideas. I'm not sure what (if any) emissions rules you have but keep those in mind too.

I had an old 2003 Ford F-250 diesel (7.3L that was the same engine as the school buses and garbage trucks) and it was loud and smelly...boy do I miss it!!!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Leave it alone and stop pulling parts off before you break something. Put the baffle back in, it's there for a reason. There is nothing you can do to make it louder short of fully deleting the emissions equipment (and voiding the warranty).

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get a reciprocating saw and start removing your exhaust at the front of the bed then continue to remove more until you are satisfied.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is remarkable how much quieter the 2019 plus cummins is. I had the gen4 truck and it was pretty quiet, now this gen 5 one is super quiet. Love the peace and quiet. You can be going down the road and actually have a conversation in the cab. And the best part is in a drive thru, I dont have to shut off the engine to order!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a 2010, quiet, no rattle or wind noise,
Then I got new hearing aids and damn

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Btw my 2014 is way better then the wife’s 2008 CRV but these are all gas

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Deadman3420 be prepared to return the the air intake/filter box back to stock if you make any mods. There have been several people reporting issues with the truck loading up the DPF(or falsely reporting such condition) causing a CEL due to an improper air filter.
Get a reciprocating saw and start removing your exhaust at the front of the bed then continue to remove more until you are satisfied.
Probably won't gain much sound unless the SCR and DPF are removed. Shortening the exhaust to somewhere under the truck isn't the greatest idea as the exhaust temps are over 1000°F during DPF regeneration.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone brand new here, got a 2020 ram 2500 with the cummins, got it a couple months ago and I love the truck but the lack of turbo and happy noises leaves much to be desired even with the baffle removed, wanted to know what else I could do without spending a bunch of money on the truck to just increase noise a bit, I've had a couple friends suggest pulling the factory air scoop but I have my doubts, I'd like to get the banks air box eventually just gotta wait a couple months and get the money saved so I can order the box, manifold and turbo piping all at once. Thanks in advance yall!
You could try removing the firewall insulation pad.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98443 miles.

OP
OP
D

Deadman3420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Quiet is the name of the game now.

I'm not sure if the HD trucks have Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) or not but that does make a difference. Not as much as you want but it will allow a little more noise if you bypass (or remove) it.

Electronic common rail is pretty quiet so you will have to spend some money to "liven" it up. I recommend looking at some diesel-specific forums to get some ideas. I'm not sure what (if any) emissions rules you have but keep those in mind too.

I had an old 2003 Ford F-250 diesel (7.3L that was the same engine as the school buses and garbage trucks) and it was loud and smelly...boy do I miss it!!!
We "have emissions rules" but they're not very well followed in this area due to the type of city we live in, I will be doing a delete eventually but was just hoping for a little more noise is all sadly doesnt seem to be the case haha

OP
OP
D

Deadman3420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 98.5 24v for seven years. My wife and I had to shout or sign. I love the relative quiet of my 2007 2500 5.9. Yeah,I'm old.
Hey man to each their own. I understand the desire for a quiet diesel just not really what I'm after haha.