Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I normally keep my back seats folded up. They havent been unfolded in atleast 2 weeks. I unfolded them yesterday and one had a big mark all across it like maybe it got wet. Has anybody else seen anything similar?

20190401_190241.jpg

20190401_190233.jpg

20190401_190215.jpg

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me it looks like something got into the holes (looks almost like a cleaner).

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya i just dont get it. The seat has been folded up. If it was water why is it only showing in the middle of the seat instead of the bottom. The bench part of the seat doesnt have anything on it

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did something transfer from the seat bottom to the seat back? Like was there a stain or moisture already on the seat bottom when you flipped it up?

I wonder if the seat back would dry out and get back to normal over time.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
3rd brake light leaking?
Its possible. I need to get that weatherstripping and put on there. There is a leak because the floor is damp every once in awhile. But i didnt think it was enough to soak the seat like that.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did something transfer from the seat bottom to the seat back? Like was there a stain or moisture already on the seat bottom when you flipped it up?

I wonder if the seat back would dry out and get back to normal over time.
No it was dry. Somebody was setting in it is the only reason it was down. Its dry in the pics. The leather is raised in that zig zag pattern.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it was dry. Somebody was setting in it is the only reason it was down. Its dry in the pics. The leather is raised in that zig zag pattern.

Oh. To me it kinda looked like the foam underneath puffed up from moisture, or something wet was against the leather and then "peeled" off it, lifting the leather in that weird pattern.

Also not sure what the white residue looking stuff is in the perforations. Sunscreen? Cream?

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh. To me it kinda looked like the foam underneath puffed up from moisture, or something wet was against the leather and then "peeled" off it, lifting the leather in that weird pattern.

Also not sure what the white residue looking stuff is in the perforations. Sunscreen? Cream?
Your guess is as good as mine on what the white stuff is. I think it just left behind from water maybe. The seats rarely get used. Its not any type of lotion or cream though.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt give up on it yet.

Maybe treat it like a wrinkle and apply a warm compress to try and shrink it....there is a YouTube vid from the interior guy at West Coast Customs where he microwaves a cloth in a bucket of water to get it steaming hot and then lets it sit on the wrinkle

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you know someone who works at a local dealer, find out who they use as a detailer. I don't mean some kid in a wash bay, but a traveling detailer who works on their trades. Those guys can work miracles.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I would venture 3rd brake light leak that the top portion of the seat was able to air dry quicker than the part folded up. My buddies did the same thing due to the brake light leak. Replaced the whole back seat under warranty thankfully.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would venture 3rd brake light leak that the top portion of the seat was able to air dry quicker than the part folded up. My buddies did the same thing due to the brake light leak. Replaced the whole back seat under warranty thankfully.
Lucky him lol! Mine is a '12 with a 123,000 miles on it so dont think i qualify for any warranties anymore

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could be worse... Had my 2012 with seats just like yours. Girlfriend said, lets take the puppy for a drive it'll be fun! Well puppy got car sick, all over my back seats. Scrubbed like hell but all the way up until the day i sold it, you could see remnants in the holes.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could be worse... Had my 2012 with seats just like yours. Girlfriend said, lets take the puppy for a drive it'll be fun! Well puppy got car sick, all over my back seats. Scrubbed like hell but all the way up until the day i sold it, you could see remnants in the holes.
Oh man that would suck! Did it make the lady happy that the dog go to go? Lol. I mean i know it could be worse. It could be peeling off or ripped but just ****** you off when you try to take care of something by keeping them folded up and they still get messed up.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try to hook up with a detailer if you can, or check out Autopia and/or AutoGeek forums for opinions on what it might be and how to fix it.

Worst case is trying to get a seat back cover which probably isnt hard to do, might cost a little more than it should since most probably wont sell just the back portion.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well its been raining in oklahoma since about midnight last night and i went to check for water. Funny thing is the passenger side which is the side thats messed up is completely dry. The driver side literally has water standing in the back of the cab. The only place that looks wet above is between my headliner and window. Headliner is completely dry. The water is about a nuckle deep lol. The truck is setting fairly level and may even slope to driver side just a tad if anything.

20190404_101535.jpg

20190404_101539.jpg

20190404_101721.jpg

20190404_101740.jpg

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would try to hook up with a detailer if you can, or check out Autopia and/or AutoGeek forums for opinions on what it might be and how to fix it.

Worst case is trying to get a seat back cover which probably isnt hard to do, might cost a little more than it should since most probably wont sell just the back portion.
Yeah i will have somebody look at the seat and see if theres anything that can be done. Im not going to buy a seat unless i find one very cheap. 7 yo truck with 123,000 miles on it and thats the only flaw with the entire back seat. I think it will be ok i just want it to continue. Now that i know how bad it is leaking.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does anybody have any info on dropping the headliner? Once it stops raining i will pull the 3rd brake light and see if its wet behind it but i think its the rear window or the rubber gasket on top of the truck possibly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody have any info on dropping the headliner? Once it stops raining i will pull the 3rd brake light and see if its wet behind it but i think its the rear window or the rubber gasket on top of the truck possibly.

its not hard to do, just time consuming because you need to remove a lot of stuff.

Visors, overhead console if equipped, grab handles/pillar post trim, upper seat belt anchors (so you can remove the pillar post trim covers), coat hangers, rear dome light.

Even after all of that, I could only get the headliner down just enough to get my hand in between it and the airbags (if equipped)....in my case I did it so I could make sure the shark fin antenna was sealed to the roof (was getting some condensation inside the truck during certain weather and wasnt sure if leak or just hot-to-cold changes).

FWIW your leak looks *exactly* like mine, which was the third brake light. One damp corner of headliner and a few drops of water on the black bezel around the rear glass. Mine didnt make it down to fill the underseat area (AFAIK), but once the dealer dealt with the third brake light, it didnt leak again.