LED taillights (factory) intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWillis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 Rebel, 5.7 has factory LED tail lights. Lately, I have been getting a message that the left rear turn signal is not working, and I have verified that it is not working. However, as I am driving it around it will begin working again, verified, and then later on stop working again.
This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I pulled the light and everything appears to be ok. I know LEDs are usually pretty reliable. The replacement light is pretty pricey. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and if it might have been caused by something other than the bulb. The wires and connectors all look good.
Suggestions? TIA
RW

OP
OP
R

RWillis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In perusing other threads trying to discover a solution I came across a couple of possibilities for the rapid flashing and error message. First, one post mentioned burnt out bulbs and the change in resistance causing the computer to display the error message.
What I discovered upon closer inspection on my truck is there are 5 rows of led bulbs with three bulbs in each row. The top 3 rows, the middle bulb in each one is not working. This, I suspect is the issue that causes the message and the rapid blinking. The message comes and goes. What I need to observe when the message is not active is whether or not those bulbs have started working. Either way, for now it is a nuisance and not urgent repair since the remaining twelve bulbs are functioning, meaning I have active turn signals even with the warning message on.
Additionally, just to share the wealth of knowledge found on this site, another thread caught my attention about the cruise control randomly not working and then later start working again. For a couple of years mine has done this. It would stop working and then some time later begins working again. I had the dealer check it out a couple of times and they never found anything wrong. I suspected the steering wheel switch but haven't replaced it yet.
I do a lot of highway driving for work and really like my cruise. So, when I read the post and saw others having the same issue one post said that discovered that if they hit above the switch on the steering wheel a few times it would start working. So, this morning as I was driving to work, I tried the cruise, not working. I then hit on the steering wheel assembly just above the switch a few times and lo and behold the cruise came on and started working!
Probably not a permanent fix but will do till I get around to replacing the switch!
What a great brain trust of fixes and problem solvers here!! LOL

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2015 Sport left turn signal/brake light does the same thing (LED's). I get the left rear turn signal not working. Blinks fast on the dash but the light blinks normal. Most of the time it works fine, then other times it works when it feels like it. I notice the 3 center lights/bulbs not working sometimes. I'll eventually buy another one but haven't got around to it yet.