Let's talk about square vs round tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hope y'all know what I mean. It strikes me that some tires (and I think they tend to be AT or MT tires?) look very flat across the top and almost a 90% angle drop to the sidewall. And damn..they always catch my eye. It gives them a beefier look to me.

Now I'm curious if there are certain brands and models to watch for when buying? Also of they handle differently than more of a rounded sidewall type tire (good or bad)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s all about size. Some people like the “stretched look”, which I think is as bad as putting a wing on a car/truck, some people love the bulged our sidewall look. Some prefer a tire that just fits and gives the boxier appearance you look. It’s all preference, and it is more a function of size than anything brand specific.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like my Nitto ridge grapplers have the look you’re talking about. It’s all in the shape of the outer “knobs” of the tread.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I worked at a Tire installer, I noticed that LT tires had the "squared" shoulders, whereas the other tires did not.

Even the same brand. I looked at some Michelins, Goodyears, and General tires, the same size, and this was the case.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s all about size. Some people like the “stretched look”, which I think is as bad as putting a wing on a car/truck, some people love the bulged our sidewall look. Some prefer a tire that just fits and gives the boxier appearance you look. It’s all preference, and it is more a function of size than anything brand specific.
Boxier tire. Thats a good descriptor! And I like that look for some reason. Maybe its years of having big round bulgie clown tires as I called them on my Tacoma. I swear my Taco could have gone amphibious with those tires!

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I feel like my Nitto ridge grapplers have the look you’re talking about. It’s all in the shape of the outer “knobs” of the tread.
I had nitto terras on a 2004 Ram. Its been about 10 years but that rings a bell.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I worked at a Tire installer, I noticed that LT tires had the "squared" shoulders, whereas the other tires did not.

Even the same brand. I looked at some Michelins, Goodyears, and General tires, the same size, and this was the case.
Aha!!! Now that you say that when I see such a tire on my daily walks (lots of pickups with them around these parts) I'm going to check that out. I really should start taking pics of tires I like and compare.