Level kit on a Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long time member. I currently have a gen 4 that I took a year to get right when it came to level kit, airbags, coils, and wheel and tire size.

im looking at getting a 21 Limited Night Edition so I’m starting from scratch.

- can you even put a level kit on a limited with self leveling airbags?
- on my 2015 because of upper arm problems you had to use a two piece 2.5 lift. Is this still the case?
- do I need to replace the coils like my gen 4 for better towing?
- what offset should I be looking at for wheels assuming I’m below 12” wide?
- tire size assuming I’m not going 35”
- spacers?

help!

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would start by avoiding the airbags on the new one all together ... Then just level with Bils .... If you get the ORP it will sit 1” higher from the start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would start by avoiding the airbags on the new one all together ... Then just level with Bils .... If you get the ORP it will sit 1” higher from the start

Lets assume the airbags just come with it, then what?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Lets assume the airbags just come with it, then what?

Then you’re going to spend a lot more money to level it. (That’s the short answer)

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you put a small lift in instead? Or does it all need to come out?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Can you put a small lift in instead? Or does it all need to come out?

you don’t need to remove it. You can retain the air ride system and all of its functions.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The issue with air ride is your limited selection of what you can do. BDS is the go to for a lift.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get the air system. Let me repeat it one more time, don't get the air system. you're still on time and hopefully you havent signed anything yet. coil system is much simpler and won't give you the issues of the air system. You get air only if you hate yourserlf that much or so that's why neighbors say about it.... I added myself into that bunch after dealing with a Jeep GC overlander with all the whistles and i was silly enough to get into the air system when everybody in the Jeep GC forum told me not to get one with the air system.
Did i say don't get one with the air system ? lol, must be a sign...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a video review from a guy that has had the links and a set of 35’s on his truck for a while with no issues...

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately if he wants a limited there is no option...full air suspension only.

An easy way to level an air suspension truck is using the adjustable ride height links, such as this kit...

https://www.revelperformance.com/lifts/2019-ram-adjustable-air-leveling-links-set-of-four-links/

Here is a pic of one using the setup with 285/55/22 ridge grapplers...

View attachment 229500

And a comparison pic to a stock truck...

View attachment 229501
Did you use the day star pucks?

how much overall did the truck raise, or did you raise the entire truck not just level?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use the day star pucks?

how much overall did the truck raise, or did you raise the entire truck not just level?

Its not my truck, I dont know for sure. I snagged those pics off of revels website.
They are 285/55/22 ridge grapplers tho.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Don't get the air system. Let me repeat it one more time, don't get the air system. you're still on time and hopefully you havent signed anything yet. coil system is much simpler and won't give you the issues of the air system. You get air only if you hate yourserlf that much or so that's why neighbors say about it.... I added myself into that bunch after dealing with a Jeep GC overlander with all the whistles and i was silly enough to get into the air system when everybody in the Jeep GC forum told me not to get one with the air system.
Did i say don't get one with the air system ? lol, must be a sign...

Why not?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hoses will leak, compressors will fail. Before that happens cold weather will wreak havoc and only one side gets up, switch won’t work, OR2 doesn’t keep the height past 40mph, drives harsh in that mode cause air wasn’t designed to drive in OR2 only to sort an obstacle, your tire size options are limited without a bracket lift cause the system will drop the height on the fwy. your options for lift are faking the system changing the links but you’re stuck with the air shocks, or you’re stuck with 1 company to lift it higher with brackets. Air is a headache the moment you buy it let alone the bill when you’re are out of warranty and you have to pay To fix it. It may ride better than stock if you’re not lifting and you want to keep the ride as bone stock as possible. But then for how long? You might get lucky with it. I’m sure the ones that haven’t failed yet are still out there. Part of headache is the waiting. Lol worst when the POS fails outside of your warranty.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
The hoses will leak, compressors will fail. Before that happens cold weather will wreak havoc and only one side gets up, switch won’t work, OR2 doesn’t keep the height past 40mph, drives harsh in that mode cause air wasn’t designed to drive in OR2 only to sort an obstacle, your tire size options are limited without a bracket lift cause the system will drop the height on the fwy. your options for lift are faking the system changing the links but you’re stuck with the air shocks, or you’re stuck with 1 company to lift it higher with brackets. Air is a headache the moment you buy it let alone the bill when you’re are out of warranty and you have to pay To fix it. It may ride better than stock if you’re not lifting and you want to keep the ride as bone stock as possible. But then for how long? You might get lucky with it. I’m sure the ones that haven’t failed yet are still out there. Part of headache is the waiting. Lol worst when the POS fails outside of your warranty.

Interesting. Friends and myself have 1000s of miles on them and they are fine. I guess it is one of those things.

We are in North Carolina so the "cold" might not be an issue. And we are all stock except some have rims/wheels.

MetalDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Interesting. Friends and myself have 1000s of miles on them and they are fine. I guess it is one of those things.

We are in North Carolina so the "cold" might not be an issue. And we are all stock except some have rims/wheels.

Lots of issues with air ride in northern climates, with many reported cases in Canada. He is right, you don't get a real lift with the air system, it's a puck and cheating the air system by using leveling links. I had a Limited 1500 with air, and went to a 2500 Limited w/o air. Now I have tons of options for suspension lifts.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Horrible system .... Don’t even think about it .... Just asking for headaches ....

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for those not doing the OEM air suspension but still leveling the truck are you doing airbags (Firestone or other) for towing to keep the rear from sagging?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So for those not doing the OEM air suspension but still leveling the truck are you doing airbags (Firestone or other) for towing to keep the rear from sagging?

That is pretty much your only option. A level truck with no load is going to sag ass when a load is applied.
I prefer bags. I have them and really like them. Others like bumpstop type replacements etc because of there ease of use. But, bags have full adjustability to get everything perfect.